• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much is my collection worth? *DELETED*

60 posts in this topic

For insurance purposes-$231,765.78

On ebay I'd set a reserve of at least $45,000 as most of these books are quite hard to come by in the condition you list. I'd set a BIN at at least $40,000

As you can see,you'd get the most money if some tragedy,such as a trailer fire, occurred,taking your comics with it. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the links. I priced them out myself with the new 2004 OSPG and came up with a total around $58,000. Since 2004 OSPG only grades up to 9.2 I had to guess what a lot of my higher grades would be worth. I understand what the OSPG says my books are worth and what I can actually get for them on Ebay are two separate things. I basically want a realistic value I can sell them at. I think my collection is for the most part highly collectible and pretty solid with very little junk. I am of course biased though because it is my collection and I am seeking a dis-interested (if that is a word) 2nd party's opinion.

Do you have an OS price guide? Use it to price everything before 1975, everything published between 1976 and 1990 is worth $2, everything else is 50-cent fodder.

Any more questions? confused-smiley-013.gif

I am skeptical that CIA would give me OSPG value if I lost my collection in a fire. I am curious if anyone in this forum actually ever lost their whole collection and CIA replaced it at OSPG's value. I imagine they would give something like 50% of OSPG. confused-smiley-013.gif Your estimate for reserve sounds close to what I was thinking. I need to figure out how much Ebay will take from me just for listing a collection of this size. I would hate to pay hundreds of dollars in listing fees and then the collection doesn't sell.

Since you asked nicely, a ballpark estimate of the collection at retail is around $35,000, give or take a few. Note that many of the books in your collection that Overstreet shows with value are essentially worthless. Banner's back of the envelope note is correct.

The value that a dealer would give you? Probably in the $5-8K range, if that. There's a lot of good stuff there as well, but nothing that jumps out and says BUY ME BUY ME. If you sold it all on eBay, you might get in the 35-40K range, but you'd be looking at a lot of work.

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 73 3 9.4

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 46 5 9.4

You must have really liked these two issues! smile.gif

Nice collection, but I think FD sums up the situation well. I wouldn't expect any really spectacular sales price for the entire collection for exactly the reasons he spells out so well...

Individually though you'd probably find buyers at guide prices for a number of the key issues. Let us know when you want us to paw through your list and make you offers on individual issues. hi.gif

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 73 3 9.4

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 46 5 9.4

You must have really liked these two issues! smile.gif

What is not to love? Spidey takes on the X-men in SW#3. Awesome fight. Those who think Wolvie could beat Spidey should read this comic. Spidey basically takes Wolvie out of action with a single backhanded b-slap. I got them for cheap which is why I have so many.

Nice collection, but I think FD sums up the situation well. I wouldn't expect any really spectacular sales price for the entire collection for exactly the reasons he spells out so well...

Individually though you'd probably find buyers at guide prices for a number of the key issues. Let us know when you want us to paw through your list and make you offers on individual issues. hi.gif

Thanks for input by both you and FD. $40k is about what I was thinking of setting my reserve at and maybe a BIN price of $48k or so. I understand I could probably get guide or better on some individual comics, but I really don't want to sell off the collection piece-by-piece. I might sweeten the pot with some HG CGC comics if I decide to sell on Ebay. If I did my Ebay calculations right I would have to pay Ebay almost $1,200 insertion and selling fees. 893frustrated.gif I also have to factor in that I spent almost a couple grand in the past year to store each of the comics in mylite 2s and backboards.

In all seriousness,do not waste your money putting a BIN on this auction. There is no way anyone will BIN this collection for more than a couple of grand. You might get somewhere in the neighborhood of the type of reserve you are looking for,but you'll never get a BIN.

CIA is supposed to give full replacement costs but they have been very sketchy with me on exactly what formula they use.

Nice collection!

Could I interst you in taking your lower grade copy of:

Amazing Spiderman 27 3.5

...off your hands since you have two? flowerred.gif

If you aren't interested in selling individual books, you're not going to sell the collection, it is that simple. I'm sorry for being harsh, but the vast majority of the books in there are essentially worthless. A sale of the entire collection would have a BIN of $5-7K, if that. Again, if you broke it up and sold it piece by piece, you'd be able to realize a significantly higher return.

Another thing is that I understanding the grade given is not a CGC but your own grade? I am sure that you are a fine grader but given that you may not have a rep as an accurate grader you might find it hard to get some high prices for your collection...I guess it comes down to this...Do you love your comics? If yes then keep them. If no then sell them. Why bother keeping something that you dont really care for..it looks like you already ahve a fairly good inventory done..come up with an excel spreedsheet with some prices and then ask anyone on here if they want to buy them. You could probably make a few big sales that would total what you could get for the collection on ebay. Then blowout the remaining issues on ebay is big lots. I have found that some people are will to apy a slight premium to get a long run of books at one time..Look at Filter's collection...yours pales in comprasion to his and he is onl asking for 25% or less of guide. Your BIN would be nearly 80% of guide for these books and most of those books are not worth what the guide has them at...