• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Top 100 Books of the Silver Age !!! This is gonna be fun!

152 posts in this topic

I think he wants to use price once we settle on a top 100.

ah that makes more sense, let the people determine whether it should be on the list, and then give a pass of the list with values to see how it ranks out the books.

Price would be interesting, but so would significance......many top 100's based on price really aren't very significant. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Couldn't agree more with this perspective, but we still need some sort of objective way to rank!!

I think he wants to use price once we settle on a top 100.

ah that makes more sense, let the people determine whether it should be on the list, and then give a pass of the list with values to see how it ranks out the books.

Yes totally! But we may need the ability to break ties for books and particulary those ranked from 75-100!!

Like I said, this would be fun!! I'm all ears for more suggestions and I still would like to recruit someone to partner with me on this important initiative :insane:

Price would be interesting, but so would significance......many top 100's based on price really aren't very significant. GOD BLESS....

Couldn't agree more with this perspective, but we still need some sort of objective way to rank!!

Your sig line books looks top 10 to me Joey!

1) Amazing Fantasy 15

2) Fantastic Four 1

3) Incredible Hulk 1

4) Showcase 4

5) Amazing Spider-man 1

6) Tales of Suspense 39

7) Journey into Mystery 83

8) X-Men 1

9) Showcase 22

10) Brave and Bold 28

11) Avengers 1

12) Tales to Astonish 27

13) Flash 105

14) Justice League of America 1

15) Fantastic Four 5

16) Action 247

17) Fantastic Four 2

18) Green Lantern 1

19) Daredevil 1

20) Amazing Spider-man 2

Here's my top 20. I know Joey's looking for top 100 but after 20, the debate rages. I'm a higher on BB 28 and X-Men 1 that some people will be. I also think Avengers 1 is a bit higher than it should be but who knows. Green Lantern 1 might not even get into the top 20...but barely makes my list at 19.

Your sig line books looks top 10 to me Joey!

Coming from a guy with a SICK sig line, just wating for a Bat1 to grace presense !

(worship)

1) Amazing Fantasy 15

2) Fantastic Four 1

3) Incredible Hulk 1

4) Showcase 4

5) Amazing Spider-man 1

6) Tales of Suspense 39

7) Journey into Mystery 83

8) X-Men 1

9) Showcase 22

10) Brave and Bold 28

11) Avengers 1

12) Tales to Astonish 27

13) Flash 105

14) Justice League of America 1

15) Fantastic Four 5

16) Action 247

17) Fantastic Four 2

18) Green Lantern 1

19) Daredevil 1

20) Amazing Spider-man 2

Here's my top 20. I know Joey's looking for top 100 but after 20, the debate rages. I'm a higher on BB 28 and X-Men 1 that some people will be. I also think Avengers 1 is a bit higher than it should be but who knows. Green Lantern 1 might not even get into the top 20...but barely makes my list at 19.

:baiting: the top 20 are published by overstreet based on value and just happen to be these same books (although 16) is Adventure 247, not action :baiting: )

Add:

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 (1st app of the Sinister Six)

X-men #4 (1st app of Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch, 1st app of Brotherhood of Evil Mutants)

Showcase (1956-1978) #15 (1st App of Space Ranger)

Adventure Comics #229 (1st App of Aquaman)

Remove:

X-men #94 (not silver)

Nick Fury #1 (not silver)

Submariner #1 (not silver)

Iron Man (not silver)

Superman #200 (not key outside of the number)

Batman #200 (not key outside of the number)

Strange Tales 115 (4th Dr Stange? Eh)

Avengers 2 (outside of it being the 2nd ap of the Avengers, there's nothing special)

on the fence

Journey Into Mystery 84 (2nd Thor, but nothing else key, no iconic villian, no origin story, just Jane Foster)

Showcase 9 (first app of the title "Superman's girlfriend Lois Lane, but thats it)

Also not sure when you are ending the Silver Age. I use the launch of Iron Man & Submariner #1s as the start of the Bronze age in my head.

Since I removed more than I added let me add another:

Brave and Bold 54 (someone else already mentioned it too)

1st app of Teen Titans. In DC, besides the JLA arent the Teen Titans the #2 "team" out there? So it makes sense that their first app should be on the top 100 silvers.

Any love for Action #241? First appearance of the Fortress of Solitude and the big key?

I love it.

IIRC, a very respected DC collector I know considers it the first "true" SA Superman.

Another point for Action Comics

Action Comics (1938 DC) #254> First App of Bizarro Superman

It seems like for Marvel the "key" formula is:

1st Appearance of key/title character (AF15, FF1, etc)

1st issue of title character's own book (i.e. Captain America #100)

1st appearance of main villain(s) of character (i.e. Red Skull, Green Goblin, etc)

Origin story of title character if not contained in 1st appearance/1st issue.

1st appearances of villains that have not lasted into the modern age dont make it (i.e. The Vanisher from X-men #2) or arent often used (Space Phantom, or Red Ghost) dont make it.

Since DC's main chararacters (Superman & Batman) are already hundreds of issues into their run, we've already seen most of their main villians. Exceptions like Mr Freeze for Batman (Batman #121) & Brainiac (Action 242) are the only examples on the list right now for the two... So I'd add Bizarro, (only further helped by his role in All Star Superman by Morrison).

IM not a fan of seeing 2nd and 3rd team appearances as Keys... You already have the members 1st appearances and in many cases 2nd appearances, then you have the team's 1st appearance... going past that (unless their is a key introduction (i.e.e Cap being added in Avengers 4, or a key new villain with a long history) doesn't make sense...

Remove

53) Brave and Bold 30

58) Brave and Bold 29

(JLA 2nd and 3rd app)

Would add:

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #1 (1st issue of title that ran 100+ issues with Lois as lead)

My Greatest Adventure 80 1st appearance of Doom Patrol

Remove:

Nick Fury #1 (not silver)

Submariner #1 (not silver)

Iron Man #1 (not silver)

Also not sure when you are ending the Silver Age. I use the launch of Iron Man & Submariner #1s as the start of the Bronze age in my head.

(tsk) Shame on you Met. Don't let the Elvis Fan in Portugal see this post.

Nick Fury 1, Subby 1, Iron Man 1, and IMSM 1 are all silver age books as they all came out in 1968. It is widely accepted by most sources (Overstreet, Heritage, and many comic shops, dealers, and collectors I have had the pleasure of speaking to or doing business with) that the Bronze age started in 1970 (some say with GL 76, but that is still open to debate IMHO).

I forgive you. :foryou: