• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much is my collection worth? *DELETED*

60 posts in this topic

BIN would be nearly 80% of guide for these books and most of those books are not worth what the guide has them at...

Agreed...and be careful with your statement that "guide only goes up to 9.2 so I had to guess at the value of the higher grade books" as most people view that last price as "NM" price anyway.

Wanna know what these books are worth on ebay? A month or two ago I dumped big lots of a bunch of books just like you have listed, and here are the results...pretty embarassing, and frankly I would have given them to C4K or the neighborhood kids had I known the end prices beforehand.

Amazing Spider-man McFarlane Run $57.01 (about $2 each, guide about $10 each)

299 NM-

302 NM-

303 NM

304 NM-

305 NM

306 NM

307 NM

308 VF+

309 VF

310 NM-

311 NM

313 NM

314 NM

316 VF Venom appearance

317 NM- Venom appearance

318 NM

319 NM-

320 NM-

321 NM-

322 NM+

323 NM

324 NM

325 NM+

328 NM Hulk appearance

Hulk run $18.00 (about 35 cents each, guide about $2-3 each)

409 NM+

411 NM+

412 NM

413 NM+

414 NM

415 NM+

416 NM

417 NM

418 NM+

419 NM+

420 NM+

421 NM+

422 NM

423 NM

424 NM+

425 NM

426 NM+

427 NM+

428 NM+

429 NM+

430 NM

431 NM

432 NM+

433 NM

435 NM

436 NM+

437 NM

438 NM

439 NM

440 NM+

441 NM+

442 NM+

443 NM+

444 NM+

445 NM+

446 NM+

447 NM+

448 NM+

449 NM 1st Thunderbolts

450 NM

451 NM+

452 NM

453 NM

454 NM

455 NM+

456 NM+

457 NM

458 NM

459 NM

460 NM+

461 NM+

462 NM+

463 NM

464 NM+

466 NM

467 NM+

468 NM+

469 NM+

X-men Run $11.50 (about 50 cents each, guide about $2-3 each)

228 NM-

231 NM

232 NM

235 NM

247 NM

252 NM

255 NM-

259 NM-

262 NM

280 NM

281 NM New Team begins

298 NM

299 NM

302 NM

304 NM-

310 NM

311 NM

312 NM

317 NM

320 NM

322 NM

328 NM

There's a reason modern stuff ends up in the quarter and 50-cent bins!!

I could've done much better selling the McFarlanes Spideys individually, but I already had high grade doubles and it would've taken way more time than it's worth. You've got a lot of nice silver and bronze age books listed that would do well on ebay slabbed or raw, but I would suggest donating the post-1990 books to charity and taking the tax write-off if you're looking to sell.

BIN would be nearly 80% of guide for these books and most of those books are not worth what the guide has them at...

Agreed...and be careful with your statement that "guide only goes up to 9.2 so I had to guess at the value of the higher grade books" as most people view that last price as "NM" price anyway.

Wanna know what these books are worth on ebay? A month or two ago I dumped big lots of a bunch of books just like you have listed, and here are the results...pretty embarassing, and frankly I would have given them to C4K or the neighborhood kids had I known the end prices beforehand.

Amazing Spider-man McFarlane Run $57.01 (about $2 each, guide about $10 each)

299 NM-

302 NM-

303 NM

304 NM-

305 NM

306 NM

307 NM

308 VF+

309 VF

310 NM-

311 NM

313 NM

314 NM

316 VF Venom appearance

317 NM- Venom appearance

318 NM

319 NM-

320 NM-

321 NM-

322 NM+

323 NM

324 NM

325 NM+

328 NM Hulk appearance

There's a reason modern stuff ends up in the quarter and 50-cent bins!!

I could've done much better selling the McFarlanes Spideys individually, but I already had high grade doubles and it would've taken way more time than it's worth. You've got a lot of nice silver and bronze age books listed that would do well on ebay slabbed or raw, but I would suggest donating the post-1990 books to charity and taking the tax write-off if you're looking to sell.

Damn...

I would have bought the McFarlane ASMs for $2 a pop and saved you the eBay fees.

cool.gif

If you aren't interested in selling individual books, you're not going to sell the collection, it is that simple. I'm sorry for being harsh, but the vast majority of the books in there are essentially worthless. A sale of the entire collection would have a BIN of $5-7K, if that. Again, if you broke it up and sold it piece by piece, you'd be able to realize a significantly higher return.

Yep.

I'd pay 50% of guide for that GVG ASM 27 which would be $24.

Try to get more than that on eBay. 27_laughing.gif

eBay1 VG- (more like GVG)

eBay2 A fine for $31

eBay3 a CGC 3.0

If you aren't interested in selling individual books, you're not going to sell the collection, it is that simple. I'm sorry for being harsh, but the vast majority of the books in there are essentially worthless. A sale of the entire collection would have a BIN of $5-7K, if that. Again, if you broke it up and sold it piece by piece, you'd be able to realize a significantly higher return.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate your honesty. I could believe someone going into a local comic shop and the owner telling him his $58k collection is worth $5-7k to that particular dealer. I would turn from a seller to a buyer myself if I could find collections such as mine for $5-7k a pop. I might just be dreaming, but I think I will be able to get at least 50% value based on what I have seen selling on Ebay.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate your honesty. I could believe someone going into a local comic shop and the owner telling him his $58k collection is worth $5-7k to that particular dealer. I would turn from a seller to a buyer myself if I could find collections such as mine for $5-7k a pop. I might just be dreaming, but I think I will be able to get at least 50% value based on what I have seen selling on Ebay.

That being the case,I'll happily sell you lots of books. Each lot will have an OS of at least $10,000. Your cost will be $4,000(I'll eat the shipping) and you can flip them for at least $5,000,giving you a 20% profit for doing nothing more then listing and shipping them.

I'll break up each lot into books very simiar to the proportions of your collection.

The simple fact of the matter is that your collection,while nice and large, is quite common. Nothing really stands out and there is no reason for someone to buy all of your commons just to get at your nice peices.

Sad to say, but your mylites are worth more than many of the books they protect.

You came on here asking for advice,you've recieved it. Do what you will,but don't bother explaining yourself.

Why not post some scans of books that you consider 9.4s ect,so people can let you know what they think of your ability to grade.

Why not post some scans of books that you consider 9.4s ect,so people can let you know what they think of your ability to grade.

I second that. Start with the ASM 54, then someone will offer you a bundle for it, then you'll see the bright side of selling them a book at a time. thumbsup2.gif

I would turn from a seller to a buyer myself if I could find collections such as mine for $5-7k a pop.

Then get on EBay and you'll be able to get "thousands of dollars in Guide value" for only $9.99 + S&H. 27_laughing.gif

I might just be dreaming, but I think I will be able to get at least 50% value based on what I have seen selling on Ebay.

You obviously feel we're all sharks or something, low-balling some poor newbie and looking to "steal his valuable collection".

What you need is a good dose of reality, so please list your collection on EBay at the stated amounts, and let's see how high the bids go.

The only non-key Marvel comics that will go for good money (good money = near book or better) are pre 1965 in VF or better, and 1966-1975 in VF-NM or better.

The rest you are looking at half-book for the pre-1975 stuff, sometimes a little more for the more popular titles like ASM, FF, X-men. If you can get 60-70% on them you are doing great.

Realize people are used to getting great/outrageous deals on un-slabbed books no matter the grade on eBay. So, take an individual book and slash its value by as much as half, probably average around 30%, cause thats close to what it'll sell for. Now, wrap up the entire collection. People expect to get a significant bargain on large lots. Slash the price some more, probably another 30-35% Now realize that the only folks that will pay large amounts of coin for a collection such as yours are those that would be interested in flipping it for profit. They have to make a margin on the book, so slash the price some more. After all the price slashing you're looking at < 25% OS tops, just a guess.

Sell the books individually, you remove the flipper margin, you remove the lot discount, you'll see maybe 60-70% OS as a whole. Looking at as much as tripling the amount of cash you bring in. /shrug. I know what I'd do! But that might just be because i love going through books, checkin them out, grading them, sorting them, etc etc.

My numbers might be a little off, but the same principle remains.

Thanks for all the input. I decided I am just going to hang on to my collection for now. Didn't mean to disrespect or offend anyone, but I guess I have. I asked for opinions and I got them. Since some are starting with the insults and name calling I think that will do it for me in this thread. Thanks again.

Since some are starting with the insults and name calling I think that will do it for me in this thread. Thanks again.

Where are all the insults and name calling? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hold still... devil.gif

I don't know why he didn't want to sell his doubles. juggle.gif

Dont know. It seems like more than a few people would have bought several books from him. I guess he really thought that he had something of value and that everyone on here was lowballing him...Oh well, honestly he would probably do better on here than if he put the books on ebay..between paying fees to ebay and paypal and then spending your time scanning, listing, packing, and shipping...He already had a list..all he would need to do to sell them on here would be scan the books and come up with a price for it..then post the list on here...no problem..I would think that this board has some of the deepest pockets in the hobby constantly cruising around looking for deals and to fill some holes in their collections...My guess is that he never wanted to sell and was seeing what they were worth, but he says that he priced them out with OS so how knows...if probably would have been easier on him to post the collection on ebay with a super high reserve and then he would have seen what it was "worth"

Since some are starting with the insults and name calling I think that will do it for me in this thread. Thanks again.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif This reminds me of a recent forumite offering a new found collection and then pulling it off the market 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif This reminds me of a recent forumite offering a new found collection and then pulling it off the market 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Keep those want lists coming...... 27_laughing.gif

Ya know, I read this thread and just realized that there is A LOT of "old, bitter" people on here.

I feel that the message you're trying to get through is a good one, but does it really need to be said with such veracity and bitterness? Some people really do need to take a chill pill and not harp on a NEWBIE.