• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan the Barbarian #1 Club
4 4

305 posts in this topic

My first girl :cloud9: (It was my reading copy, but I thought I'd better get it in a holder - now I need a new reading copy doh! )

xxc.JPG.86cf1b50c5c889537849ede25dc0af68.JPG

But then I saw her :luhv:

070420132442.JPG.7278945077b59858e639c0e4a3c19379.JPG

And suddenly Bill Hughes dumped his girl and she went straight into my arms :blush:

58f1014a0b20f_0052481001FWPBILLHUGHES.jpg.0126ab3502d4b552b338b5d2ba9f6725.jpg

Now we're all living together, because I don't have the heart to dump a nice girl :sorry:

My collection beyond #1: http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=2512

PS. I got a few more fun ones for the rainy days :insane:

Spoiler

1912150647321.jpg

I just might have two more copies in CGC 9.6 with pure white pages, and a VF/NM for reading.

My ST 9.8 collection: http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=2548

1912150630031.jpg

Also got a copy in 9.6 - and a nice NM copy for reading (theoretically speaking, my wife says I never read my reading copies - well... she's right :facepalm:

My SSoC 9.8 collection: http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=2547

Edited by Rune

On 14/4/2017 at 10:47 PM, nepatkm said:

Great copies Rune. A first reader copy getting a 9.0, you really took special care of her. <3(thumbsu

Thanks :smile: I was expecting grade 8.0 +/- 0.5, so it was a nice surprise.

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

That statue is AWESOME! 

You say you completed, just paint or are you talking any assembly?

Thank you! It was a kit that I had to both assemble and paint. I learned a ton. Previously I had only put together model planes and helicopters.

Here is a link to my journal while I was building it Conan Statue Journal

Added this cool book to my small Silver / Bronze Age 1st issues and appearances collection. I actually bought this from a LCS (probably the only one) in Cyprus (long, long away from the US :wink:). A really neat shop however, so I was really happy to spend some money there. Sorry for the bad quality of the photo, I will make a nice scan when I am back home.

IMG_3578.jpg

Very nice.  Been looking for a nice raw copy to go along with my 9.6 as a companion piece, but you just don't see them in the wild any more.  I'm thinking most nice copies have already been slabbed by now.  Got a reader copy with tape repair filling that role now. 

8 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Very nice.  Been looking for a nice raw copy to go along with my 9.6 as a companion piece, but you just don't see them in the wild any more.  I'm thinking most nice copies have already been slabbed by now.  Got a reader copy with tape repair filling that role now. 

You can always get a slabbed one and break it out. hm I would personally be happy with a 9.6 and move on to the next book however. Cheers! :banana:

33 minutes ago, SECollector said:

You can always get a slabbed one and break it out. hm I would personally be happy with a 9.6 and move on to the next book however. Cheers! :banana:

Nah. The Smith run is too good. You gotta have a nice copy to fondle.  Reading the Darkhorse HCs just aren't the same. The funky coloring ruined it for me.  

8 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Nah. The Smith run is too good. You gotta have a nice copy to fondle.  Reading the Darkhorse HCs just aren't the same. The funky coloring ruined it for me.  

Gotcha! You have a great collection, I checked out your sets. (thumbsu

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:58 PM, Rune said:

My first girl :cloud9: (It was my reading copy, but I thought I'd better get it in a holder - now I need a new reading copy doh! )

xxc.JPG.86cf1b50c5c889537849ede25dc0af68.JPG

But then I saw her :luhv:

070420132442.JPG.7278945077b59858e639c0e4a3c19379.JPG

And suddenly Bill Hughes dumped his girl and she went straight into my arms :blush:

58f1014a0b20f_0052481001FWPBILLHUGHES.jpg.0126ab3502d4b552b338b5d2ba9f6725.jpg

Now we're all living together, because I don't have the heart to dump a nice girl :sorry:

My collection beyond #1: http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=2512

PS. I got a few more fun ones for the rainy days :insane:

Reveal hidden contents

1912150647321.jpg

I just might have two more copies in CGC 9.6 with pure white pages, and a VF/NM for reading.

My ST 9.8 collection: http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=2548

1912150630031.jpg

Also got a copy in 9.6 - and a nice NM copy for reading (theoretically speaking, my wife says I never read my reading copies - well... she's right :facepalm:

My SSoC 9.8 collection: http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=2547

Upgrading my 9.2 is high on my list of priorities. It is such a great book. Congrats on owning such a great copy.

On 29/7/2017 at 6:01 PM, Jordysnordy said:

Upgrading my 9.2 is high on my list of priorities. It is such a great book. Congrats on owning such a great copy.

Thank you - #1 is a great book.

Thinking of it, actually to me Conan the Barbarian #4 is the true Conan the Barbarian #1, like Roy Thomas has explained:

"From the beginning I had wanted to adapt Robert E. Howard‘s stories as well as make up so my own, but our contract with the REH estate gave us rights only to use Conan, not any particular stories. Now I got permission from Glenn Lord in a letter to adapt the story in which the Cimmerian is chronologically youngest—"Tower of the Elephant," which had quickly become my favorite Conan tale of all-as an issue of Conan. Either Marvel or I-I suspect Marvel-paid a little extra for the right to adapt the story, but at this point I‘ve totally forgotten how I swung that or how much it cost. Working with Howard's actual prose, not just my couple of pages of accompanying notes, apparently turned Barry on, and he did a wonderful job. From the time Barry drew "Tower of the Elephant," there was no looking back for either of us." 
Excerpt from "The Barry Windsor-Smith Conan Archives Volume 1" 2010 (the foreword by Roy Thomas). 

In an interview May 1998 Barry Windsor-Smith mentioned that Conan the Barbarian #4 was quite special to him:
"Roy had sent me all of the Lancer paperbacks some months prior to our beginning the first issue, so my prior affinity was merely months old but, as it happens, that made my perceptions energetic and fresh because I was utterly hooked by Howard's writing style. "The Tower of the Elephant," in particular, was a real head trip, to use the vernacular of the time".
Excerpt from "Comic Book Artist" #2

Had Marvel not acquired the rights to adapt Robert E. Howards original Conan stories, Marvel's Conan the Barbarian books would probably never had reached similar popularity. Published during the year 1971 these Robert E. Howard adapted stories won the "Academy of Comic Book Arts Awards Best Continuing Feature". Roy Thomas also explained in the extra material on the 2011 Conan Blu-Ray movie, when Marvel's Conan books were selling at their best, Marvel's Conan earnings were twice as high as Marvel's earnings on The Amazing Spider-man and The Fantastic Four combined.

Thus Conan the Barbarian #4 is the key book in my opinion - sorry if I got carried away! 

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, Brian48 said:

I think one of the later issues is a perfect reprint because Smith got behind in his work and they had to print SOMETHING at the deadline.  Maybe on of those would work on the cheap.

Yeah.  That would be Conan 22.  Got a copy of that already.  Aiming to have a nice reader accompany all my slabbed copies.  It's just that I'm particularly picky about issue #1.

A bit of an accidental buy.  Was looking for a nice raw copy, but wounded up winning this one over at CL which I didn't expect.  Not sure if I want to crack it out or leave it in the slab to use as a wall copy.  Conan #1 is one of my all time favorite books of BA. 

RADD71F52017929_135442.jpg

4 hours ago, Arkadin said:

Finally got a Conan #1. Picked it up in the Sunday Heritage auction - 9.0 White pages, nice centering - and under guide. Works for me!

Really well presenting copy.  Congrats.  Loaded an alternate copy of the image just in case the forum owners have issues with the image.

competitor.jpg