• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC is really pushing the envelope posted by dlagewaa

97 posts in this topic

but I will say that if I was seeing such stuff in my own business I would adapt to accomodate it and reduce the complaining.

There is a huge demand for medical services, you can in fact treat people badly (I see docs doing it all the time) and they will still come cause they are desperate to see someone.

I think one key to good pratice is caring deeply about customer satisfaction even when you dont have to.

Thanks for the link - it's good to see a little info from someone on the CGC team. Sounds like they are completely aware of the situation and doing their best to accomodate. Sounds like it will also take so time... Maybe they should consider going on Shark Tank and seeing if Mark Cuban would wanna put some researches into the company?!?!?!

What about the fact that there are more people getting into the hobby? The other big one could be that there are SO MANY COVERS per issue these days. Quick example of AVENGERS VS X-MEN. There are at least 7 covers per issue, twice a month! Believe me it is costing me a small fortune...but it's fun! I also use the fast track submissions, so I'm putting all of my books ahead of most of yours. I to didn't like waiting 3 or 4 months for my books. But like others have said, CGC has a monopoly. You don't have to play if you don't want to...and thats my two cents.

I too am waiting on nine SS comics I sent in April. Comics from the late 60's to the early and mid 70's.

Maybe CGC should set some standard for grading comics like, comics graded shall be a minimum of 20 years old.

I think today there are too many collectors that are sending in new comics, just to hopefully recieve a high grade, that coveted 10.0 or 9.9.

What will happen 30/40 years from now, when there is an over-abundance of high graded comics? I think the value of those books will be less than what it cost to mail them and have them graded.

Tony

I too am waiting on nine SS comics I sent in April. Comics from the late 60's to the early and mid 70's.

Maybe CGC should set some standard for grading comics like, comics graded shall be a minimum of 20 years old.

I think today there are too many collectors that are sending in new comics, just to hopefully recieve a high grade, that coveted 10.0 or 9.9.

What will happen 30/40 years from now, when there is an over-abundance of high graded comics? I think the value of those books will be less than what it cost to mail them and have them graded.

Tony

Now that would be terrible - a huge community of collectors exist on these boards that focus solely on Modern books. It's not a negative thing.

Tony

Now that would be terrible - a huge community of collectors exist on these boards that focus solely on Modern books. It's not a negative thing.

+1 Modern collectors have as much right as anyone else to collect and grade what they want and expect the same service from CGC.

Tony

+1 Modern collectors have as much right as anyone else to collect and grade what they want and expect the same service from CGC.

.. and + another 1 for that statement. I doubt very much I'll be sending any Silver Age stuff to get slabbed .. (it's not always about investment, y'know). I like to slab my Moderns for a variety of reasons, but getting a high-return in the future isn't one of them.

I say sketch covers get a NG, it would simmer down some of the high values people are paying for the grade and not the artists work, when it should be the other way around and it would speed up the turnaround time of other books.

I am a sketch collector and I agree that they should absolutely receive a NG. I always buy the art and not the grade yet 9.8s will see a premium return over lesser grades even if the sketch itself is of lesser quality. That's stupid. It's also arbitrary that if I scribbled all over a cover the comic would get either dinged way down to like a 5.0 or get a restored label for color touch. Yet when an artist scribbles all over a cover that effectively gets ignored in the grade.

Tony

+2

Not everyone collects the same thing, and if you are willing to pay for the service you should get your books graded. As for the value of those books, you don't need to wait 30 or 40 years as many Copper & Modern books barely break even in 9.8 now, and if you get a 9.6 you definitely lose money (even on many Bronze books) so having a 20 year cutoff wouldn't fix everything.

Personally I think CGC would solve all their problems if they had two locations.One on the East coast as they have in Florida,and one on the West coast. 2c

Now that's a great idea! Since there is only an East Coast location now, does this mean all the qualified West Coast graders moved out there to work for CGC, or are those graders still here and just waiting for CGC West to open? I'm sure it couldn't be that CGC believes there are no qualified graders on the West Coast because that would just be insulting. I wonder how you would decide where to send your books, like if a bias was created favoring the grading tendencies of one location over another? That could be a problem, unless all books were sent to one location and distributed randomly between the two.

sig.jpg

Personally I think CGC would solve all their problems if they had two locations.One on the East coast as they have in Florida,and one on the West coast. 2c

Now that's a great idea! Since there is only an East Coast location now, does this mean all the qualified West Coast graders moved out there to work for CGC, or are those graders still here and just waiting for CGC West to open? I'm sure it couldn't be that CGC believes there are no qualified graders on the West Coast because that would just be insulting. I wonder how you would decide where to send your books, like if a bias was created favoring the grading tendencies of one location over another? That could be a problem, unless all books were sent to one location and distributed randomly between the two.

sig.jpg

You would send your books to the office that would be closer to you.This would speed up turn around time by the ability to grade twice as much as before.I think it would also create some kind of confidence to the submitter as well.Example I always wanted to send in my AF 15 to get graded,but I am afraid to mail my book three thousand miles away.If I could walk it in to a location I would feel more comfortable in getting my books graded.

but I will say that if I was seeing such stuff in my own business I would adapt to accomodate it and reduce the complaining.

There is a huge demand for medical services, you can in fact treat people badly (I see docs doing it all the time) and they will still come cause they are desperate to see someone.

I think one key to good pratice is caring deeply about customer satisfaction even when you dont have to.

Well said Joe. It would bee nice to see some pro-active changes, rather than re-active patches.

CGC is trying, let's see what the next 6 months hold.

20 business days, 100 business days, 110 business days.

April 10 I submitted 11 books expecting to have them back 4-5 weeks later, which was the average turnaround advertised by CGC. Then I found out that the 'current turnaround' was 100 days. And today I see that it's now 110 business days. Another 5 weeks. At least, because I am certain that between noe and then that turnaround number will go up again.

What bugs me here is that if CGC who have obviously more work then they can handle, keeps advertising (e-mail earlier today) that people can submit books at conventions.

See more journals by dlagewaa

Economy books weren't on time back in April, so why would you have expected them back in 4-5 weeks? The turnaround time was at least 85 business days at that point ... :shrug:

As far as other competitors out there, am I correct in believing that more people do not use PGX because those comics will not sell for as much? Like people pay for not just a professional grade, but the CGC professional grade.

I see a lot of CGC comics, but not many PGX comics. Makes me think CGC is either more reputable, has better or more accurate graders, or a combo of those 2 things. Is that right? If not, why don't many people who don't like the wait times go to PGX? It looks to be cheaper and faster. I don't have a slabbed comic, but one poster in here said a PGX one was encapsulated better as well.

I ask because I am curious as well as I want to get certain comics slabbed that I can later sell and I wanna know if I would make less money if it was a PGX comic instead of a CGC one.