• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Larry Stroman: Reputable?
2 2

114 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Madman1138 said:

Now Stroman is doing these 11x17 sketches that he puts up for sale on various FB groups and such. They are pretty nice and I know better than to commission him, but I thought surely he won't have an issue with an already finished piece. So I replied, he told me where to Paypal the money and I sent it immediately. With shipping it was only $90, so I figured it was worth the risk even knowing his reputation on commissions because I liked the art. But sure enough, I never heard from him again. I messaged through the FB group sale listing, direct to him, and through his Paypal email address. He never responded to any of them and never mailed the art. Someone in the FB mentioned to me that they had to initiate a Paypal refund to get him to mail out their art, so right around 45 days since payment was sent and no word ever received, I initiated a Paypal dispute. Literally the next morning I got a FB Messenger photo of the shipping receipt with the tracking info and he mailed it. So I did get it and close the dispute, but without the ability to threaten to take the money back I doubt I ever would have seen my piece. I even watched him mock a guy he never delivered to on his FB page as the guy was trying everything. So unless you simply "have to have" something by him and see him in person at a con and buy something in a portfolio that is already done and right in front of you, just avoid any deals with him. He straight out doesn't care.

Those facebook groups should kick him so he can't screw people over like that.

On 6/7/2016 at 3:01 PM, Koa said:

Fans tend to be reverential and forgiving of their favorite artists and artists who are prone to taking advantage of that, really push it to the limits.

This might be the worst part of being a comic fan.  Not to excuse bad behavior among some artists but I'm sure some of them have some fan encounter (and commission) horror stories as well.

But in general, this is one of the few hobbies or interests where you can get REALLY close to someone whose work you appreciate.  I mean, these people would go to comic conventions and don't have an entourage.  We're kind of used to it now but do you remember the first time you saw an artist and you knew their work ?

Do you think you'll ever get a chance to say... Hey Sir Paul, can you write a little poem for me in iambic pentameter about 3 colors and the 212 area code ?

This guy is terrible . Unless you see him in person DO NOT send him money . He will never ship you art. His whole game is to talk to you and sell his art cheap . Once he has your payment he ghosts you and hopes you didn’t cover your tracks using PayPal business payment . I paid him March 19/2020 for finished art he never sent . He made me file a PayPal claim to get my money back . Just a scum bag . He went  so far to take picture with art I supposedly bought only to never ship it . He actually removed all my comments and blocked me from Instagram , messenger , Facebook and refused to respond to emails I sent via PayPal.

BTW PayPal sided with me. For 180.00 bucks I have to ask was it worth smearing your rep as an artist and hurting a fan? In these crazy times of Covid where money is tight  I chose to send you some of mine in good faith  for art you advertised and you rip me off? 

STAY AWAY!!!

707E2883-5586-496C-84FE-6DA231FF274A.png

Edited by Subby1938

No that’s a picture I never got . Money taken no art sent . 

March19/2020 paid in full no art sent . Larry Stroman has been ripping people off for better part of decad . This guy reposted the art I bought the same day I had to file a PayPal claim to get a refund . He’s garbage 

0BEA4A7A-8F47-466F-A0F5-CDCBEDE22BF2.png

Edited by Subby1938

Here is art on my page and the story to go with it .... funny how these posts initiated a reaction from Mr Stroman but I’m still waiting for PayPal refund  because even that’s pending  . I only got one response from this guy after I paid him that was after he realized PayPal was involved. Loser

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1630381

Edited by Subby1938

To show you what kind of crook this guy is , this morning on CAF he posted the very art he sold me in March again!!!!! WTF you shameless piece of garbage . One day after I had to fight to get my money refunded through PayPal you post it again . 

Im embarrassed for you . Really 

F52FB5EB-7580-46B6-81C3-D6377E56B7BC.png

He sold like 10 completed commissions to my local CB store at once. I am sure they were meant for someone else and he just sold them in bulk to the owner because he was in front of him with cash. That being said I bought 4 of the 10. 

25 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

He sold like 10 completed commissions to my local CB store at once. I am sure they were meant for someone else and he just sold them in bulk to the owner because he was in front of him with cash. That being said I bought 4 of the 10. 

Yeah, I got a commission and picked up a pre done piece at a con a bit ago. The pre done one had somebody’s info on the back, so I always assumed it was a request that wasn’t picked up from another con. No telling tho with all these stories. 

I hear that’s only way to get art from him is directly . Does he have drug problem? His behaviour is that of crack addict . He needs quick cash for his fix screws people over then pawns the art off later in bulk like a pawn shop . He’s terrible . 

I could never hang this guy on my wall with other awesome artists I have knowing what he does to people . I refuse to support that! 

Edited by Subby1938

Glad it was resolved and sorry to hear about your experience.

Buyers beware! There are tons of artists that have similar reputations, where they have trouble (to say the least) with shipping out finished artwork.  My friend successfully ordered predone pieces from Larry through facebook (against my recommendation).  But they arrived promptly (ish) without heartache.  Now my friend just has a few artists left that he's been waiting 4-7 years on. lol

I had only 1 issue with a commission/shipping , and that involved Bill Sienkiewicz.  After 3-4 months I started (internally) freaking out.  This was over a decade ago, and in hindsight I wish I had been more patient because all I did was cause myself aggravation.  3-4 months is nothing, artists are flighty and unless they completely disappear off social media (this was pre-facebook) there is always a chance to get your art (...eventually).

When i make purchases through ebay, I much have higher standards.

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

I wasn’t given slightest hint in almost two months that my commission had even started or no tracking info . I started to worry when customers contacted me saying they had nothing sent to them they purchased finished art months before me . 

I can’t wrap my head around not shipping a finished piece of artwork ? Show me the customer you’re a legit artist . Maybe I can wait longer for a commission but when you don’t send me the art , don’t answer my questions and even more bizarre force me to file with PayPal to get a refund ? Why ? Are you hoping I gifted you cash Instead of doing business transaction via PayPal, so you can disappear like you intended to begin with ? Sounds logical to me . 

im not that dumb to do that . I did a lot of reading about your behaviour and was willing to give you a chance  . Why not ? Well you failed colossally pal! 

10 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

I wasn’t given slightest hint in almost two months that my commission had even started or no tracking info . I started to worry when customers contacted me saying they had nothing sent to them they purchased finished art months before me . 

I can’t wrap my head around not shipping a finished piece of artwork ? Show me the customer you’re a legit artist . Maybe I can wait longer for a commission but when you don’t send me the art , don’t answer my questions and even more bizarre force me to file with PayPal to get a refund ? Why ? Are you hoping I gifted you cash Instead of doing business transaction via PayPal, so you can disappear like you intended to begin with ? Sounds logical to me . 

im not that dumb to do that . I did a lot of reading about your behaviour and was willing to give you a chance  . Why not ? Well you failed colossally pal! 

With some exceptions, I rarely see major complaints about more senior artists (although, I have seen them about Sienk).

I’ve gotten some art form big names and there has been no issue at all. A few took longer than expected but the communication was excellent and kept me confident that all is moving forward . 

This guy seems to be a broken record and reading posts that go back to 2012 people complained about this exact same scam. It’s too bad . His art is awesome he’s not .