• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing and sticker for digital comics
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I think you're free to do whatever you want with your books but people are generally telling you what is probably your best bet financially and you're getting offended by it (shrug)

If you don't care about the money then go ahead and slab them. No one else cares about your money, they are just giving honest advice.

I think it has a lot less to do with what was said than how it was said.

Does anyone know if pressing a modern book that has the digital code, effects the sticker covering the code? Pros/Cons?

I am not familiar with this at all. Can you list/show some examples? What is the code intended to do?

Most modern Marvel books (sorry can't speak for DC) have a little sticker on the back of the book that covers up a code that unlocks a digital version on your PC, iPod, etc. (run by comxiology). Almost all Marvel books have them now-a-days. It seems that they are targeting those who collect the books or resells for profit with those who want to read the books without putting any stress on their collectable.

I'm not completely familiar with the pressing process (something that flattens your book that helps in the grade by ironing out wrinkles and some blemishes). Some places I read use chemicals. While others use heat or steam.

What I'm in search of is if anyone knows if this process effects the sticker. Does the chemicals or heat loosen up the sticker.

This also ties into another post I had about if the sticker effects the grade of the book or not.

Thanks for asking.

I think you're free to do whatever you want with your books but people are generally telling you what is probably your best bet financially and you're getting offended by it (shrug)

If you don't care about the money then go ahead and slab them. No one else cares about your money, they are just giving honest advice.

I think it has a lot less to do with what was said than how it was said.

Thank you!

Okay, I think I get it now. So, I go out and buy (for the sake of argument) ASM #688. I get home, I read the book and in the book somewhere is a little sticker that covers a code for a digital copy of the book to be read on whatever device(s) I choose?

Why protect it with a sticker? Does every individual book have an individual code? Is that code reusable or does it expire?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just a very new idea to me.

Okay, I think I get it now. So, I go out and buy (for the sake of argument) ASM #688. I get home, I read the book and in the book somewhere is a little sticker that covers a code for a digital copy of the book to be read on whatever device(s) I choose?

Why protect it with a sticker? Does every individual book have an individual code? Is that code reusable or does it expire?

Every individual book has a unique code. It expires after 12 months. It's covered so people can't just write down the codes on their phones without buying the book first.

CGC have said a removed sticker will be noted on the label. Think Tatooz on ASM 238.

Every individual book has a unique code. It expires after 12 months. It's covered so people can't just write down the codes on their phones without buying the book first.

CGC have said a removed sticker will be noted on the label. Think Tatooz on ASM 238.

Weird, okay, but weird. I think I understand the initial question now and the whole concept. Is this how DC came to offer "digital copy" variants in the bags? I heard the term but had no clue as to what it meant.

lol! That answers the question I had on another post. So it sounds like it doesn't take a hit on the grade at all.

Technically the sticker is more like a cling or they use very little glue to hold it on. It would probably release over time regardless.

MedicAR - it is kind of nice to have a digital version. Instead of dragging a ton of books around to read I can have them on my mobile device or is a way to share within a family. My daughter reads Avengers Vs. X-Men, I get the digital codes. No need to buy several copies. What sucks about the codes is Marvel (again I can't speak about DC) feels that every version including the high-priced variants (that are clearly aimed to the collectors) needs one.

Like Kenners pointed out, I too have a book that I'd like to see the cover too - and paid a little cash to obtain. The book has a bit of wrinkles around the staple that I was wondering if pressing would fix - but I don't want to necessarily sacrifice the sticker in exchange for a few more points in the grade.

Finally as aman619 has pointed out there is no value in slabbing unless you are willing to sell, especially modern books. Regardless that in doing so my book could see a little bit more light of day and can be enjoyed instead of hidden in a box or safe. That is the financial point of view and while there is nothing wrong with his comments and how he does his collection - that isn't how I roll.

Sorry I offended you .. I only offered what most of us we think is good advice based on how we handle our books. But, I think one big difference between our approaches is that most of us don't display our valuable comics... So tucked in mylars with boards and stored safely and taken out to look at when we choose is the way we roll.

If I wanted for instance to look at the cover art every day, I'd probably frame a cover reproduction. Putting a valuable book on the wall, or on display just puts it at risk: damage, theft and sun fading.

Consider too that even CGC does NOT advertise their slabs as protective devices! They a selling grades.... The tamper proof slab is purely to protect their grade! Dropping your slab can actually damage your book. Another reason many of us don't pay to slab our books for display or safe storage... Again, unless a sale is imminent.

Peace.

Does anyone know if pressing a modern book that has the digital code, effects the sticker covering the code? Pros/Cons?

I am not familiar with this at all. Can you list/show some examples? What is the code intended to do?

Most modern Marvel books (sorry can't speak for DC) have a little sticker on the back of the book that covers up a code that unlocks a digital version on your PC, iPod, etc. (run by comxiology). Almost all Marvel books have them now-a-days. It seems that they are targeting those who collect the books or resells for profit with those who want to read the books without putting any stress on their collectable.

I'm not completely familiar with the pressing process (something that flattens your book that helps in the grade by ironing out wrinkles and some blemishes). Some places I read use chemicals. While others use heat or steam.

What I'm in search of is if anyone knows if this process effects the sticker. Does the chemicals or heat loosen up the sticker.

This also ties into another post I had about if the sticker effects the grade of the book or not.

Thanks for asking.

You (or I) have to be extremely careful and patient, but it is possible to properly press these types of books.

Slab them because of the art that you will no longer be able to see? Mylars protect books just fine. The only non-OCD reason to slab is to sell, or determine its grade and therefore, it's value!

BS Maybe it's your only reason, but I do it for myself. I read most of my books digitally too... Is that ok with you?

Fixed.

Taking one for the team and doing a book with the sticker in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it works out.

For the record its Wolverine #310 1:50 Variant. I may not be laughing to the bank on this "gold mine", but it is one for the collection and "hopefully" break a 9.9 or 10 personally.

Edited by sirbestow

UPDATE- I actually didn't send Wolverine 310 variant. It was more pressing (HA!) that I did First X-Men1 variant. Reason - Neal Adams was at Baltimore Comic Con this past weekend. It seemed to be a better pick so I could take advantage of getting a signature series.

The sticker? It seemed to be fine. I was informed that the pressing shouldn't do anything more than leave an imprint of the sticker on the next page. The imprint doesn't count against the grade since most likely there will be one from being pressed naturally in storage alone.

The grade? Well there was minor corner crunch on the book from improper shipping from the vendor (sandwiched between cardboard and shipped in a regular mailer). I continued to improperly ship (sandwiched between cardboard and packed in a bubble mailer) it to the person for pressing. I don't know if I caused more damage or if that was from the first shipment. Lesson learned to wrap and mail in a box instead of of a mailer. The flaw in shipping might have bumped the grade to a 9.6. The pressing might only raise it to a 9.8. So much for an attempted 9.9 or 10, this time. The corner looked great! You couldn't tell it was crunched.

Now comes the wait and the next update will probably fall in 6-12 months when I get it back from the CGC.

@sirbestow Have you learned any more about this subject? I am currently in the process of figuring this out. I have gotten it down to the point that I am only leaving a bit of an impression on the page the sticker is on. No color loss. Will this affect the grade? Anyone

On 7/22/2012 at 12:48 PM, Aman619 said:

Slab them because of the art that you will no longer be able to see? Mylars protect books just fine. The only reason to slab is to sell, or determine its grade and therefore, it's value!

you just gotta look over that part, comes with the territory. I have a few I got graded that is because I love the comic personally and wanted it graded since it was of my favorite character, some only are in for the profit margin, twhich is ok for them, but some collect what they want and means to them, like me. You want them graded, do it. now if they wanna pay for your bill?? hey then it may not be like the proverbial you know what that every one has.  

On 7/22/2012 at 3:53 PM, sirbestow said:

Thanks for asking.

I know it sometimes leaves a little square mark on the back cover, so I would love to hear someone that knows about this as well., I saw an article about it, when I re locate it I will get that link to you. will also ask a guy that presses for people in a comic shop near here and try to get his in put as well. good luck and you get a real answer before then please, share it with me