• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subscription Crease

16 posts in this topic

Overstreet grading guide sez highest 3.0 G/VG for book-length creases.

CGC defines the crease as "Subscription Crease. A large crease down the center of a comic book caused by the folding of a comic for mailing. Considered a defect."

I can't find an example of a CGC book with a near book length crease that was over a 3.5.

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread or can add any further info/examples. I just picked up a copy of Tec 359 (Tongie Farms). There was a pretty wicked sub crease, almost as if it was folded in half and put in someone's back pocket and maybe it was. The color break is definitely there, but not pronounced and doesn't run the entire length of the book. Otherwise it's in pretty nice shape. I'm in the process of having it pressed. So Im going to roll the dice and maybe I can score a 5.5 or above and break the curse.

Overstreet grading guide sez highest 3.0 G/VG for book-length creases.

CGC defines the crease as "Subscription Crease. A large crease down the center of a comic book caused by the folding of a comic for mailing. Considered a defect."

I can't find an example of a CGC book with a near book length crease that was over a 3.5.

I bought an Amazing Spider-Man 39 in 5.0 CGC SS two years ago on the board with a wicked full-length sub-crease. I don't own it anymore, nor do I have the scan, so all I can contribute is my opinion. (shrug)

I just picked up a copy of Tec 359 (Tongie Farms). There was a pretty wicked sub crease, almost as if it was folded in half and put in someone's back pocket and maybe it was.

Well, that's what sub creases are, as comic subscriptions used to be mailed folded completely in half.

One of our fellow boardies recently posted his photo of some comics he has still in their original subscription envelopes.

70878972.jpg

:P

I want those! :o

That's pretty cool, thanks for reposting that. I'm curious to see what a press is going to do to my book. Obviously nothing to the color break, but hopefully it will neutralize the bend and it'll lay flat.

It should lay flat after a press. If you hold the book in hand though, you will still often feel it sort of "sag" down the middle where the subs crease was at. Will look better after a press though. Like the others that have posted here, I've not seen a subs crease (that broke color) better than 5.0 - but that doesn't mean it has not happened

Just scored BIG. Landed a beautiful comic - would easily grade at 9.0, but it has a light subscription crease. The good people of CGC graded and slabbed it at 5.0! I got it for a mere pittance. Snow white pages. Sharp corners. A beauty. 

1 hour ago, rocny71 said:

Just scored BIG. Landed a beautiful comic - would easily grade at 9.0, but it has a light subscription crease. The good people of CGC graded and slabbed it at 5.0! I got it for a mere pittance. Snow white pages. Sharp corners. A beauty. 

Cool. Let's see a pic or it doesn't exist !

On 1/29/2018 at 4:34 PM, rocny71 said:

Raw sub crease copies with strong spines and white pages=best bang for the buck in the hobby.  

It's gotten to the point that books fitting that profile are all that I buy, with very few exceptions.