• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest possible grade by CGC for detached cover on GA

16 posts in this topic

Any opinions on highest grade CGC would give on nice GA w detached cover? Early Batman w detached cover, but otherwise the book appears 5-6.0 range w cream PQ....

I saw some slabbed books on comic connect indicating detached cover that were 3.0 any possibility of higher?

The Old school in me would call it Good (2.0) at best and thats that but I know the times have changed.

Thx

I believe if it is going to get a universal grade, depending on the condition of the book it can grade as high as 4.0 .

+1

3.0 is generally the top grade for a detached cover, until someone shows me otherwise. :grin:

bm155ts.jpg

I believe if it is going to get a universal grade, depending on the condition of the book it can grade as high as 4.0 .

+1

3.0 is the top grade for a detached cover, until someone shows me otherwise. :grin:

Detached covers have been noted to get up to a 4.0. This link (to a thread stickied near the top of this forum) provides more info, including some scans, such as a detached cover 4.0 Supes #1...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4421055&fpart=1

True, it is a Supes #1, but there are a couple other 4.0 detached cover scans in that thread as well, including the following, all of which seem to suggest that CGC allows up to a 4.0 for books with detached covers, or it least they have historically...

128270.jpg.d0e1014904b65f08608c520541250368.jpg

128271.jpg.7e1509b222af8cf4d26b5d7455a1ad4e.jpg

+1

3.0 is generally the top grade for a detached cover, until someone shows me otherwise. :grin:

bm155ts.jpg

You have been shown otherwise, do you yield? :baiting::)

True, it is a Supes #1, but there are a couple other 4.0 detached cover scans in that thread as well, including the following, all of which seem to suggest that CGC allows up to a 4.0 for books with detached covers, or it least they have historically...

The key word there is "historically". Note, those are all new labels. All of which seem to suggest that this is what CGC presently allows. :hi: Thanks for your diligence.

Searching Heritage archives the highest I found for a blue label completely detached cover is 4.0 - with only 1 staple detached the highest I could find is a 6.5.

Therefore, am I right in thinking that any comic grading higher than a 4.0 with a completely detached cover would earn a 'qualified' grade? I just had a comic graded a qualified 5.0 with cover detached - maybe I should beat it up a bit to get a blue label 4.0....

Searching Heritage archives the highest I found for a blue label completely detached cover is 4.0 - with only 1 staple detached the highest I could find is a 6.5.

Therefore, am I right in thinking that any comic grading higher than a 4.0 with a completely detached cover would earn a 'qualified' grade? I just had a comic graded a qualified 5.0 with cover detached - maybe I should beat it up a bit to get a blue label 4.0....

For books with certain defects, I've heard that CGC will allow you to request to have it graded as with a green label, or with a blue label (although if you don't ask up front, I'm not sure how they decide what to default to).

If you wanted to get your Green label detached cover 5.0 regraded as a blue label, I believe you can just send it in to CGC and ask that they grade it with a blue label rather than a green label. If you do so, based on historical evidence, it would likely come back as a blue label in 4.0 or lower (likely lower, unless it's otherwise pretty nice). No need to beat it up a bit first, unless you want a lower blue label grade :insane: