• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Was the First Appearance of Spider-Man's Black Costume?
1 1

71 posts in this topic

I was looking at the label of a Marvel Team-Up #141, and it says that the issue is tied with Amazing Spider-Man #252 as the first appearance of the black costume. From what I remember, Amazing Spider-Man #252 was released first, with Marvel Team-Up #141 being released later the same month. As such, both comics show a 5/84 publication date, which may be why CGC considers it to be a tie, but were not released at the same time.

Does anyone remember it differently?

Secret Wars #8 is also commonly referred to as the first black costume.

But I have seen the same thing on ASM 252.

I use to say it was ASM 252 because I use to own that book, but since selling it, i'm pretty sure the first Black costume is Secret Wars #8.

Actually I remember Secret Wars #8 being the first time the Symbiote was introduced,then ASM #252

Chronologically it was ASM 252.

Continuity it would be SW8

ASM #252 was first. Then you had to wait till Secret Wars #8 to find out how it happened.

Dan

Thats why I said Chronologically and continuity

These memories are as fresh as if it happened yesterday.

When Secret Wars came out, all the heroes of Earth disappeared to the Beyonder planet. This "disappearance" was reflected in each book by them being absent only a single issue. When Spidey came back, he was in the black costume - but he hadn't gotten it yet in Secret Wars.

This "disappearance" (a few weeks in Marvel time), played out over a whole year in the SW mini-series (12 issues). He did not get the black costume until issue 8, which came out like 6 or 7 months after ASM 252. Secret Wars 8 is not the first appearance of anything.

I do not however know whether MTU 141 hit the stands the same day as ASM 252. I think I read somewhere it did, but I find mistakes in online sources all the time about this stuff.

Actually I remember Secret Wars #8 being the first time the Symbiote was introduced,then ASM #252

ASM #252 was first. Then you had to wait till Secret Wars #8 to find out how it happened.

Dan

^^

Dan

^^

Marvel Age #12 was technically the first appearance of the black suit:

link

Granted, it just showed sketches of what the new suit might look like, it was published in March of '84.

Dan

Thats why I said Chronologically and continuity

I know. I was just describing what it was like as a kid to find out Spidey had a new suit and to not know how or why.

Dan

Amazing Spider-man 252 always gets the nods from the collectors even if it is tied with Marvel Team Up 141

Edited by Buzzetta