• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TIME MACHINE! Sealed boxes from the distributor. Will I find a 9.9?
1 1

165 posts in this topic

When grading moderns how much do spine rubs affect the grade?

This is a really good question, but I'm almost positive that the spine rubbing you see in the picture is enough to downgrade to a 9.8 or even less. Maybe I'm being too picky? I'm really hoping that some of the veterans will chime in with the secrets of the trade. ;)

I mean, the corners on this book are REALLY nice. But the blasted spine rub! It's just too much IMHO.

The books of the modern era have different paper and the spine fold has naturally a break along almost all of it. The older books do too often times, but my point is that many "defects" are not damage caused after printing.

Grading weighs all imperfections, and printing defects do receive different weight than other defects. If you read enough, you will find people who think marvel chipping is treated like it isn't there. Some defects are ignored at grades below a certain level.

So, grading is a huge subject of weighing varies imperfections, deciding what each was caused by likely, and how it should affect the grade.

Check out any hard paper stock cover, such as the Platinum Spider-Man. Those covers all have a spine split the entire length of the book. The thickness of the cover paper is the cause, so grading that is judging how much of a split there is? Is it deep and/or wide, or just a narrow slight break of the surface? The handling of those books, and like in the pictures here, how they were packed into boxes, and removed from them, that all adds to the defects.

Here are a few pics of the lower left hand corner. This is the better looking spine corner of the raw book. As you can see, it also seems to be better than the mint book in some ways!

lowerleft1.jpglowerleft2.jpglowerleft3.jpglowerleft4.jpg

Here are two shots of the upper right hand corner. Appears identical. Both books have razor sharp cuts in this corner. upr1.jpgupr2.jpg

...and finally the lower right hand corner. Once again, pretty identical. IMG_3166.jpg

I have passed on so many modern books, and or not sent them in because I assumed the color breaking spine rub would be graded harshly. Being uninformed sucks.

I think the next step will definitely be to send it off for grading. It's the only way to know for sure!

I don't expect the book in the picture to get a 9.9.

I can say the following:

You've seen the pics. The corners on the book are incredible! It's the spine-rub that worries and interests me the most!

Details you can't see? Well, the book is FLAT. The book has never been touched by my bare hands. I used protection. ;)

It has sat in a sealed distributors box for 18 years! VIRGIN.

I am personally going to guess 9.8. (shrug)

I'd rather play it safe.

So why is this thread in this forum? Because, while I wait for a grade from the CGC, I want to hear YOUR best guess! :popcorn:

I'd go so far as to say, in fact, that the corners on the raw book in the photograph are better than those on the 9.9 slab!

But the slab has a perfect spine. Very little rub at all. It's clearly the product of an OCD collector who, back in the mid 90s (man how I miss those days!) got a distributors box fresh off the press and put his gloved mits on the fresh cookie!

The spine rub has me concerned. The photographs really bring them out. The book "presents" better in person...and when I initially graded the books, I didn't happen to notice it as much.

I have a 9.9 mint slab of Spawn 1 that shows some evidence of spine rub, IIRC.

I remember being kind of surprised at that. I will have to break it out of the vault later this evening. I'll show you guys pictures.

I'm glad some of you are enjoying this insane journey of mine! I am really enjoying the hunt and being able to share it with people who understand makes it VERY enjoyable for me as a collector.

Basically, I live in the middle of nowhere and I only have one real-life friend that is a comic nerd, and he isn't an insane collector like I am so...

Thanks.

Edited by newshane

The book is going out tomorrow. Modern fast track. Like I said, I just want to establish a reference for my own good. I don't really expect this to come back as a 9.9.

The good news is that I have another raw copy of the same issue that is in BETTER condition than the one pictured. I will definitely keep everyone updated on the grade.

I will also be cracking open a third box this weekend. I won't go insane with the pics from here on out unless I find something truly interesting or different. Stay tuned!

Edited by newshane

I'm going to agree that it's a 9.8. In the photos it really does stand out, the red really seems to make the rubbing look worse than I'm sure it is.

Edit: I went back and looked again, the lower left hand corner on your 9.9 is downright fugly, I'm even more confused now @___@

Edited by Hado

Hado...that's literally the only flaw on the book and it looks worse than it is because of the way it was pinched, if that makes any sense.

A 9.9 can still have a flaw, and of course that is why 10s exist.

My 9.9 of issue 1 has a similar tick.

I have other 9.9s that have similar TINY flaws.

I think the deal is this...it can only be ONE and it must be minute.

That would be my best GUESS of course. I'm learning here.

*paging Beachbum!*

The book is going out tomorrow. Modern fast track. Like I said, I just want to establish a reference for my own good. I don't really expect this to come back as a 9.9.

The good news is that I have another raw copy of the same issue that is in BETTER condition than the one pictured. I will definitely keep everyone updated on the grade.

I will also be cracking open a third box this weekend. I won't go insane with the pics from here on out unless I find something truly interesting or different. Stay tuned!

If there are plenty to choose from which you believe are 9.8's are better, and the 9.8's are worthy to slab, send in several. Give the grader's a chance to call one a 9.9, from several books.

You have a better chance of a 9.9 if you send in more than one copy of the same issue.
Yes and put the best one last on the form and bottom of the pile.

If they give others 9.8 and they get to the last one and it's clearly better you got a nice chance of getting a 9.9.

Hado...that's literally the only flaw on the book and it looks worse than it is because of the way it was pinched, if that makes any sense.

*paging Beachbum!*

I sent in some streetfighter books in, they had thick chromium covers, all appeared perfect, I sent in three. All came back 9.8, I may have to get the notes to see what they found.

*paging Beachbum!*

I sent in some streetfighter books in, they had thick chromium covers, all appeared perfect, I sent in three. All came back 9.8, I may have to get the notes to see what they found.

I wouldnt waste your money, most likely there arent any notes.

I sent in an Iron Fist 14 a while ago that i really thought had 9.9-10.0 potential. Out of all 4,000 raws i have and 700 slabs, i'd say its EASILY the nicest book i have ever owned. Came back a 9.8w and called for the notes in the good ole days when they were free to see what kept it from going higher but there was nothing whatsoever in the notes (shrug)