• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How did I get here?

188 posts in this topic

What a great run! :)

I have always kept the few treasuries I have out of bags and within a furniture where I keep bound comics books.

One of the reasons is that you‘d hardly found them NM in Italy… although the fact they are printed on cheap paper could benefit from some bagging… hm

Which are the ones with unpublished material? I have the Bicentennial Battles one, which i think is unpublished but know little about the others, especially the late ones.

Adding the "Try-Out book" would be nice, I don’t recall if it’s the very same size.

BTW, I have a copy I tried to sell that I could give you as a gift but I think it would be costly to ship overseas.

thanks Claudio,

I need to take pics of the rest of the Marvel Treasury books one of these days and post here.

well Heritage auction just finished yesterday and goose egg once again...I didn't even place a bid on one item this time. There were a few things I thought about bidding on but in the end, they weren't a "must" have and the prices went over my max value so i didn't bother. Normally I leave the auction running live on my computer just to hear the actions but I didn't even bother this time.

I did bid on a few items on the past Heritage Sunday auction but didn't man up enough to win anything there either.

what did I bid on? there was a nice run of Savannah Pedigree Phantom Stranger. Savannah Pedigree books tend to have not so great PQ. I didn't bid with any "Pedigree" premiums and I was blown out of all the lots there. I am a PQ snob but I would rather pick nice centered well presented books with not so great PQ as long the covers look good.

I love white PQ but the crooked miswrap on the cover will likely bothers me much more than the cream interior. Ideally, we all want perfect centered white page books but that isn't always possible so it is a constant trade off debate whenever I see books I like.

I do have a near complete run of Phantom Stranger from 1 to 20 but they are mostly readers. Only these 3 are "nice" and this is not a main focus title for me so I didn't really feel bad not winning.

CCF24022013_00001.jpg

CCF24022013_00000.jpg

CCF19102012_00000.jpg

Yes, Phantom Stranger is Silver Age, at least this version is. It is actually a decent series. I think it is better than many horror titles that I have read so far.

Speaking of reading, what have I been reading lately? Lucky Luke....say who?

I mentioned before that I grew up with Asterix and Obelix and TinTin but Smurfs and Lucky Luke were also part of my dad's collection. I have been buying many of these books in preparation for his 80th's birthday coming up. I figured he will get a kick out of a box of these books as a gift. At least I hope he will.

Lucky Luke is also drawn by the same fantastic artist of Asterix and Obelix, Gosciny. I love him as a child and even today as I flipped thru the Lucky Luke books, I really enjoy them. I bought the French version for him and these English version books for me and my son to enjoy.

tr62.jpg

I can't say enough how lucky I feel having been introduced to this medium of entertainment as a child because I can't really think of anything else that bring this much fun and enjoyment as far as a hobby in the past 40 years (I am 46 this year and I started reading Luky Luke and Smurfs when I was 6). I collected stamps for quite sometimes but that was no where near as much fun as comic books, not by a long shot. I have given many coins as gifts but I have yet to get the itch to buy anything yet.

I guess I was also very lucky to find girlfriends that never really minded my love for comic books. My wife certainly don't mind them at all and we might go to Megacon in Orlando in 2 weeks or so. Our son's spring break is that same week so she already booked hotels and events for that week in Orlando and she told me if I want to just run off for a few hours at MegaCon, I can or we can all go. Heck one of my ex years ago bought me these since we enjoyed watching the X-files...talk about dreks :tonofbricks:

tr60.jpg

lastly, the little monkey had a little singing event at school Friday and here is a short clip.

Greggy, if you are reading this...I just finished cooking a big pot of PHO....just waiting for the guesses to arrive for some good eating :grin:

The fact that a series or a character are part of your formative years is indeed important. I have barely read Lucky Luke or Asterix, and so I have little to know familiarity with the stories.

If the stories are not good, anyway, comics or books you read as a child are not bound to be remembered or cherished.

Why don’t you pick some single classic stories of BD characters your father maybe was not familiar with? They’d be a cool surprise if you handpick them with some criteria.

P.S. Never saw the X-Files, or any other american telefilm from the past twenty years for what matters… lol

what is "'BD"?

I shot a video you might like

As far as the X-files, I watched more because my girlfriend at the time loved it but I can't say I care to ever watch the rerun today. Once per episode was all I cared to waste my time with that show. I don't even know why I still have the books to be honest...just too lazy to sell them since I really can't imagine anyone would care to buy them :tonofbricks: