• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 12:16 PM, ESeffinga said:

Hah! Looks like a number of them are Watkiss storyboard type pieces, but that Governor eyeball popping 2pg sequence... One for framing and hanging in the dining room, methinks! 

;)

And the Abraham getting shot through the head page.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:19 PM, mister_not_so_nice said:

I guess we'll see what happens when a collector focuses on a particular series dumps his collection at once :idea:

yep, interesting case study on what happens to a niche when a big player gets out of the market.  :preach:

7 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

yep, interesting case study on what happens to a niche when a big player gets out of the market.  :preach:

I remember this happening with the Kirby market waaaayyyy back in the day when I first started collecting. (2001 or 2002?) My memory of what happened was,  after the market was flooded, a big ol dip occurred,  and then over time the market corrected itself to pre-liquidation prices as things got sold back up. 

Now granted. WD artwork does not have the same prestige nor time tested strength the Kirby market did at the time.  But as long as it's just one collector pushing the big red button, the market will probably follow a similar pattern.  2c

Edited by Khazano

12 hours ago, Khazano said:

I remember this happening with the Kirby market waaaayyyy back in the day when I first started collecting. (2001 or 2002?) My memory of what happened was,  after the market was flooded, a big ol dip occurred,  and then over time the market corrected itself to pre-liquidation prices as things got sold back up. 

Now granted. WD artwork does not have the same prestige nor time tested strength the Kirby market did at the time.  But as long as it's just one collector pushing the big red button, the market will probably follow a similar pattern.  2c

Why did so much Kirby art hit the market all at once? Was it artist or collector driven?

In either case, it doesn't feel as if we're seeing the same phenomena here. The WD collector base is significantly smaller than the number of Kirby collectors around. Besides, how much of the market was driven by the fellow who is now selling? If he was buying in quantity, it created a shortage of pages for other collectors, prices started to rise, the rising prices attracted still other collectors, and the market flourished. That may be about to change in a big way.

Bronty mentioned that the WD market isn't as hot as it used to be. Is it because it's biggest collector is out of the game? Without his participation, will it ever get as hot again?

15 minutes ago, Hal Turner said:

Bronty mentioned that the WD market isn't as hot as it used to be. Is it because it's biggest collector is out of the game? Without his participation, will it ever get as hot again?

I think it's more because the property is cooling off in general, not just the art market.   Happens to everything that gets popular.  Nothing can stay at the top of its influence forever.  It's more a question of whether it'll be cyclical and come back, or if it will drop off for good.      

1 hour ago, bisquitodoom said:

I think it's more because the property is cooling off in general, not just the art market.   Happens to everything that gets popular.  Nothing can stay at the top of its influence forever.  It's more a question of whether it'll be cyclical and come back, or if it will drop off for good.      

I think it's a bit of both. The OA market for mid to lower tier pieces has cooled off, in general. SOME pages are still appreciating, such as cosmic Marvel stuff from the 70's through Infinity Gauntlet and its tie ins. And, Batman stuff is kind of doing well (Capullo, Sale and Lee, particularly, although I'm seeing Finch stuff cooling quite a bit).

I expect Cosmic Thor stuff to start heating up  too. And not just because of the film.

1 hour ago, bisquitodoom said:

WD has been going on long enough that the art can easily be separated into distinct tiers. There's potentially a lot of it available out there, and we will see how well the James J stuff does.

1 hour ago, Hal Turner said:

Why did so much Kirby art hit the market all at once? Was it artist or collector driven?

In either case, it doesn't feel as if we're seeing the same phenomena here. The WD collector base is significantly smaller than the number of Kirby collectors around. Besides, how much of the market was driven by the fellow who is now selling? If he was buying in quantity, it created a shortage of pages for other collectors, prices started to rise, the rising prices attracted still other collectors, and the market flourished. That may be about to change in a big way.

Yep. The OA market is small, and quirky. A few deep pocket (or obsessed) collectors can distort the market. Their preferences can drive prices. Sometimes, the rest of the hobby agrees and that particular art segment takes off. Other times, it's artificial. I think run of the mill Romtia Spidey Art falls into the latter category, to be honest. Yes, some important pages and covers in that run are iconic and deserve their value. But, a lot of that stuff is not that good, and doesn't deserve the elevated pricing it gets. IMHO, anyway. I think it's being propped up by a few zealous collectors.

There are some OA trends I just don't get. Herb Trimpe Hulk pages, is one of them. That, IMHO, is SOLELY due to the fact he was the first to draw Wolverine for publication, and that 1st appearance page went for so much. It drove collector interest in Trimpe Hulk stuff.

I'm not interested in his stuff at all, with some limited exceptions. I'd love to get my hands on a Godzilla page from his run on that book at Marvel. Not because I love Trimpe art, but because I loved that Godzilla run.

Those pages are hard to find in the wild. But, if anyone has one they want to sell, PM me! I'll look at it!

17 hours ago, Khazano said:

I think it will correct a little but not to the same extent.  There are probably more potential buyers out there than before.  And for the most part, these pieces aren't as valuable as the Kirby pieces so they should be easier to absorb.

4 hours ago, Hal Turner said:

It will never get that hot again. That's not to say that I expect prices to crash.  However, TWD was not just hot.  It was nuclear!  Everything about it was pure gold.  The comic was a number one seller.  I believe #100 sold 300k issues.  Think about that for a second. lol

It was the most popular cable show ever and has a successful spinoff.

TWD was not hot because of JamesJ but he did add fuel to the fire, that's for sure.  But it wasn't just OA.  It was storyboards, comics, slabs, sketch covers...  he had an incredible collection.  

Last month, TWD sold 65k issues.  Not bad.  Just barely outside the top 10.  But it is nothing like it was before.  Just look at the Walking Dead thread in the modern comics section. It used to have people posting every hour.  Now, weeks go by with barely any comments.  It is not dead but the fire is gone.

I loved TWD and got a few of my friends to read it but most of them gave up before 100.  I gave up around issue 110.  But I would still be a buyer for the right piece.  But I am also a seller at the right price.  Unfortunately, as much as I loved the first 50 issues, the last 100 have been hard to digest.  However, I suspect that the better pages will hold up well value-wise.  The lower tier pieces could get walloped though

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

There are some OA trends I just don't get. Herb Trimpe Hulk pages, is one of them. That, IMHO, is SOLELY due to the fact he was the first to draw Wolverine for publication, and that 1st appearance page went for so much. It drove collector interest in Trimpe Hulk stuff.

Surely the interest in Trimpe Hulk pages has something to do with the fact that he was the primary Hulk artist for the better part of a decade and anyone with any sort of nostalgia for his work would be squarely in the age group that is the primary driving force in this hobby.  It's not always just about Wolverine.

20 hours ago, rocket1312 said:

Surely the interest in Trimpe Hulk pages has something to do with the fact that he was the primary Hulk artist for the better part of a decade and anyone with any sort of nostalgia for his work would be squarely in the age group that is the primary driving force in this hobby.  It's not always just about Wolverine.

I’m sure that’s part of it. But, I think 90% of it is Wolverine related. 

23 hours ago, rocket1312 said:

+1,000,000