• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing and sticker for digital comics
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Not sure were to post the question so I'll post it here (since it isn't necessarily a grading question).

Does anyone know if pressing a modern book that has the digital code, effects the sticker covering the code? Pros/Cons?

[font:Book Antiqua]Why does anyone want to press a book 1 or 2 years old...?[/font]

(shrug)

The same reason you'd press one that's 40-50 years old. :makepoint:

[font:Book Antiqua]Whatever...

In any case more money for Joey and CGC.[/font]

:whatev:

[font:Book Antiqua]Why does anyone want to press a book 1 or 2 years old...?[/font]

(shrug)

Because I made the investment in the book to begin with and considering I would make a further investment with getting it graded I would like to consider my options to maximizing it.

(shrug)

Because I made the investment in the book to begin with and considering I would make a further investment with getting it graded I would like to consider my options to maximizing it.

[font:Book Antiqua]Invest in Modern Books..., Mmmmm,

Sure why not, look like a Gold mine to me...[/font]

:takeit:

Hmmmm .. Interesting comments. I intend to slab my entire run of Captain America Brubaker run Modern's soon, not for the financial benefits (none); but the fact that I love the art. It ain't always about the money/investment. Different strokes for different people.

Slab them because of the art that you will no longer be able to see? Mylars protect books just fine. The only reason to slab is to sell, or determine its grade and therefore, it's value!

I was a sucker for a variant cover. I liked the art and the artiest. Considering ratio covers just sell at a premium out the gate I'd like to protect what I bought. I have a reg cover to read and enjoy the art. If I didn't it isn't like it is easy to get a digital print now a days.

Is it a "long term investment (or gold mine as I'm now told)", who knows. Some of the modern "stuff" does good and some fails epically. As far as I know, I might be looking at the 90's revisited and the whole thing crashes. What I would like to do is keep this book a little better in the long term.

My next question is WHY on a CGC site has so many people to tell me why I shouldn't use CGC or my membership.

Because if you are looking at your long term value, why increase your cost basis NOW years before you may choose to sell? You admit to the al possibility that the books current value might be a flash in the pan, like 99% of modern hot books.

And you are getting honest opinions and advice here on a CGC board because honesty like this doesn't scare or offend CGC. Thy aren't hurting for another few slab fees! To their credit.

Edited by aman619

OK. So with your logic I should bag and board the book and put it in a corner and HOPE that nothing happens to the book (mistakes do happen) and never look at the book again until I'm ready to sell, THEN get it graded if it is even worth anything vs. getting it graded (lessening mistakes) and having it available to display and look at.

It is funny that you say honest opinions and I have yet to actually get an answer to my actually question. I didn't ask opinions to grading modern books. I asked the effects of pressing does to the sticker that covers the digital code.

I'm also not getting HONEST opinions. I'm getting one person's point of view on how they collect.

Edited by sirbestow

I think you're free to do whatever you want with your books but people are generally telling you what is probably your best bet financially and you're getting offended by it (shrug)

If you don't care about the money then go ahead and slab them. No one else cares about your money, they are just giving honest advice.

Slab them because of the art that you will no longer be able to see? Mylars protect books just fine. The only reason to slab is to sell, or determine its grade and therefore, it's value!

I slab them for the cover art. Slabs are more robust than mylars. Your last sentence is your own preference, not mine.

OK. So with your logic I should bag and board the book and put it in a corner and HOPE that nothing happens to the book (mistakes do happen) and never look at the book again until I'm ready to sell, THEN get it graded if it is even worth anything vs. getting it graded (lessening mistakes) and having it available to display and look at.

It is funny that you say honest opinions and I have yet to actually get an answer to my actually question. I didn't ask opinions to grading modern books. I asked the effects of pressing does to the sticker that covers the digital code.

I'm also not getting HONEST opinions. I'm getting one person's point of view on how they collect.

send joeypost a PM. He presses books and does a great job and will be able to answer your question.

I think you're free to do whatever you want with your books but people are generally telling you what is probably your best bet financially and you're getting offended by it (shrug)

If you don't care about the money then go ahead and slab them. No one else cares about your money, they are just giving honest advice.

That is fine, but not the question I asked. If I wanted financial advice, I would have asked it initially. I'm not so much offended by "some" of the answers as insulted. When I get "opinions" that are condescending more than constructive.

---

Thanks thehumantorch, I'll check it out.

Edited by sirbestow

Does anyone know if pressing a modern book that has the digital code, effects the sticker covering the code? Pros/Cons?

I am not familiar with this at all. Can you list/show some examples? What is the code intended to do?