• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TIME MACHINE! Sealed boxes from the distributor. Will I find a 9.9?
1 1

165 posts in this topic

This was 2 years back. Did any come back better than 9.8?
No. 7 copies passed a Classics Incorporated 9.8 prescreen and were submitted to CGC. 5 copies came back 9.8 and 2 received 9.6 status.

You should read this whole thread. It's really great.

7?

Out of 1500 copies?

Or do I need to read the whole thread...?

I think you need to read the whole thread.

My "7 copies" reference is completely wrong. doh!

No. 7 copies passed a Classics Incorporated 9.8 prescreen and were submitted to CGC. 5 copies came back 9.8 and 2 received 9.6 status.

7?

Out of 1500 copies?

I just skimmed the whole thread.

The problem that CGC has, and it's a very big one, is that they are extremely overprotective of the 9.9 and 10 grades, and way, way, wayyyy too liberal with the 9.8 grades.

I've subbed nearly 2,000 books at this point, and hit 9.8s with no problem, even without a safety net (prescreen.)

I have subbed, in six years, exactly 6 books that graded 10, and a single 9.9. I've got at least 4 books in 9.8 slabs that are no contest 9.9s. Yes, I know everyone says that, but I have dealt only in ultra high grade for 2+ decades. I take magnifying loupes to comics. I don't think anyone would disagree with me, especially in light of many of the books that get a 9.8. These "9.8s" are substantially, obviously, MEASURABLY better than the standard 9.8s, but they get put in 9.8 slabs.

It makes no sense to have a book that has an oxidized bottom staple from water damage grade a 9.8....and a book that has a single fleck, no bigger than the period at the end of this sentence, and THAT'S IT...also be a 9.8.

I suspect it is the culture of Borock and Haspel that has instilled this into everyone grading moderns. It's not so much that the ceiling is 9.8, is that to BREAK that ceiling, a book has to not just BE flawless...it has to IMPRESS the finalizer.

This isn't a bad thing, unless it's taken to the extreme, as CGC has.

So, I keep the ultra high grade stuff raw. Not worth the cost to get it in a 9.8 slab. I've got 3-4 long boxes of the stuff. I'm happy to keep them as is, until the culture changes.

7?

Out of 1500 copies?

I just skimmed the whole thread.

The problem that CGC has, and it's a very big one, is that they are extremely overprotective of the 9.9 and 10 grades, and way, way, wayyyy too liberal with the 9.8 grades.

I've subbed nearly 2,000 books at this point, and hit 9.8s with no problem, even without a safety net (prescreen.)

I have subbed, in six years, exactly 6 books that graded 10, and a single 9.9. I've got at least 4 books in 9.8 slabs that are no contest 9.9s. Yes, I know everyone says that, but I have dealt only in ultra high grade for 2+ decades. I take magnifying loupes to comics. I don't think anyone would disagree with me, especially in light of many of the books that get a 9.8. These "9.8s" are substantially, obviously, MEASURABLY better than the standard 9.8s, but they get put in 9.8 slabs.

It makes no sense to have a book that has an oxidized bottom staple from water damage grade a 9.8....and a book that has a single fleck, no bigger than the period at the end of this sentence, and THAT'S IT...also be a 9.8.

I suspect it is the culture of Borock and Haspel that has instilled this into everyone grading moderns. It's not so much that the ceiling is 9.8, is that to BREAK that ceiling, a book has to not just BE flawless...it has to IMPRESS the finalizer.

This isn't a bad thing, unless it's taken to the extreme, as CGC has.

So, I keep the ultra high grade stuff raw. Not worth the cost to get it in a 9.8 slab. I've got 3-4 long boxes of the stuff. I'm happy to keep them as is, until the culture changes.

Very good point!