• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC is really pushing the envelope posted by dlagewaa

97 posts in this topic

20 business days, 100 business days, 110 business days.

April 10 I submitted 11 books expecting to have them back 4-5 weeks later, which was the average turnaround advertised by CGC. Then I found out that the 'current turnaround' was 100 days. And today I see that it's now 110 business days. Another 5 weeks. At least, because I am certain that between noe and then that turnaround number will go up again.

What bugs me here is that if CGC who have obviously more work then they can handle, keeps advertising (e-mail earlier today) that people can submit books at conventions.

See more journals by dlagewaa

it is getting out of hand. I can't believe a company would not want to expand or help service their customers in a timely manner but they seem content to let the service keep taking longer and longer. They also charge you the instant they receive them (somethign they are never behind on) and then collect interest off your money the 4 months they have the order. They tell you sorry we are slowing down even more because we are accepting on site grading at such and such show so there is not enough people here doing grading. if thats the case stop accepting them at shows. I have had in books since 5/3 (now 8/8) and it looks as though its going to be another 3 weeks before i get them back, my 6/3 submission hasnt even made it to "scheduled" yet. I would actually send in more to them but i use the other guys for any moderns that are not of high value just so i can get them back in a reasonable time and have some inventory.

Yes, the luxury of being a Monopoly- since PGX isn't really a competitor at this point. What I don't understand is why a reputable company like CGC doesn't give any reasonable explanation. Except in essence..."we're just getting too much business". I submitted my membership coupon with 3 books with "24-hour turn around" and that took a couple weeks. It's not rocket science...hire more people, people! Like latony007, I also think it's a drag they charge you immediately upon verification. And my last rant: Why do they only offer registered mail? Waaaay expensive compared with insured priority mail/UPS/Fed Ex, etc. How about the option that "I'll take my chances and save fifty bucks". Sheesh...got us by the you know what. Phew...felt good to get that off my chest.

You know how when you use your debit or credit card and get charged immediately for something, but then when you return something it takes 3-5 business days...

or... how if you buy a disc (movie, music, game, etc..) at Best Buy, if you open it, you can't return it.... (unless it's for the exact item)....

or... you want to buy a chicken sandwich, but don't because the President of the organization had to open his mouth and push his ideals on his customer base.....

or... you send in some comics to get graded, but the turnaround time is 5x as long as it should be because the company won't just hire enough people to do the work....

Well, #1) I try to never buy anything I'll have to return. #2) Won't buy a disc unless i can try it out somewhere first. #3) Get my chicken at Popeye's & #4) go to PGX instead... (Just kidding... on that last one! Only 40 some days left!)

Woot Woot!

The problem is simple: there is no effective competition and so there is de facto monopoly. Until PGX invests in itself (especially to make its holders/labeling more attractive) or a new entrant comes into the grading market, there is nothing to do but moan and groan.

As the hobby continues to grow with the success of hero movies, CGC will continue to get bombarded with business, and the wait times will worsen.

If it was a bit cheaper and the turnaround times were as advertised I would submit more books actually. This is keeping me from submitting books.

I just submitted two more because they should be slabbed but I would probably have included another 10 if CGC could expedite the process a bit more.

I suppose I should be devil's advocate and say there express service is on time so if you don't want to wait, pay the express. That's what I do. Let's face it, getting stuff graded is a luxury in the hobby now.

I also would propose CGC probably never envisioned the amount of worthless books that get sent to them hoping to score gems. They also admit on their census that usually only high value or key books get graded. Let's blame the bulk 9.8ers...

Yes you might be a dealer who wants a large volume of stuff graded but maybe it's time to start dealing in raw stuff. There still is a market for that with high res scanners to let people determine for themselves.

Just want to throw my 2c in to the pile.

I don't own a single CGC book, and it's not that I am opposed to the service, but it's just that I dont want to send a book away for 1/3 of a year. I know it might sound strange, but that amount of time is a hell of a long time. If something goes wrong, most people (banks/credit cards) won't even listen to you because it has been so long. Not that I am saying that CGC would screw me over, just if something unfortunate did happen.

I wouldn't mind having CGC'ed books, in fact I have books in my want list I might even prefer slabbed, but it just hasn't happened yet lol

I suppose I should be devil's advocate and say there express service is on time so if you don't want to wait, pay the express. That's what I do. Let's face it, getting stuff graded is a luxury in the hobby now.

I also would propose CGC probably never envisioned the amount of worthless books that get sent to them hoping to score gems. They also admit on their census that usually only high value or key books get graded. Let's blame the bulk 9.8ers...

Yes you might be a dealer who wants a large volume of stuff graded but maybe it's time to start dealing in raw stuff. There still is a market for that with high res scanners to let people determine for themselves.

agree completely, they are flooded with drek

(thumbs u

I agree the monopoly is never good for anything and more options for the public are needed, certainly seems there is enough business for it. PGX does need to invest in itself but not in their holders, their holders are great. i dont think their labels are quite as nice but certainly not a reason to use or not use them. In fact the another nice thing about PGX is they actually seal the label in the inner holder and CGC does not. What they need to invest in is Online tracking, a census, more presence at shows etc. I use them for a lot of lower value books or older books where i can't afford to drop the 35 or 40 that CGC wants for anything pre 1980. CGC does a great job and like i said would send them more but the 4-5 months of delay & using my money to make interest restricts the amount i can send them. Id like to think as someone else said that eventually they will catch on and hire more people but it seems as though its actually getting slower over the last year. and for whoever was complaining about the CGC ridiculous shipping charges you can use your own UPS account, i went and signed up for one as joe blow with no business and it saves me a boat load over the CGC charges.

What they need to invest in is Online tracking, a census, more presence at shows

ummmm..they have all of those in spades

+1

I also agree 100% that the main problem is the HUGE numbers of modern and sketch books that they never in a million years envisioned would come pouring in 10 years ago. I would bet when they opened their doors, they though 90% of their business would be fairly high dollar GA and SA books with a sprinkling of moderns thrown in. From what I see in the "This week back from CGC" thread, it seems to be the opposite. I don't think they ever dreamed they would have so many modern books pouring in.

Blank sketch covers submissions have been a death knell for CGC turnaround times and was something IMO they never were and still aren't prepared for :gossip:

I also agree 100% that the main problem is the HUGE numbers of modern and sketch books that they never in a million years envisioned would come pouring in 10 years ago.

So you would call them the victim of their own success. They created the market so you really shouldn't just blame Modern "drek" subs. They started the signature series and a market for those books and they take submissions at shows. It is up to them to hire more graders to make a dent in the backlog.

The fact of the matter is they make boatloads of money regardless of it being modern or Pre 1980. That money sometimes needs to be reinvested into new employees. There is thousands of people they could work with on these boards that are passionate about comics and would love to have this dream job.

its going to be an infrastructure problem as well, its not just 'graders'

people have to receive, log, encase and ship books - thats extra

I believe there are "special machines??" or something that they need to encapsulate

The restoration check needs someone very good to do that.

I think a ramp up is more than just graders, and you always have to watch quality, they know they get ripped all the time by a hypervigilant bunch of nerds, so maintaining quality is key to their business.

When I submit books and actually pay them some reasonable money for the service I get the books back in a very timely manner.

All the sketch covers should get a qualified label and score no higher than a 7.0 due to the drawing on it that was not present originally :baiting: