• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new kinda grading game!!

20 posts in this topic

Book looks like a 9.0-9.2 max.

Nice chip on the right edge, HUGE printing crease mid cover. Many 7's exhibit this crease but not quite as bad.

The spine appears to have a couple good size stresses at the staples.

Color and gloss are superb however.

Any one else?

M

Yep, I'm bid-watching this copy. I'd consider pulling the trigger if the copy didn't look over-graded. I agree that the color is amazing, and so is the page quality, but I can't get past that chip.

That's a great label though wink.gif , and a decent deal if that's all you care about.

I agree, 9.0 to 9.2 max. This looks almost exactly like my copy of Spidey 7, only mine doesn't have the chip and mine has a longer printing crease, which oddly is in the exact same place as the one on this copy. Here's a link to mine:

If that one is a 9.4, then so is mine!!! shocked.gif I can't find anything on the exterior of mine inconsistent with the 9.4 grade other than the paper ripple. With the ripple, though, I guess 9.0 is about right.

Yeah, that's a nice book. I'd actually rather buy one like yours and save myself a few grand. Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it? My guess is $800-$1000. Am I close?

Well the seller is a FIRST class act to say the least.

I am very impressed with his honesty and accurate description of the book when asked.

It all comes down to buying the label here I guess, Funny thing is I have seen quite a few NM silver age ASM'S that have a "chip" on the right edge with nowhere near this books color.

Strange to me that CGC would overlook this. I can guarantee that if the same chip size were on the top edge the book would downgrade.

HUH???

If you want a much closer look at this book, it was a recent Heritage sale.

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auctions/closedviewlot.asp?s=805&l=5751&SID=F8DD10068358458F9B158F103DFFC168

Nope, I bought it for $1600 from the October Heritage auction. I overpaid due to the PERFECT centering, high gloss, high color retention, and nice page quality. Usually Spidey 7 has the front wrapping to the back, but this one was the first perfectly centered copy I had seen in a few years.

I felt a little bad about the overpaying until I got the book. Heritage's scans often make the colors look more faded than they actually are, but the colors on this copy are so bright that it looks like I just picked it off the newsstand today! I doubt I'll ever sell or trade that one.

The Spidey 7 on ComicParadox's web site is awfully nice too, with only marginally worse page quality and cover centering. I definitely would've bought that one if I didn't already have the one I got via Heritage. And his is cheaper than mine was! ooo.gifmad.gifshocked.giffrown.giftongue.gifsmile.gif

If the printing crease weren't there and the chip was the only defect, what do you think the book should grade? I'd say that chip would be consistent with the 9.4 grade; it looks to only be 1/32" tall by 1/16" wide. I'm thinking that a single defect of that small a size fits in the NM definition.

I'll look at the new Grading Guide when I get home to see what its idea is about defects that small.

I believe in paying over market prices if the book is pushing the limits of it's holdered grade, like yours appears to be. This way, if something ever happens to CGC( grin.gif ), like competition( cough cough wink.gif ) you still have a superior copy.

I've seen worse chipping on a 9.4, so I'd have to say that without the printing crease, a 9.4 would be passable, although I would prefer a 9.2 label. I have an example scan somewhere of a 9.4 with much worse chipping. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

BTW FF, do you have your collection up on a website? If so, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Yeah, I'm really dissapointed by that copy too.

I've already moved on. laugh.gif

James,

That might be a "small" defect , but it is an eye sore for me anyway. Especially on a book with this color scheme.

Books like the ASM 10 9.4 sold by the Mint with a similar "chip" albeit much larger were not as apparent.

If the chip were the only defect I would call it a 9.4, but there are other things going on with this book. Indented bottom staple, transverse stress lines, spine "rubbing", rounded , fuzzed , and blunted corners.

The more books I resubmit the more I begin to question CGC'S consistency.

The more books I see like this makes me wonder as well.

M

a 9.4 with a chip? No way..I also detect a slight dust shadow going around the edges of the book..Maybe a 9.0? At least a 8.5..(assuming the back cover is perfect)

and people sometimes ask why I ask for a bigger CGC scan