• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

As for the size of the artwork being an issue. it probably is to comic art collectors... But to the whole speculator comic book crowd whom I think is the majority of people causing the demand, Im sure the size of the art board isn't an issue.

I think you are dead right on this. After the speculator spike has ended, I can see WD art falling into three distinct pricing catagories:

Tony Moore art (highest)

Adlard large art (mid range)

Adlard small art (cheapest)

I also think the price difference between these three types will widen over time, with only the very KEY pages breaking out. And by KEY, I don't mean zombie or Governor appearances but MAJOR first apps, deaths and significant event pages. Probably only around a dozen or so pages would fit this criteria.

As for the size of the artwork being an issue. it probably is to comic art collectors... But to the whole speculator comic book crowd whom I think is the majority of people causing the demand, Im sure the size of the art board isn't an issue.

I think you are dead right on this. After the speculator spike has ended, I can see WD art falling into three distinct pricing catagories:

Tony Moore art (highest)

I also think the price difference between these three types will widen over time, with only the very KEY pages breaking out. And by KEY, I don't mean zombie or Governor appearances but MAJOR first apps, deaths and significant event pages. Probably only around a dozen or so pages would fit this criteria.

Moore zombie covers should do well. A lot of his covers don't even have Zombies and he still holds some of the earliest ones.

Tony Moore art (highest)

I agree. By all means, it would seem that pricing SHOULD fall into those three categories. However, I think that many earlier Adlard pages on smaller paper will blend with the large paper category.

For example, there are just over 60 large pieces of governor art. There are also just over 60 small pieces of governor art. While the larger ones will most likely be more valuable because of size, the smaller ones should be relatively high too because there are so few of the pages in total. I think Governor pages have been overlooked because as far as I could tell there's less than 130 total pieces from the series with him in. Now that number is SMALL. I guarantee there are more than 130 people that want a page with him on it, regardless of the content of the page.

Just speculation though, maybe the governor will be a nobody to many in a decade or two. But maybe, just maybe, he'll retain some sort of character value as he was the main antagonist for the series.

I also think that there is plenty of speculation on the series. But at the same time, it's been done mostly with average pages - most of the decent pages were purchased before the speculation really took off. So while there are many people speculating on sub-par pages - they will always be just that, below average.

Philip, do you have a link to the art that inspired this thread?

Jim

This one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-WALKING-DEAD-31-MICHONNE-vs-GOVERNOR-Classic-Art-Page-7-Kirkman-19-27-1-/110904680214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d26f1f16#ht_4064wt_1156

Or are you talking about the art that I collect specifically?

Tony Moore art (highest)

Well said. (thumbs u

Jim

This one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-WALKING-DEAD-31-MICHONNE-vs-GOVERNOR-Classic-Art-Page-7-Kirkman-19-27-1-/110904680214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d26f1f16#ht_4064wt_1156

That's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed seeing another piece on Ebay. :thumbsup:

Jim

Jim

This one?

That's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed seeing another piece on Ebay. :thumbsup:

Jim

WOW :o

i remember the price Mark hay was asking last year :sick:

Personally, I think the price bothers me more.

I sent in an offer of $700, and didn't even get a counter offer back.

$700 seems a fair price (these days)

That's not what I'm hearing. Especially seeing what the current small pages are selling for from Splashpage, $700 is not in the ballpark.

Yes, I think the starting price is kinda high and it probably will take an impulse buyer to pay that high of a price.

I think $700 is under market value (what it can realistically sell for) however based on the fact that today, it contains 2 of the TV show's most highly anticipated characters, Michonne and the Governer, and is one of the more powerful scenes and memorable sequence in the storyline. I wouldn't be surprised if a toned down PG version of this capture/torture was scripted into the TV series.

Oddly, when you look at some of the older Charlie Adlard Walking Dead comic pages on the Splash Page Art website, there's a lot of pages available priced under $200 (and even in the $100 range) which were priced back when they were released and unsold (albeit some very lackluster in characters and composition), but it seems that the new pages coming out today start out a lot higher out of the gate, even for the mediocre pages, and anything of any notable interest, let alone being epic, seems to start in that $500 starting point.

If I had to guess, if the seller started the page at $0.01 with no reserve in a 7 day auction, this page would probably sell for between $1,200 and $1,500 because people like both the hero and the vilian characters. I'm more into Rick, Carl, and Andrea, and did like Abraham (R.I.P.) too...

Personally, I think the price bothers me more.

I sent in an offer of $700, and didn't even get a counter offer back.

$700 seems a fair price (these days)

That's not what I'm hearing. Especially seeing what the current small pages are selling for from Splashpage, $700 is not in the ballpark.

It's definitely a memorable moment, and a very cool page! I just think that even with speculative prices, this page would sell for.. 800 on a low end and 1200 on a VERY high end. That governor page from issue 27 that sold a little while ago for a little over 2K, that was the second published page with him in it, it's a different story. This is just him and Michonne - no action, or anything else.

All I know is that if I owned this page, and someone offered me 1,500 for it, it would be packaged up and in the mail the next day.

I am a collector...not a speculator. I was lucky enough to buy two pages right before the big boom in the market. I was lucky enough to get the double page spread of Carl getting shot and a page from the action that followed with both Rick and Michone killing zombies. I honostly didnt know the size of the pages until I opened the package and had to do a double take. Had I known the size it still wouldnt have had any impact on my decision to buy the pages. I have had several really tempting offers for the pages...mainly for the Carl pages. But since I bought the pages for my collection not for resale I politely declined. I do feel that once the show ends those offeres will be much lower. I dont feel that the bottom will drop out but it will be more of a realignment of the prices people will be willing to pay.

It's definitely a memorable moment, and a very cool page! I just think that even with speculative prices, this page would sell for.. 800 on a low end and 1200 on a VERY high end.

I heard from the seller this evening - the sale is pending at more than double your "VERY high end" price. :gossip:

It's definitely a memorable moment, and a very cool page! I just think that even with speculative prices, this page would sell for.. 800 on a low end and 1200 on a VERY high end.

I heard from the seller this evening - the sale is pending at more than double your "VERY high end" price. :gossip:

Well in this case I need to completely reevaluate what I have my self. Thanks for the knowledge, I kinda like to know what pages sell for on the secondary market for piece of mind.