• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Somewhere near 500 pages or so...

Are there other known collectors that have half that amount in any other series? I'm guessing there have to be a couple

There are probably quite a few. There are lot of title collectors with large swaths of art out there I think. 

Edited by Bird

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Wow, finally I've found the unicorn that I've read so much about. The person pulled into high-priced comic-related collectibles thanks to an introduction to the property via another medium.

He's no unicorn.  There are plenty of *existing* comic/OA collectors who are drawn to certain properties as a result of their exposure in a different medium.  I, too, got into WD OA as a result of the TV show - I bought my first two pieces immediately after seeing the series premiere in 2010.  I'm sure that I'm not alone.  

A unicorn is someone who is not already a comic/OA collector, but who becomes seriously involved in one or both of these hobbies in a serious way (I don't mean just picking up trades or the occasional floppy) as a result of exposure via another medium.  

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

He's no unicorn.  There are plenty of *existing* comic/OA collectors who are drawn to certain properties as a result of their exposure in a different medium.  I, too, got into WD OA as a result of the TV show - I bought my first two pieces immediately after seeing the series premiere in 2010.  I'm sure that I'm not alone.  

A unicorn is someone who is not already a comic/OA collector, but who becomes seriously involved in one or both of these hobbies in a serious way (I don't mean just picking up trades or the occasional floppy) as a result of exposure via another medium.  

Ah, OK. I read the statement in such a way that the show brought him to the hobby, not that the show brought him to the OA. Got it.

I have multiple offers from the last 5 or so years on every TWD page I own sitting in a gmail folder. I just went through it and not a single one from James. He may have been an 800lb gorilla, but he wasn't the only person buying.

No I definitely wasn't the only person buying.... I did do a lot of business with a lot of people and some people I never could make a deal with. Then there were people that had art that I never even spoke to.

On more than a few occasion I would be outbid or slow on the draw for a page. And why wouldn't I be ,it's a great comic ..it's done a lot for the industry. And the show in my opinion is still going strong.

The Walking Dead is still a strong franchise. It hasn't lost the fan in me.

As far as the collecting part I had a ball ,it was a lot of fun. I'm not even really sure how many interior pages I have but I do know a lot of the Walking Dead related art i have is not specific to the book and are done by other artists.

If I remember correctly I thought I had 650 graded books and they all were  The Walking Dead. But you got to remember I was a big foreign variant Collector of The Walking Dead too. Most people don't even care about The Walking Dead Serbian variants... I think I had three graded sets or more.

Good luck with the sale. I will definitely try for a page or three :wink:

I'm sure it was hard making the decision divesting yourself of everything you had put so much time and resources into over the last few years. Although it may be easier letting everything go at once rather than parceling it out over time, idk. I assume it's a tough decision for any collector once that time comes.

58 minutes ago, Hekla said:

Good luck with the sale. I will definitely try for a page or three :wink:

I'm sure it was hard making the decision divesting yourself of everything you had put so much time and resources into over the last few years. Although it may be easier letting everything go at once rather than parceling it out over time, idk. I assume it's a tough decision for any collector once that time comes.

I'd rather have it quick and painful instead of slow and painful.... It was very difficult, a lot of times I was going to back out. I even thought about pulling the plug today. The inner battle can be the most painful of all.

Edited by James J
Grammer

3 minutes ago, James J said:

I'd rather have it quick and painful instead of slow and painful.... It was very difficult, a lot of times I was going to back out. I even thought about pulling the plug today. The inner battle can the most painful of all.

I've lost that battle many times when contemplating parting with even a sliver of my 'focused' pages

1 hour ago, James J said:

Most people don't even care about The Walking Dead Serbian variants... I think I had three graded sets or more.

If they knew how tiny the print run was on those issues they probably would. lol  500 copies or less. I remember from my discussions with the Serbian publisher. Insanely small print runs for such a gigantically popular title. 

3 hours ago, James J said:

I'd rather have it quick and painful instead of slow and painful.... It was very difficult, a lot of times I was going to back out. I even thought about pulling the plug today. The inner battle can be the most painful of all.

This, you're a stronger man, than a lot of us here, if you can resist. Many of us have lost that battle plenty of times.

Edited by DeadpoolJr.