• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Schomburg Covers
2 2

184 posts in this topic

Hello GA aficionados.

This is my first post of hopefully many. Spider-man was my gateway drug into comic book collecting. I still have much love for the web-slinger, but my tastes have changed (matured?) in recent years. Now, I just can't get enough of the golden classics. The covers are amazing, especially those graced by Alex Schomburg's art...which brings me to my question. Besides Suspense Comics #3, what do you think are his next best covers?

Thanks much.

I've always thought USA 6-7 were not true Schomburg covers...at least Caps body and face don't match up to what I say is is typical schomburg Cap ( USA 8,10, Cap 28 etc). This was discussed in a thread many moons ago, but schomburg was drawing so many covers at the time perhaps he did the background layouts on the 7 (the planes look schomburg --look at USA 8 and All Selects 1-2) but not the Cap/Bucky figures. The 6-7 are signed Schomburg but it looks more like a Syd Shores cover to me (check Caps 20-25,30,32). Even the inside of Caps shield on USA 7 doesn't look Schomburg like (All Select 1).

That said, Schomburg was the best WWII cover artist. Suspense 3 might be in top 5 Schomburg covers but my favorites have always been All Selects 1-2, USA 8/10, and Cap 33.

Edited by Primetime

All-Select #2 is a monster.

All-Select #1 is a monster eater! :slapfight:

Love them both! I've said this a lot on these boards that the Cap pose on the 1 is superior to his 2 pose. I like the big gun barrel with the rounds feeding in on the 2! Nonetheless, both cool parachute covers. :)

All Select #1 and #2 are fantastic. I think I prefer #2 over #1. For the last year or so i've started to become a little less enchanted by the Schomburg art most of are familiar with like the WWII covers on Timelys and Nedors.

The later Xela and airbrush stuff is certainly great, but has never appealed to me as much. I'd love to see Startling #49 in the same style as Suspense #3.

Lately I'm more attracted to his early stuff. Marvel Mystery #4 might be my favorite.

Edited by MCMiles