• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital copies?

16 posts in this topic

With the advent of books coming out with digital copy codes, does the missing sticker effect the grade of the book? Is there a way of collecting the code without disturbing the peel away?

I know the codes generally only last 1 year from the book's release. So slabbing a book or buying a book down the road (after the code has expired) shouldn't effect value. BUT I know that notes of coupons included (like with Spawn 1) , giveaways, cards and such could have some effect some books. So the little sticker that they place on the last page has any effect to the overall book??

This has been discussed before and I believe that the general consensus was that a missing sticker is something that was attached to the book that is no longer there. It would be treated like 3D glasses that are bound to a book or the old Lakeside Tattooz found in the Amazing Spiderman 238 Hobgoblin debut.

So if the book is to get slabbed, how would it effect the grade? Or would it be something that just appears in the notes?

Polybags are something that is "attached" to the book, but it doesn't seem to really impact the value of the book if it is on or not. In some cases the polybag is a part of the art like the death of superman or ultimate spider-man. But with the bag you can't really tell the condition of the book and with slabbing they remove that bag.

Schrodinger's cat anyone? As long as the bag is on Superman 75, what could really be inside is Amazing Fantasy 15.

So if the book is to get slabbed, how would it effect the grade? Or would it be something that just appears in the notes?

Polybags are something that is "attached" to the book, but it doesn't seem to really impact the value of the book if it is on or not. In some cases the polybag is a part of the art like the death of superman or ultimate spider-man. But with the bag you can't really tell the condition of the book and with slabbing they remove that bag.

Schrodinger's cat anyone? As long as the bag is on Superman 75, what could really be inside is Amazing Fantasy 15.

Well that is why they take the bag off of Superman 75 before they grade it.

However things that are actually attached to the internal comic book seem to be treated with more reverence.

Kind of makes me wish Marvel would go back to polybagging the comic with a separate paper with the code.

Back to things attached. I've noticed one of my copies of Wolverine: Origins notes a coupon or such included within the notes of the book - my quandary is if the grade of the book would be effected if the coupon was removed (same with another book that had fleer cards stapled to it). or would just be left to the notes section. Much like white, off-white, cream, etc pages doesn't seem to effect the grade but they have their own notes.

With the advent of books coming out with digital copy codes, does the missing sticker effect the grade of the book? Is there a way of collecting the code without disturbing the peel away?

I know the codes generally only last 1 year from the book's release. So slabbing a book or buying a book down the road (after the code has expired) shouldn't effect value. BUT I know that notes of coupons included (like with Spawn 1) , giveaways, cards and such could have some effect some books. So the little sticker that they place on the last page has any effect to the overall book??

I believe Gemma said that removal would be noted on the label. Not sure if it will count as qualified but it should. It won't change the grade unless it's removed without care.

So yes removing them will hurt the books value. I wouldn't buy a book with a removed sticker.

This is a great question. Considering taking one for the team and submitting a modern book along with a CGC shipment without the digital coupon, to see what happens. Will keep you updated, but it might take a while given current turn around times for Moderns.

This is a great question. Considering taking one for the team and submitting a modern book along with a CGC shipment without the digital coupon, to see what happens. Will keep you updated, but it might take a while given current turn around times for Moderns.

Awesome! I'd like to know, so keep me updated.

I picked up a Dark Knight 11 polybagged combo pack with "Digital Copy Included" to test out the submission theory, but the digital code was just printed on the last page, no peel off sticker. I've been reading the New 52 purely through trades or on Comixology up till now, so I'm not sure if this is a new thing or if they've always had the code just printed on the last page.

I saw the digital peel off sticker in question on the Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, but I ended up just getting the TPB to get caught up since it was cheaper.

So is it just Marvel that does the peel off stickers?