• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC is really pushing the envelope posted by dlagewaa

97 posts in this topic

or... you want to buy a chicken sandwich, but don't because the President of the organization had to open his mouth and push his ideals on his customer base.....

#3) Get my chicken at Popeye's

I wonder if they made you sign a contract stating that you will uphold traditional marriage if you want to eat the sandwich. If not...I don't think he pushed anything on anyone, and was just stating what he has a right to believe in.

getting back on the subject.

Has anyone consider that those that are submitting their books fast track now are skipping the line and pushing the dates back? I believe fast track fee should be overtime payment for graders and everyone involved in the cgc process. just a thought.

that is what fast track has done since the start. The entire system is broken. I made this analogy all the time. Anywhere else, if you are standing in line for anything, if the guy behind you shouted "hey cashier, I will give you more money now if you hand me that merchandize now", the entire line will have an uproar. It is not the submitters' fault but it is the designer/architect of this entire tier system is to be question.

At least they hired two more people. Although I dont see how two more people can really make a huge impact on catching up but at least its a step in the right direction.

Definitely agree with the NG for sketch covers. It would free up a huge amount of time so they can move onto actual grading.

How about some quality control too. Instead of wasting time redoing labels why not get it right the first time, or at least catch it before it leaves HQ.

2c

that is what fast track has done since the start. The entire system is broken. I made this analogy all the time. Anywhere else, if you are standing in line for anything, if the guy behind you shouted "hey cashier, I will give you more money now if you hand me that merchandize now", the entire line will have an uproar. It is not the submitters' fault but it is the designer/architect of this entire tier system is to be question.

For those that don't know. . . that actually happens at some theme parks. For example, Six Flags offers the Flash Pass (I'll use FP) for $90. You end up standing in a "virtual" line of limited spots, at the same time riding other rides, and then ride the one you want a few hours later (at a set Return Time) without waiting in the actual line. As the spots fill up, the wait time for the virtual line gets longer and longer until they run out (closing time being the cut-off), so it is capped daily. Disney has the same thing (Fast Pass), and some of them run out within two hours of the park opening. If you play it right, at worst, you're doubling your ride count because you wait in one other line equal to the ride you have on reserve. If you're smart, you can triple your ride count or better.

The beauty of the system, is that while it allows those willing to pay the premium to "skip the line" essentially, it also tells them EXACTLY when they can ride, and the caps set on how many they allow to do that means that there are always still a significant portion of non-FP users getting to ride each time. It minimizes negative impacts to those waiting in line, while simultaneously taking advantage of the fact that someone will always be willing to pay to skip a line.

Even if the FP system is maxed, it affects only how fast those set reservations fill up for the person paying extra. If people with FP still want to ride after the spots are filled, it shuffles them into that line (which is where they would be without the FP system) and out of other lines. Of course, fewer people utilizing the Flash Pass system (which doesn't negatively impact those willing to wait in line) and higher turnout of non-Flash Pass users (not the fault of the Flash Pass system) will affect wait times, but those are either good or neutral factors of the FP system.

Does CGC cap the number of Fast Track (FT) books it accepts? If not, then there are constantly new books entering the system ahead of the non-FT books, stopping the non-FT line in high volume times, whereas capping the accepted number of FT limits the volume moving ahead of the non-FT, and keeps the non-FT line moving. There are ways to offset the loss of Fast Track revenue, including an increase in price for the new FT system due to limited availability, and getting a higher volume due to improved turn-around times. At a certain volume, of course, one would have to add staff. All of this is a lot of math, and without knowing their specific volumes and other variables (like how the changes affect rate of consumption), it's impossible for me to know if it would actually be financially feasible.

Does any of that make sense? It made my brain hurt to type.

For those that don't know. . . that actually happens at some theme parks. For example, Six Flags offers the Flash Pass (I'll use FP) for $90. You end up standing in a "virtual" line of limited spots, at the same time riding other rides, and then ride the one you want a few hours later (at a set Return Time) without waiting in the actual line. As the spots fill up, the wait time for the virtual line gets longer and longer until they run out (closing time being the cut-off), so it is capped daily. Disney has the same thing (Fast Pass), and some of them run out within two hours of the park opening. If you play it right, at worst, you're doubling your ride count because you wait in one other line equal to the ride you have on reserve. If you're smart, you can triple your ride count or better.

The beauty of the system, is that while it allows those willing to pay the premium to "skip the line" essentially, it also tells them EXACTLY when they can ride, and the caps set on how many they allow to do that means that there are always still a significant portion of non-FP users getting to ride each time. It minimizes negative impacts to those waiting in line, while simultaneously taking advantage of the fact that someone will always be willing to pay to skip a line.

Even if the FP system is maxed, it affects only how fast those set reservations fill up for the person paying extra. If people with FP still want to ride after the spots are filled, it shuffles them into that line (which is where they would be without the FP system) and out of other lines. Of course, fewer people utilizing the Flash Pass system (which doesn't negatively impact those willing to wait in line) and higher turnout of non-Flash Pass users (not the fault of the Flash Pass system) will affect wait times, but those are either good or neutral factors of the FP system.

Does CGC cap the number of Fast Track (FT) books it accepts? If not, then there are constantly new books entering the system ahead of the non-FT books, stopping the non-FT line in high volume times, whereas capping the accepted number of FT limits the volume moving ahead of the non-FT, and keeps the non-FT line moving. There are ways to offset the loss of Fast Track revenue, including an increase in price for the new FT system due to limited availability, and getting a higher volume due to improved turn-around times. At a certain volume, of course, one would have to add staff. All of this is a lot of math, and without knowing their specific volumes and other variables (like how the changes affect rate of consumption), it's impossible for me to know if it would actually be financially feasible.

Does any of that make sense? It made my brain hurt to type.

I don't think they cap it. That means turning away money. What business does that?

At least they hired two more people. Although I dont see how two more people can really make a huge impact on catching up but at least its a step in the right direction.

If they had only 2 graders, then this shoudl at least cut their time in half. :)

This company is making a freaking KILLING in profits. It is called hire more people? Simple. Business increases, hire and train, period. Common business sense.

Why hire more people? That makes too much sense! hm All they care about is maximizing profits. :frustrated:

Overworking the current employees to death will not only cause delays, but potentially shoddy haphazard grading. doh!

CGC is now forcing collectors to pay for the "rush" service if they want their books back in a reasonable amount of time! :censored:

It's a privately held company, so who are you going to complain to?

Greed is not so good for us, but it is for the owners of CGC! :censored:

Z-GordonGeccoGreedisGood.jpg

As for now, I'm not sending them any books - and that's a loss on their end. How many other people don't send in books because of an embarrassing turnaround time?

Phillip, I was just going to send CGC some high grade key Bronze Age Marvels, and then I saw this thread today.

So I guess you can count me as one of the people who won't send their books in until they clean up their act! :censored:

I look at it that there is no incentive for CGC to improve the turn around times on their regular service. The longer turn around times push more people to use their express service; which in turn; means that CGC makes more money on each book that they grade.

So why would they want to improve their turn around times and loose the extra revenue that they make on people using their express service? As long as express service is offered and cost a premium to use; I just don't see turn around times improving much any time in the near future.

Psy

BINGO! We have a winner! an_cheers.gif

I don't think they cap it. That means turning away money. What business does that?

Do you mean CGC doesn't cap? That makes sense.

I know the theme parks do. They have to, and it's the only way to make it work.

What would happen if the fast track service was behind? Would CGC be in legal trouble?

No. In fact, I think the actual FT language just says something like "half the normal turn-around time of the tier" or something to that effect (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I am too lazy to look it up). If this is the case, with turn aound times being what they are now, half of that doesn't sound too great for the extra $.

What would happen if the fast track service was behind? Would CGC be in legal trouble?

No. In fact, I think the actual FT language just says something like "half the normal turn-around time of the tier" or something to that effect (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I am too lazy to look it up). If this is the case, with turn aound times being what they are now, half of that doesn't sound too great for the extra $.

Actually, the language is very ambiguous at best from the actual Services & Fees Chart on the CGC website for comic books! Note the chart below is effective today, 8-26-2012.

Z-Eyeball2a.jpg

"Please remember that the turnaround times are estimates only and CGC

does not guarantee them!"

In other words, CGC is not bound by any time constraint! angry.jpg

Z-CGCSubmissions-a.jpg

or... you want to buy a chicken sandwich, but don't because the President of the organization had to open his mouth and push his ideals on his customer base.....

I wonder if they made you sign a contract stating that you will uphold traditional marriage if you want to eat the sandwich. If not...I don't think he pushed anything on anyone, and was just stating what he has a right to believe in.

Has anyone consider that those that are submitting their books fast track now are skipping the line and pushing the dates back? I believe fast track fee should be overtime payment for graders and everyone involved in the cgc process. just a thought.

I don't have a problem with it. At Great America ( amusement park ) they have a fast pass that costs more money and gets you to the head of the line for rides in front of everyone else...no big uproar there (shrug)

I don't have a problem with it. At Great America ( amusement park ) they have a fast pass that costs more money and gets you to the head of the line for rides in front of everyone else...no big uproar there (shrug)

So.... do people who have an ordinary pass have to line up for 6 months and folks with a fast pass only wait in line a couple of weeks?

No offense but it isn't really an accurate comparison. At least you know you'll get to the front of the line sometime that day. We're talking about waiting many MONTHS at CGC. That's why there are complaints.

So.... do people who have an ordinary pass have to line up for 6 months and folks with a fast pass only wait in line a couple of weeks?

No offense but it isn't really an accurate comparison. At least you know you'll get to the front of the line sometime that day. We're talking about waiting many MONTHS at CGC. That's why there are complaints.

I still don't have a problem with it as anyone is allowed to play the game. If they made fast track a VIP or "members only" type service I could see an uproar. You get what you pay for (shrug)

Actually, the language is very ambiguous at best from the actual Services & Fees Chart on the CGC website for comic books! Note the chart below is effective today, 8-26-2012.

"Please remember that the turnaround times are estimates only and CGC does not guarantee them!"

That statement has been on that page since the the page was created :shrug:

"Please remember that the turnaround times are estimates only and CGC does not guarantee them!"

That statement has been on that page since the the page was created :shrug:

Precisely why I think all this complaining will accomplish NOTHING!

CGC can hold the comic books as long as they want with no repercussions whatsoever. They are a de facto monopoly and can do what they want with impunity. Sad but true.