• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Top 100 Books of the Silver Age !!! This is gonna be fun!

152 posts in this topic

If Adventure 210 is fair game, then add Jimmy Olsen #1, and Detective #225. (Lois Lane #1, too!)

Don't forget the annuals! Strange Tales annual #2 is the 4th app. of Spider-Man, and certainly cooler than Supes #200. ASM annual #1, Fantastic Four annual #1, Superman annual #1...

Challengers #1 a higher ranking book than Showcase #6? I'll give you the BOTD and assume oversight on that one.

I may be wrong here but I don't think Olsen 1 and Detective 225 are silver age books. :gossip:

If Adventure 210 is fair game, then add Jimmy Olsen #1, and Detective #225. (Lois Lane #1, too!)

Don't forget the annuals! Strange Tales annual #2 is the 4th app. of Spider-Man, and certainly cooler than Supes #200. ASM annual #1, Fantastic Four annual #1, Superman annual #1...

Challengers #1 a higher ranking book than Showcase #6? I'll give you the BOTD and assume oversight on that one.

I may be wrong here but I don't think Olsen 1 and Detective 225 are silver age books. :gossip:

(thumbs u

These books belong in the top 100:

G. I. Combat 68 early Sgt Rock

Batman 105 1st Batwoman

My Greatest Adventure 80 1st appearance of Doom Patrol

Adventure 267 2nd legion appearance

Our Fighting Forces 45 - First App Gunner and Sarge

Strange Tales 89 1st appearance of Fin Fang Foom

Strange Worlds 1 - Kirby/Ditko flying saucer

Amazing Adventures 1

These books don't belong in the top 100

Submariner 1

Superman 200

Tales of Suspense 65

Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD 1

X-Men 94

Adventure 210

Iron Man 1

Daredevil 7

That's his point, neither is Adventure 210. All pre-Showcase 4.

This list needs:

Fantastic Four # 13......first Watcher

Avengers # 8......first Kang

Fantastic Four # 52.....first Black Panther

Fantastic Four # 67......first Adam Warlock

Tales of Suspense # 50.....first Mandarin

Fantastic Four # 45 .....first Inhumans

.....unless my poor eyesight missed them. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This is all great input so far! Let's keep it coming!

Ultimately, we'll need to figure out how to select which books go on the list and how to prioritize...... Should we use 12 month GPA as the benchmark for how to rank?

Once we get past the top 40-60, we'll have plenty of disagreements about whats included so we need an objective measure

Add:

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 (1st app of the Sinister Six)

X-men #4 (1st app of Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch, 1st app of Brotherhood of Evil Mutants)

Showcase (1956-1978) #15 (1st App of Space Ranger)

Adventure Comics #229 (1st App of Aquaman)

Remove:

X-men #94 (not silver)

Nick Fury #1 (not silver)

Submariner #1 (not silver)

Iron Man (not silver)

Superman #200 (not key outside of the number)

Batman #200 (not key outside of the number)

Strange Tales 115 (4th Dr Stange? Eh)

Avengers 2 (outside of it being the 2nd ap of the Avengers, there's nothing special)

on the fence

Journey Into Mystery 84 (2nd Thor, but nothing else key, no iconic villian, no origin story, just Jane Foster)

Showcase 9 (first app of the title "Superman's girlfriend Lois Lane, but thats it)

Also not sure when you are ending the Silver Age. I use the launch of Iron Man & Submariner #1s as the start of the Bronze age in my head.

And by the way, has anyone seen a silver age top 100 list published? I've seen plenty of "top 20-25", but that's it

Last time I saw one (other than my own) was in the Overstreet about 12 years ago.

And by the way, has anyone seen a silver age top 100 list published? I've seen plenty of "top 20-25", but that's it

Last time I saw one (other than my own) was in the Overstreet about 12 years ago.

May I see your list?

Is anyone interested in helping me with the analytics? Building a spreadsheet and grabbing the gpa price for each (I would say pick a modest high grade price like 7.0-8.0 as the benchmark.....or could take average of 9.0 and 5.0 if you wanted to get fancy!)

Ah, what the Hell.

KirbyJack's Top 100 Silver Age Comics!

1. Fantastic Four 1

AF 15

ASM 1

Hulk 1

Showcase 4

JIM 83

X-M 1

TOS 39

BB 28

10. Flash 105

Show 8

Avengers 1

Show 22

Adv 247

FF 2

JLA 1

TTA 27

Show 9

FF 4

20. OAAW 83

FF 5

ASM 2

Avengers 4

Strange Tales 110

DD 1

FF 3

ASM 3

Green Lantern 1

Show 6

30. Show 14

Show 13

ASM 4

ASM 14

BB 30

JIM 84

TTA 35

BB 29

FF 12

Hulk 2

40. Show 17

BB 34

Lois Lane 1

ASM 6

FF 6

Flash 123

X-M 2

Challs 1

Show 34

G.I. Com 87

50. ASM 9

Hulk 3

Show 23

Show 24

ASM 5

Hulk 6

TOS 1

TTA 1

Show 10

Flash 110

60. Sgt. Fury 1

ASM 7

ASM 8

Action 242

Show 15

Strange Tales 101

JLA 2

Amaz Adv. 1

W. Woman 105

Show 7

70. TOS 40

Flash 106

Avengers 2

Adv. 267

Strange Worlds 1

MGA 80

FF 48

X-M 4

Action 252

Adv. 256

80. FF 7

FF 8

FF 9

Hulk 4

Hulk 5

Show 20

Adv. 260

Superman annual 1

M.I. Space 53

FF annual 1

90. ASM 13

ASM 10

ASM annual 1

FF 11

Rawhide Kid 17

FF 13

FF 25

ST. Tales annual 2

TTA 44

TOS 57

TOS 2

...Do your worst! :boo:

Hey guys, if you don’t mind a little contribution from a war-boardie (and a new one at that), I would like to submit the following:

Thrilled to see that Our Army at War is garnering deserved attention, but OAAW #83 unquestionably out-guns OAAW #81. Moreover, OAAW #83 IMHO merits a top 20 ranking. With 7.5’s bringing in $10K and 8.0’s at $17K, this book should be in the teens. Nonetheless, happy to see it amongst the greater silver age superhero books!

Another book to consider in the top 50 is OAAW #112. Classic cover and quintessential silver age Kubert Sgt. Rock. Last big sale was a month ago where the 9.2 copy sold for $11K.

Is anyone interested in helping me with the analytics? Building a spreadsheet and grabbing the gpa price for each (I would say pick a modest high grade price like 7.0-8.0 as the benchmark.....or could take average of 9.0 and 5.0 if you wanted to get fancy!)

would it just make more sense to normalize on overstreet's NM price for each?

I was thinking trying to use GPA would be tough since some books may not have sales of late or of enough volume to set a decent average, outlier prices could skew things as well... meanwhile overstreet (while not being as tied to the market) may be an easier place to start in order to see how price could affect rank.

also is price the sole determinant for being a top book of the age? I'd imagine doing so would push the ratio to Marvel even more so and add a decent number of non-key but pricey Spider-man books.

Price would be interesting, but so would significance......many top 100's based on price really aren't very significant. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u