• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much is my collection worth? *DELETED*

60 posts in this topic

Oh man, now SpideySense has deleted the original message and thread.

Oh well, he's probably safely off to bed, warm bottle of milk in hand. 27_laughing.gif

Now you see right there? A retcon insult! (PS - got an HOS 92 and read it. Still arranging ST 1-10. But after reading HOS 92 my feelings are starting to sway away from "1st" - but caanot be sure within myself until I read 1-10 - or even just 1, probably).

I feel that the message you're trying to get through is a good one, but does it really need to be said with such veracity and bitterness? Some people really do need to take a chill pill and not harp on a NEWBIE.

I tend to agree. I genuinely try to be pleasant, humorous etc. Sometimes i get ticked off but usually at posts that display the above. There IS a lot of sarcasm on the boards, and I think lots of people have forgotten the days when they didn;t collect and didn't know Ogden Whitney from Rudy Palais!

I feel that the message you're trying to get through is a good one, but does it really need to be said with such veracity and bitterness? Some people really do need to take a chill pill and not harp on a NEWBIE.

I don't agree, as many people nicely answered his questions, but he kept coming back with comments that gave me the distinct feeling he was calling us "low ballers" and basically laughing at our estimates of resale value.

So I replied in kind, but rest assured this guy was given the benefit of the doubt initially.

Ya know, I read this thread and just realized that there is A LOT of "old, bitter" people on here.

Oh please. Here's my original post:

Since you asked nicely, a ballpark estimate of the collection at retail is around $35,000, give or take a few. Note that many of the books in your collection that Overstreet shows with value are essentially worthless. Banner's back of the envelope note is correct.

The value that a dealer would give you? Probably in the $5-8K range, if that. There's a lot of good stuff there as well, but nothing that jumps out and says BUY ME BUY ME. If you sold it all on eBay, you might get in the 35-40K range, but you'd be looking at a lot of work.

The guy came on here, and I gave him my somewhat educated opinion. If he lists the books with a initial price of $40,000 with a BIN of $48,000, he will simply be out his listing fee, as nobody will buy it. He Overstreeted his books and wants 80% of full Overstreet, which he simply isn't going to get. I'm sorry the new guy feels like he was slammed, but reality sucks.

I was not responding to initial posts, but something happened. It's like you guys had to prove you're right. I mean, give your helpful opinion, then move on ok? It's over. If he listed his books at $40,000, then no one buys and he would be out only $4.80. That's a pretty cheap lesson. You don't have to rub your knowledge in his face.

If people don't want to listen, it's up to them. I would say increasing the bitterness of your posts is no longer helping, but it's hurting the validity of your message(s).

yeah. I just read the whole thread (minus his initial post with th elist of books unfortunately...) ans I didnt see any name calling etc. A lot of hard nosed bad news for a newbie who thinks hers got a goldmine. But everyone spoke soberly and even offered to buy some books. Its a bitter pill for him to swallow, lets keep an eye out for his collection on ebay and see just how low the bids are.

...Unless good ol JGreen comes back along!!!

yeah. I just read the whole thread (minus his initial post with th elist of books unfortunately...) ans I didnt see any name calling etc. A lot of hard nosed bad news for a newbie who thinks hers got a goldmine. But everyone spoke soberly and even offered to buy some books. Its a bitter pill for him to swallow, lets keep an eye out for his collection on ebay and see just how low the bids are.

You and me reading the same thread?

Lets recap

X comes on with a small phonebook sized list of books,asking what they are worth.

I cut and paste them into a shopping cart at Chuckles house of bargins,give him the total it would cost to buy his books at retail,then give him a very optimistic wholesale value.

Others join in giving him a rough idea based on years of experiance.

He says we are wrong and he is going to list the books for an absurd BIN and reserve.

I tell him not to waste his time on a BIN,and that he should post some scans so he can get feedback on if they are graded properly.Others do the same,while offering real money for some individual books.He hints that we are lowballing him and claims he would buy collections if he could get them for what we claim his is worth. I offer him said collections. Somehow he gets offended and runs away. We get lectured for being mean old men.

Did I leave anything out?

Lets recap

X comes on with a small phonebook sized list of books,asking what they are worth.

I cut and paste them into a shopping cart at Chuckles house of bargins,give him the total it would cost to buy his books at retail,then give him a very optimistic wholesale value.

He says we are wrong and he is going to list the books for an absurd BIN and reserve.

I tell him not to waste his time on a BIN,and that he should post some scans so he can get feedback on if they are graded properly.Others do the same,while offering real money for some individual books.He hints that we are lowballing him and claims he would buy collections if he could get them for what we claim his is worth. I offer him said collections. Somehow he gets offended and runs away. We get lectured for being mean old men.

And then we had ice cream!!... smile.gif

Lets recap

and PIE!

Lets recap

and PIE!

don't forget the CAKE also.

Ya know, I read this thread and just realized that there is A LOT of "old, bitter" people on here.

The original poster seemed like a nice person, but I think he had illusions of grandeur(sp?) for his collection.

In this hobby of comic collecting there are 2 worlds, the fantasy world in which you think your collection is worth XXX amount, or the real world which will bring you back to reality in a heartbeat.

My take, he didnt like the real world.

Always amazing how someone can ask the board for their opinion on something and then not like it and get their panties in a bunch. If you're not sure if you will like the answer dont ask the freaking question

Anyone have the list and can repost it to the thread?

Always amazing how someone can ask the board for their opinion on something and then not like it and get their panties in a bunch. If you're not sure if you will like the answer dont ask the freaking question

It's all about validation.

I personally think his collection was amazing... and I would have told him, it's worth 1 MILLION DOLLARS! insane.gifinsane.gif

As Jack Handey would say -- Your collection is good enough, it's deep enough, and dog gone it, people like it!