• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern size bags and boards too small?

20 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

So about a year ago I re-bagged my modern comics into silver age bags. The modern size bag/board combo, although obviously made for modern sized comics, seems to be to be a bit of a tight fit.

Does anyone else used silver age bags or am I the only one? I make sure to tape them up tight enough so the comic is not sliding around in the bag - so there's no problem there. But I just want to make sure that this practice isn't "frowned" upon for some obscure reason.

Thanks!

So I'm not the only one! Good to know.

Now on to the second question. I HATE Ultra Pro comic bag material. It's awful. My lcs carries silver age long flap bags that are made out of a thicker plastic, and give much more support. However, they come in sealed clear bags in packs of 100 with no markings on the bag, so I don't know what company they come from. I'm also moving soon, and I know the comic stores in the area only have the Ultra Pro bags. Anyone have any suggestions as to bags they use and an online place to get them?

Great Topic and one i wanted to make myself, just never got around to it.

since i am starting fresh, ive yet to purchase bags and boards and want to do it correctly from the get-go

i am thinking about eGerber "standard" bags and half backs. this thread has me thinking about using their "silver" age bags though. so if someone could inform me, i'd appreciate it

i am going to be using the bags/boards for storing comics issued this year and going forward. While im not interested in the "cheapest, most affordable" method, presentation is very important, so the +/- 30 cents a book is not going to bother me

Great Topic and one i wanted to make myself, just never got around to it.

since i am starting fresh, ive yet to purchase bags and boards and want to do it correctly from the get-go

i am thinking about eGerber "standard" bags and half backs. this thread has me thinking about using their "silver" age bags though. so if someone could inform me, i'd appreciate it

i am going to be using the bags/boards for storing comics issued this year and going forward. While im not interested in the "cheapest, most affordable" method, presentation is very important, so the +/- 30 cents a book is not going to bother me

I highly recommend the full backs. I probably bought 3000 half-backs before deciding they were just too flimsy. I'm slowly replacing them. The mylites are too thin as well. Sometimes tear, very sticky. Get mylites+ or mylites2.

I prefer silver age bags and I like the mylars but only for more expensive books (or books that I assume will be $25 or more in the near future) and then I use at least two back boards in each bag sometimes up to four depending on the size of the comic. I also prefer the self adhesive bags but you have to have reasonably large hands so you can hold down both sides of the bag (one end with your pinky and the other end with your thumb) so that you don't accidentally screw up the book when you open it up. What I do is put one board in the bag at first and then add boards until I get the proper thickness. There's been other discussions of the half back v. full back debate elsewhere on the boards I'm certain of it b/c I read what I remember to have been tens of pages of discussion of the topic earleir this month. The other thing that is nice about the mylites is that you put the bagged and boarded comic in it and I also like the hard plastic cases but you need a thick back board for that too and I put the bagged and boarded comic in the plastic cases before I insert a half or full back (again depends on size, among other things). At the end of the day all of these devices are really just to store books before you ship them to CGC (at least it is for me) as the CGC cases are far superior to any other storage method and they memorialize the condition of the book and you can't beat that. What ever you decide to use, I would remember to try and be flexible because for me different books require different treatment and I think the more things you try the more variety you'll use. JMHO

I use Mylite2 moden size with a half back. If it's a book of any value I then double bag it into a 4 mil standard size Mylar archive (The open topped type).

Gives the book a lot of support and also looks quite good.

Not the cheapest way to Store a modern. Then again it's a fraction of the cost of slabbing.

Silver age for me as well. Moderns are worthless to buy because if you get into buying older stuff, you'll have to get bigger bags. Then you have different size bags/boards in your boxes. Plus, they are backwards compatible with smaller sized modern books, and can fit thicker moderns that the currents can't.

on the general board there was a great post by mschmidt visually showing the different sized bags/boards. someone else directed me to it recently and its a nice post to check out if you are wanting some ideas/see how things look

unsure how to link directly to a thread but:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5894317&fpart=1

or if you search for it its titled:

Visual guide to Mylar sizes

I had decided to make the jump into mylar recently and picked up a pack of silver/golden age mylite2s and halfbacks to go with them... I should have measured my existing silver age poly bags beforehand as I already felt they were a bit bigger than I'd like and these feel massive in comparison.. will definitely be switching to standard on the mylite2s other than that - quite nice! and I'll use these silver/goldens to provide a second bag/board for some of the nicer stuff

Hi guys,

So about a year ago I re-bagged my modern comics into silver age bags. The modern size bag/board combo, although obviously made for modern sized comics, seems to be to be a bit of a tight fit.

Does anyone else used silver age bags or am I the only one? I make sure to tape them up tight enough so the comic is not sliding around in the bag - so there's no problem there. But I just want to make sure that this practice isn't "frowned" upon for some obscure reason.

Thanks!

I also use Silver Age bags and boards for moderns. The modern boards are not big enough to protect the comic. To me, the board needs to be bigger than the comic to provide protection for the corners. The Silver Age bags and boards fit into the boxes more securely as well, preventing side to side shifting. If Golden Age bags and boards were cheaper, I'm pretty sure I would be using them instead of Silver Age bags and boards, because they would provide even more corner protection. Unfortunately, they cost more and don't fit into the boxes I use.

I'm frowning, but only because I've always done this (I've been collecting for over 30 years) and never thought this was an odd practice.