• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Nexus said:

More than 500 pieces of WD art plus 750 WD comic books in the collection. :whatthe: 

Zero surprise that James is moving on to other life priorities and pursuits and not just cashing out to fund a bigger WD purchase.  

Good luck to him and the sale!  I'm sure I'll be bidding on a page or two at least.  ;)   

Hope this all works out for him... I don't know the gentleman, but everyone here seems to be speaking well of him. I just don't get the point of dropping it all at once, I have to imagine some amount of value is lost... though I guess there may be a sweetheart deal with ComicConnect that might help close that gap.

5 minutes ago, vodou said:

Roughly 13% of all to date?

yes, approximately. That's a significant slice of a popular long-running title like TWD. I know he publicly was looking for key moments of the story and most likely paid well for them, but I hope he at least got the bulk of his collection before the big run-up in prices (i.e. before 2012).

41 minutes ago, Hekla said:

yes, approximately. That's a significant slice of a popular long-running title like TWD. I know he publicly was looking for key moments of the story and most likely paid well for them, but I hope he at least got the bulk of his collection before the big run-up in prices (i.e. before 2012).

After.

He was the 800 lb. gorilla for just about all WD art for a 2-3 year stretch. The exception being covers. He had some real competition there from a collecting tandem, who appeared to only go after covers. But for interiors, it was pretty much all James.

1 hour ago, Hekla said:

Most of it was bought after 2012. IIRC James was originally drawn in by the TV show not the comic. He's a really nice guy and I wish him the best of luck with the sale, just read the Bleeding Cool article and the reason for selling doesn't surprise me... I sometimes feel that this hobby requires me to be a bit selfish with my time & money when I think about who really gets all the enjoyment out of it and what else I could be doing instead.

It feels like things are coming full circle and it's due a correction. The big spikes in prices on the secondary market have eventually driven up prices at source to a point where a new / recent page with a character (first appeared in #98) putting in eyedrops chatting to a pretty insignificant support character (first appeared in #148) is being offered for $275 http://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=36248&ArtistId=84 . ...maybe that's still helps the pages that do sell (shrug) but there are almost 900 pages being offered now.

If I compare it to a non-superhero book to from when I was younger (and I could only think of one that I had stuck with for just as long... longer), if I am honest with myself there are only a handful of issues and moments out of that run way back when that I really remain interested in out of all of it. I have been watching TWD OA for a while and it's still delivering homework, it's going to be interesting to see what happens. I know that these ramblings aren't really that insightful or a revelation to a lot of people who have been in the hobby far too long... but those of us who haven't have to learn from somewhere :)

I think the better pages will do ok considering the amount of exposure this is getting... but I also expect it to be a lot better value than what we are currently seeing from source or on ebay O.o*looks*  *scrolls*. Certainly worth a pop if you have enjoyed or still enjoy the book, for me it just depends on what else in my wheelhouse appears from now until then.

Edited by Garf

2 hours ago, Hekla said:

500+ pages = ~ 23 issues  :whatthe:

A decent chunk of those are probably those production art pieces from the TV show that the article references, some of which I believe I saw up on the Comic Connect site.  But, yeah, still a ton of material that's going to hit the market over the next year or so's worth of CC auctions. 

29 minutes ago, Garf said:

IIRC James was originally drawn in by the TV show not the comic.

Wow, finally I've found the unicorn that I've read so much about. The person pulled into high-priced comic-related collectibles thanks to an introduction to the property via another medium.

52 minutes ago, Nexus said:

After.

He was the 800 lb. gorilla for just about all WD art for a 2-3 year stretch. The exception being covers. He had some real competition there from a collecting tandem, who appeared to only go after covers. But for interiors, it was pretty much all James.

Ouch.   Hard to imagine he doesn't take a serious bath but presumably he's pretty successful to have been able to buy it all in the first place.

Edited by Bronty

6 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Ouch.   Hard to imagine he doesn't take a serious bath but presumably he's pretty successful to have been able to buy it all in the first place.

I hope he doesn't, either. But unless every lot has a reserve, I have to imagine at least some of the art will be had for a "discount" (relative to what James originally paid).

An opportunity for those who just want the art, and aren't concerned the reigning king is vacating the throne.

Edited by Nexus

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

After.

In other words, he probably was the most responsible for driving WD OA prices.