• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Turnout time

171 posts in this topic

Well that's it for me then. They have been at these outrageously long times for far too long. I have 64 books out in various states of "verified" from as far back as April now. I will not be sending in anymore orders until I get every book back and I don't even anticipate that happening before the end of the year with the last order of 20 that were sent out in August.

I understand they do not want to compromise the quality of the grading, and neither do I. But they underestimated the number of graders that should have been trained over a year ago now to help meet this growing concern. If there is a shortage of qualified people in the area willing to do the job, raise their salaries and make it a desired position. In this economy with outrageous unemployment there are bound to be people willing to relocate for a decent salary that have the qualifications and are looking for work. If it is an issue of needing more encapsulation machinery, banks should have no problem setting up a revolver or capital lease to finance capital expenditures for a company that has been in existence for as long as they have working on over 2,000,000 comics.

It's been fun CGC but I won't be sending any additional books in for grading, sketches, or signatures until something changes. And I'm sure my wallet will thank me for the breather. If enough people followed suit, the reduction of books CGC receives would give the existing graders time to work on the backlog and get days outstanding back down. But I have seen where people have tried to start this movement and nothing happens. If you are fine with waiting, wait. The product might be rare so you feel you have to have it, but you know what? Lot's of times I have passed up on the rare, regretted it, and got over it. I'll probably do a lot of that during the next several months, but I'm just over it and will not contribute to the problem any longer.

This is by no means suppose to be rubbing salt in the wound. Best of luck to all the employees of CGC, I do truly know you are working hard, I have never doubted that and I thank you for the job you do. Just wish there were more of you. :foryou:

rantrant over now.

I'm still waiting on 3 moderns they received on 5/23/12...I don't mind the wait, well, now it is getting a bit ridiculous, but next time...FAST TRACK I will...

That can't be right - I have a modern invoice that's also dated 05/23 and those books shipped out from CGC more than 3 weeks ago, on September 4th.

Are those books being shipped straight back to you or going through somebody else?

If grade is not a big concern with some sketch cover or signature series collectors why not give an option of NG as long as the name is notated on the label correctly. Wouldn't that cut back some of the grading backlog?

If grade is not a big concern with some sketch cover or signature series collectors why not give an option of NG as long as the name is notated on the label correctly. Wouldn't that cut back some of the grading backlog?

never thought of that and i dont know if it can be done, but that is a great idea. i really mean it. i would get soo many sketch covers done because they would all come back fast.

Now my rant...

I blame the amount of modern age stuff that gets submitted as the reason there is such a back log.

CGC says:

•Inexpensive comics, which are not generally submitted for certification, may appear scarce but are not

Most modern stuff is inexpensive! This annoys me to no end....yet I see 9.8 signature collector's thinking they have holy grails out of each modern comic they have. I hate both signature books, and modern stuff,

Considering the amount of silver, golden, and bronze and stuff is finite. What if CGC didn't allow something to be graded until it was at least 5 years old and maybe actually collectible? That would annoy the 9.8 modern signature collector's to no end...but probably make all the golden silver bronze and copper collector's very happy.

Now my rant...

I blame the amount of modern age stuff that gets submitted as the reason there is such a back log.

CGC says:

•Inexpensive comics, which are not generally submitted for certification, may appear scarce but are not

Most modern stuff is inexpensive! This annoys me to no end....yet I see 9.8 signature collector's thinking they have holy grails out of each modern comic they have. I hate both signature books, and modern stuff,

Considering the amount of silver, golden, and bronze and stuff is finite. What if CGC didn't allow something to be graded until it was at least 5 years old and maybe actually collectible? That would annoy the 9.8 modern signature collector's to no end...but probably make all the golden silver bronze and copper collector's very happy.

So ... to summarize ... what I collect sucks, what you collect rocks? Gotcha :thumbsup:

But they underestimated the number of graders that should have been trained over a year ago now to help meet this growing concern.

I don't think they "train" people, do they?

I thought you had to have significant experience as a long-time comicshop owner, restoration expert, established name in the business, etc.?

Hell...throw me in a week-long training session and pay me $50K a year + benefits and I'll quit my job today...

even if Sarasota does suck. lol

I'm still waiting on 3 moderns they received on 5/23/12...I don't mind the wait, well, now it is getting a bit ridiculous, but next time...FAST TRACK I will...

That can't be right - I have a modern invoice that's also dated 05/23 and those books shipped out from CGC more than 3 weeks ago, on September 4th.

Are those books being shipped straight back to you or going through somebody else?

I submitted the books via a CGC member store but by the sounds of it, they have not even been graded yet...To me, if they were, they would have said that they were just waiting to ship them out...Right?

Most recent communications (amended)...

August-20-12 10:22 AM

"We are grading Moderns received on 5/23 so we are looking at another month most likely on these. The Modern service is running well over 2 months right now".

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM, name and email removed wrote:

"...Figured I’d ask the status...Sorry..."

Fri 28/09/2012 9:15 AM

"We are still a bit away, the volume is daunting and taking a bit longer than anticipated"

I don't want to keep bugging them, but like I said, I don't mind waiting but this is getting to be a bit of a stretch. I don't think it is the store by the sounds of it that would be slowing the process down. I will just be even more picky from what books I submit and I will be using Fast Track now too.

I submitted the books via a CGC member store but by the sounds of it, they have not even been graded yet...To me, if they were, they would have said that they were just waiting to ship them out...Right?

"We are grading Moderns received on 5/23 so we are looking at another month most likely on these. The Modern service is running well over 2 months right now".

"We are still a bit away, the volume is daunting and taking a bit longer than anticipated"

I don't want to keep bugging them, but like I said, I don't mind waiting but this is getting to be a bit of a stretch. I don't think it is the store by the sounds of it that would be slowing the process down. I will just be even more picky from what books I submit and I will be using Fast Track now too.

But look at that reply you just pasted in - on August 20th, CGC tells you that they're grading moderns received on 05/23 (the date of your invoice), so why wouldn't your books have been graded back then? This also corresponds with my own 05/23 invoice - it was graded the last week of August and shipped on Sep. 4th.

Did you mean to say that your invoice was from 06/23?

But look at that reply you just pasted in - on August 20th, CGC tells you that they're grading moderns received on 05/23 (the date of your invoice), so why wouldn't your books have been graded back then? This also corresponds with my own 05/23 invoice - it was graded the last week of August and shipped on Sep. 4th.

Or, did he give his books to his LCS on 5/23.

Hey, thanks for helping me clear this up. When I back tracked,it appears there was a longer than anticipated delay from my understanding from when the LCS would actually submit to CGC, which I will have to ask them about, but I think they must wait to do a bulk shipment. However, they (CGC) advised that

"Looks like we got that in on 7/5 a few days after your last email! It is here and in process".

Still been over 60 business days and by the sounds of it a few more weeks to go, maybe more...But factoring in when they actually got it, doesn't seem AS bad...

Hey, thanks for helping me clear this up. When I back tracked,it appears there was a longer than anticipated delay from my understanding from when the LCS would actually submit to CGC, which I will have to ask them about, but I think they must wait to do a bulk shipment. However, they (CGC) advised that

"Looks like we got that in on 7/5 a few days after your last email! It is here and in process".

Still been over 60 business days and by the sounds of it a few more weeks to go, maybe more...But factoring in when they actually got it, doesn't seem AS bad...

Ah, yeah, that makes sense - it's rather lame that your store sat on the books for a month without informing you of this delay, though.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense - it's rather lame that your store sat on the books for a month without informing you of this delay, though.

Very lame.

So you are going through your LCS to submit, which waits two months before shipping, probably doesn't even pass along the dealer discount and you are upset with CGC.

You would be much better off buying a membership and submitting yourself or find a better LCS or friend that has an account. Sorry but I think your complaints are misguided.

So you are going through your LCS to submit, which waits two months before shipping, probably doesn't even pass along the dealer discount and you are upset with CGC.

You would be much better off buying a membership and submitting yourself or find a better LCS or friend that has an account. Sorry but I think your complaints are misguided.

+1

First of all, I never once said I was 'upset'. I think I said the opposite. I was just commenting on the turn around time as it is the topic of this thread and simply trying to compare the wait times. I then realized one reason for the discrepancy was when the books were actually received by CGC. All I did say is that I would be more selective about what books I would send in the future and pay for the fast track service.

I also said I would discuss with my LCS why it took so long to actually send the books in. The LCS is a CGC member and very reputable dealer. And yes, there was a discount. I am a long-time collector, but 'new' to CGC so I did not want to jump in straight away with a membership but it is something I am considering.

Regardless of how long it took my LCS to submit, while CGC has answered my questions and I think they have good customer service, it is still been over 60 business days and by the sounds of it they are still 'a bit away' (whatever that means) - It could be a week or longer.

Now my rant...

CGC says:

Inexpensive comics, which are not generally submitted for certification, may appear scarce but are not

So ... to summarize ... what I collect sucks, what you collect rocks? Gotcha :thumbsup:

The spirit of CGC with it's preservation archiving, restoration check, and admission that graded books more common for rare or expensive books tell me it should be for older books.

If the new breed of collector's want their new stuff slabbed, that's fine. I buy new stuff, It doesn't mean I need to slab it since most are relatively inexpensive. So when I do get around to it and time has passed and the market appreciates them more then I'll send them in.

The new stuff doesn't need immediate archival sealed preservation since the paper quality is much better that the books are printed on. The newer stuff shouldn't require a restoration check but one happens anyway. All of this slows up the process....so what you collect doesn't suck, it just aint worth it to be slabbed and makes life slower for everyone.

Now my rant...

CGC says:

Inexpensive comics, which are not generally submitted for certification, may appear scarce but are not

The spirit of CGC with it's preservation archiving, restoration check, and admission that graded books more common for rare or expensive books tell me it should be for older books.

If the new breed of collector's want their new stuff slabbed, that's fine. I buy new stuff, It doesn't mean I need to slab it since most are relatively inexpensive. So when I do get around to it and time has passed and the market appreciates them more then I'll send them in.

The new stuff doesn't need immediate archival sealed preservation since the paper quality is much better that the books are printed on. The newer stuff shouldn't require a restoration check but one happens anyway. All of this slows up the process....so what you collect doesn't suck, it just aint worth it to be slabbed and makes life slower for everyone.

First off, your first comment was the most asinine thing I've read on the internet all month, so congrats on that.

Secondly, your "I collect GA/SA so I'm holier-than-thou" vibe you're giving off just strengthens the negative stigma you guys give off towards modern collectors, so again, good job on that.

Lastly, do you realize that graders are only grading certain eras? Modern graders aren't grading GA submissions and vice versa, therefore even if a million moderns were submitted, it wouldn't affect the turnaround time for your precious GA submissions (note this was told to me by a CGC representative, if it's incorrect, I apologize). Don't blame the modern submitters, blame the GA submitters who have been submitting books exponentially higher than ever before. You know, the one's who do nothing but spend every last dollar submitting every single book they own that was printed before 1950 because, well, it was printed before 1950.

Your rationale of why modern collectors shouldn't submit their books because of the reason CGC was created is hokum. I hope you know that the moderns of today are the GA's (per se) of tomorrow. I know it's a tough pill to swallow trying to grasp the fact that AF #15 isn't going to be the only desirable book in 2075. Don't hate on someone who wants to submit their Revival #1 to preserve its quality for the next 50 years. It's no different than you submitting your GA for preservation, other than the fact that it's already and you want to prevent it from getting any more than it already is.

I buy new stuff, It doesn't mean I need to slab it since most are relatively inexpensive.

Sounds like you're in it for the money. Kind of goes hand in hand with the eagerness of getting your books back.

If someone wants to submit their $2.99 book, that's up to them. Not everyone is submitting books with the sole reasoning of "how much can I sell it for". Some just submit cause they like having a true grade and authenticity of its integrity. Sorry you're not able to sell sell sell cause the turnaround time is slow. Maybe you should just enjoy the new books you read that are coming out and wait patiently like the rest of us without lambasting modern collectors. Or, cough up the extra money to get them fast-tracked.

Cause guess what, that's the main reason why turn-around times are slow. Their pricing structure on fast track is just $10 more than regular. So, everyone is submitting fast-track.

Hey, one thing we do have in common is hating signatures. So, rather than dumping all my beer on you, we can take a few sips together. :)