• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do I collect?

5 posts in this topic

Time, money, and space... but what do I gain?

I been cleaning for the past few hours. I should be asleep but I have to get certain things done, like laundry. On this dreary Tuesday, the rain outside stops and starts. It is more a torrential down pour than anything else. I sit and listen as the rain pounds against my window when I have the sudden urge to eat and there is nothing edible in the house. It is one of the pitfalls of working at a diner.

The one thing I did get to accomplish more than anything else was I got to hang some of my artwork including one of my favorite pieces. I still have a few more things to hang up along with my original pages from New Mutants #15. I even recently placed some items on e-Bay in hopes I can generate some money for the comic con in Baltimore I decided to go to. I am also trying to save money as well.

I want to thank Ronnylama as well for his journal. It was much appreciated. I have made friends here and for that I am grateful. Throughout the years of collecting I always wondered why am I buying these things? Why do I go to the store every Wednesday to buy more and my most horrid question is what do I get rid off to keep more of these four color books.

I have talked about CGC on these journals more times than I have not but I also get personal. My stories have evolved into articles while my articles have devolved into gibberish. SO what am I getting at...I have no idea but I think, just maybe the seafood place that happens to be in walking distance seems like a good idea...rain or no rain.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

Ps. Is anyone going to the Baltimore Comic Con?

11916.JPG

See more journals by Tnerb

Apparently my eyes were crooked.The two Star Wars lithographs are not only signed by Michael David Ward but also various actors. The center piece is also signed by David Prowse. The piece on the left I purchased way back in 93 but had only just recently had it framed. The Chewbacca piece, the one I mentioned as one of my favorites I got by cleaning out the vacuums at a self serve car wash for eight months. The upper right is simply gorgeous.

Thank you again.

Hi Tnerb,

I love the artwork aspect of collecting. Maybe a little more so than collecting books. Although, the addiction of high grade keys has bitten me a little. lol. It is hard to sell when the collector part of me wants to hold on to the best stuff. Anyway, I am going to Baltimore and New York, and I also went to Philly. Like I was saying I go mostly for the SS CGC books, which I in turn sell, but I love to meet the creators and get some artwork when I am there. When I first really started getting into cons in about 2001 most creators were doing sketches for free and original pages were not that much. Flash forward to now and the prices for the art has just skyrocketed. You can’t get a head sketch from somebody famous for less than 100.00. That being said, at Philly, I lucked out. Mark Texiera drew me a Wolverine sketch on original Marvel paper from the late 80's for only 20.00. He kept on saying " I can't draw you that nice of a picture for only 20.00" but the artist in him kept going. So thanks to him my son has an awesome picture to hang on his wall.

I do get slightly addicted and always seem to find the money I need to go and purchase something else. I hope that Baltimore doesn't set me back because I still wish to get to NYCC this year as well, even if I have to commute. I also started to think that since San Diego is so difficult to get to I might try out Chicago next year.

bigblaster, I am glad to hear your son has a great piece of artwork from tan artist. It is always cool when I celebrity of any stature goes out of their way for a fans kid.