• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2013, July 18-21, San Diego, Ca.

577 posts in this topic

Friday and Saturday single day badges were sold out when I finally got in. I figured it wasn't worth it to just buy a Thursday badge (and I generally leave on Sunday)...I guess I'll try my luck again in the general sale. :(

Got the wife all 4 days, i suffered user error and got Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Still have to email them about another issue that they wanted me to check in with them as soon as I got my badges regarding junior badges, so might as well throw in a request for a Friday badge as well. It wont hurt to ask.

I started out 7700th in line at 1 minute after. Got a 4 day for me and a friend about 26 min after the hour. I only wanted a 4 day for next year so I'm set there.

I just received an order acknowledement e-mail from SDCC stating that my credit card will be charged within 72 hours, then I'll receive the barcode info for the ticket I bought. If we are buying for anyone else, we will recevie credit card info about all our purchases but barcode info only goes out to the actual ticketholder, not the person who bought the ticket (if purchasing for anyone else).

It is interesting reading the Facebook feeds on the official SDCC page today. Such polarizing views. Everything from some people gloating to many person_without_enough_empathying and cussing. I always find the bias that people have to be very interesting. Just because some people did not get a ticket does not mean that "they suck" and etc. And just because some of us did get tickets it does not mean it is the best system.

And a heck of alot of people just asking questions. Even some of us who have received the official announcement e-mails are apparently not reading them as even some people who were able to buy tickets don't know some of the basics about what is going on.

I find the psychology behind everything SDCC to be fascinating!

Just curious to know what people here think about a priority registration for those with 4 day badges, instead of a free-for-all for all attendees at one time? Would it be fair for those with 4 day badges to automatically renew?

My only complaint with the system is that it took me 5 minutes just to get to the page to hit the green button and enter the room. This put me 18K in line; I was still able to purchase just the Thursday tickets that I was trying for me and the wife.

I would have been upset if I was trying for the 4-day passes; and not getting one due to having to wait so long just to get to the green button page.

Psy

Just curious to know what people here think about a priority registration for those with 4 day badges, instead of a free-for-all for all attendees at one time? Would it be fair for those with 4 day badges to automatically renew?

It wasn't just 4-day ticket holders, it was anyone who had ANY ticket from 2012, even just a one-day pass would have been good enough to get in on the action today.

So the question you ask is (if I read it right, but maybe I didn't), should SDCC consider past loyalty when going forward or should they start new with everyone even every year? I have always been one to feel as if loyalty matters in business. So I am all for allowing past attendees first dibs on the new year. I'd say that whether I was new this year or an old veteran. Loyalty should always be considered, IMO. As a matter of fact, I don't think they have the ability, but if they did, those who have attended the most years in the past should be first in line. That system may not be "fair" to the newbies, but if you believe at all in loyalty then I think it should count. However, it is what it is.

As far as the system glitches, yeah, that just sucks. Any website dealing with this kind of inflow all at once is bound to have problems. Maybe they could work on letting people in slower, every 15 minutes, for example they let people in by groups based on the alphabet? Who knows? Technical problems just suck, no ifs, and or buts about that.

The system I imagine is a multiple tier registration that would give priority to those with 4-day (with and without preview night) passes to get dibs at registering first. The next tier would be for those with one-day passes. After that would be the open registration for everyone. In a sense, this is about loyalty. Of course, each tier would be spaced out by weeks.

Or another option would be during badge pick-up. The SDCC helper handling the badge printing could just ask "Hey, you have a 4-day pass, would you like pre-register a 4-day pass for next year? Same payment method you used for this year? Okay, all set."

The system I imagine is a multiple tier registration that would give priority to those with 4-day (with and without preview night) passes to get dibs at registering first. The next tier would be for those with one-day passes. After that would be the open registration for everyone. In a sense, this is about loyalty. Of course, each tier would be spaced out by weeks.

Or another option would be during badge pick-up. The SDCC helper handling the badge printing could just ask "Hey, you have a 4-day pass, would you like pre-register a 4-day pass for next year? Same payment method you used for this year? Okay, all set."

That sounds good to me! There was a survey a while back where the con was asking for opinions, or at least had a little survey where everyone could express their opinions.

Took 3 computers to try the pre-reg to try and score tix.

1st computer got in the queue around 18xx, 2nd was 8xxx and 3rd was around 13xxx. Was able to score the 4-day pass with the 1st computer and was done in around 15 mins. The other two screens were still in "waiting room" mode when I finally logged out.

Of course later that day I got an email from SDCC saying my credit card was declined! Seems though my CC company flagged the charge as fraudulent and cancelled the transaction even before contacting me. Grrr.

Thankfully I was able to re-buy the ticket with another cc without any issue, geesh.

Just saw this might be helpful for those of us that have kids that will be 13 next year that missed out on Pre-registrations just act soon cause this offer expires 08/30/2012:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding your now-junior child who was able to attend Comic-Con 2012 but was not eligible for 2013 preregistration.

If you were able to successfully purchase a Comic-Con 2013 badge during preregistration, we will extend the one-time courtesy of a priority registration code that will allow you to register your now junior child for one 4-day or one single day Comic-Con 2013 badge. Priority registration codes will not be issued until June 2013. Priority registration codes are not complimentary badges, but a code that will allow you to login to the EPIC website and purchase a badge for your junior without having to go through the waiting room or open online registration.

If you would like to receive a priority registration code in June 2013 for your junior, please be sure to have them sign up for a Member ID at https://secure2.comic-con.org/memberid/

If your now-junior child already has a Member ID, it is very important that they login to their account and select the “Change My Preferences/Unsubscribe” button and confirm that they have selected “junior” as their membership type.

Once you have completed the steps above, please reply to this email and type, “Priority Code Junior Member Information,” in the subject line. In the body of the email we will need the name of your child, their Member ID, and the Member ID you used to purchase your badge during preregistration.

If you do not want to wait until June for your priority registration code, we encourage you to participate in open online registration in early 2013 to purchase your junior’s badge. By purchasing their badge during open online registration, your junior will qualify for 2014 preregistration. If you choose to use the priority registration option, they will not qualify for 2014 preregistration.

You must reply to this email by August 30th 2012 to be eligible for a priority registration code.

Thank you for your patience and continued support of Comic-Con International."