• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone going to Wizard Chicago staying the Ramada O'Hare

9 posts in this topic

I haven't been to a Chicago Comic Convention in a long time. They used to be held in the Ramada O'Hare when I first attended in the mid-80s. Anyway, I've decided to go this year and bring the whole family for the trip. They are going to be out doing other stuff in Chicago for the most part and will have the van with them. I have reservations that the Ramada O'Hare because I remember it being a nice place and they were reasonably priced, but I have just found out that they DON'T have shuttle service to the convention center. Is is possible to actually drive and park near the convention center? Is walking a possibilty? Sharing a ride? Or should I just eat the cancelation expense and book one of the REALLY expensive hotels right next to the convention center?

Staying within the airport is not a good idea Once you pay to park within there is no re entry which makes it a pain in the butt to do dinner etc There are several hotels nearby the convention center but all are very pricey Try booking in one of the nearby areas other than the airport There is plenty of parking directly across the street from the convention center in the many parking garages I usually book online using Hotwire.com and stay within 10 miles of the convention center for under $60 a night This time its the Hilton

I got pretty lucky and booked at the Radisson O'Hare before it sold out. A mile and a half away from the con with free shuttle to/from the con. It is a con-sponsored hotel and was very cheap. There are a few more con-sponsored hotels available at www.wizarduniverse.com but they are in the $125-150 range per night. I've never been to Chicago so it should be interesting. I'll be checkin' in thursday night and staying through Sunday.-----Sid

The Ramada is 2.5 miles for the convention center and 1 mile from O'Hare. I've stayed at there before, it isn't actually in O'Hare, just close. They have free parking and I know my way around that area. But that was 10 years or so ago. I've been to the Wizard Chicago convention with my wife, before kids, and we stayed at the Hyatt (which is REALLY NICE and REALLY EXPENSIVE) so I figured it would be cheaper to stay at the Ramada, BUT I thought I could get a shuttle bus to the convention center, but I now find out that I can't 893frustrated.gif

I wonder how far the Ramada is from the Radison, as they DO have a shuttle. Maybe I could just get over there somehow. Grrrrr, I finally get the wife to go along with this whole thing as a "family" vacation and now I mess up the hotel situation.... 893censored-thumb.gif

Heck Bob, you think THAT's something. I almost booked the wrong airport. How was I supposed to know there was more than one Chicago airport. Geez, wouldn't that have messed things all up. Lucky I figured it out before I hit "submit". -----Sid

Hi Bob,

The convention has an extremely convenient drop-off and pick-up area. The only problem you'll face is if you take Higgins Rd to River Rd you'll be driving the wrong direction (southbound) to get to the drop-off point. Therefore, you have two options: drive south down Mannheim to Lawrence and scoot over east to River Rd so you can be heading northbound and be dropped off right in front of the convention; or go the above route (Higgins to River Rd) and simply hang a right into the Radisson and be dropped off there (right across the street from the convention center).

If you can save a good chunk of change by staying at the Ramada, definitely do it! Getting to and from the convention will be no problem for ya from there!

Alan

Unfortunately I can't make it this year, but they are holding it at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, which is where they held it last year. Last year I would take the EL (the Chicago Transit) right there. It is virtually within a block of the Covention Center. Saves on cab fares. Had to take a cab on the way out, back to my place. My rolling suitcase was packed with stuff.

Khumbu