• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, Mercury Man said:
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:55 PM, raybowles said:

Wow how predictable.  The only people I ever hear complaining about this show is comic collectors. The show is still popular with everybody I know.  I work at the Federal building in Orange County and there are over 100 people that watch the show every week. I have not heard any complaints from 1 person.

I don't think it's complaining, and even though it is still the highest rated cable show Sunday night, it is seeing a real decline in viewers"

"According to Nielsen Live+Same Day data, the episode airing on Oct. 29 drew a 4.0 rating in adults 18-49 and 8.9 million viewers. Not only is that a drop of approximately 20 percent in both measures from the Season 8 premiere last Sunday, but it is also the show’s lowest ratings since Season 2. The most comparable episode to this week’s in terms of ratings was Episode 8 of Season 2, which drew a 4.2 and 8.1 million viewers back in 2012."

Actually, the comic collector in the family is the only one still watching this - but in full disclosure, I never collected/read the books/comics.  My wife, two sons and daughter (and everyone else I know that did watch it) all gave up long ago on the TV show because the plots were so asinine - everyone running around, making idiotic decisions and doing stupid stuff so that they can drag the plotlines out.  As irritating as I find the show, I've kind settled into watching the trainwreck unfold.

1 hour ago, justafan said:

There might be too many shows or maybe I'm just going to too many shows back to back too often.   As a buyer I got stock fatigue seeing the same dealer stock digging through the same long boxes show after show, dealer after dealer from the east coast to the west and back.  I spent less on comics this year than in any of the previous 3 years and my bank account is the best reflection of this.  however it isn't for lack of finding great books being offered at shows.  it's for the simple fact that I'm down to the more rare items needed for my collection and my tastes for common items has me focused on the highest attainable grade with the best presentation possible and I'm just not finding those at many shows. 

Not really dealers fault as I probably don't represent the majority of collectors and the stuff I'm looking for likely sells long before they make it to shows or before the doors even open. 

The veteran big dealers seem to consistently do well enough to keep going. I met 1st time dealers at sdcc that did ok or at least broke even after slow starts. I saw some of the big guys bring in fresh stock that I managed to find something to buy but that was all at the same show in baltimore where I did most of my buying.

What worries me is the high booth prices for all these shows. I realize for many dealers the opportunity to raid other dealers stock and make it a mini vacation make the overall cost worth the trip but worry that it limits what stock they bring and what smaller dealers can afford. if you're already down $1k-3k that's a large hole to make up for small dealers (worse at sdcc). and how do you keep that up at back to back shows?

big dealers can make that up with a few big sales. smaller ones have to grind it out depending on their stock.  

from my experiences this year talking with different dealers:

1. whales with bags of cash still do appear. there was a guy at baltimore with $50k+ in rolls of $5's and $1's that paid full price for whatever they bought and another at heroes or dc that had a bag o' cash for buyin.

2. There's no shortage of dollar box divers. comics4u at Baltimore had a great setup and it was busy all weekend.

3. the population of speculators and investors has grown as has the age and gender range.  Lots of preteens digging for the next hot book and many of them female.

4. con prices = ebay prices. negotiations seem to start from there or slightly above which has turned me off from some dealers but they find it necessary since everyone now expects a 20% discount from whatever you're asking.

5. I see more buyers for those pop dolls than comics sometimes. are those the next beanie babies? 

Maybe there are too many shows or maybe we just go to too many to appreciate what is there.  I'm cutting back next year to Heroes, awesome con, and baltimore with c2e2 or wizard chicago being my new test market for buying.  SDCC didn't pan out very well last year.

Off topic post of the year?  

The show is horrible now. 

Been that way for a long time. 

GROUP FINDS COMMUNITY RAN BY STRANGE CHARACTER > GROUP STARTS TROUBLE AND RUINS/DESTROYS EVERYTHING > GO ON THE RUN AGAIN

Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat. 

Season 8 was terrible. OOOOO! WE GET TO WATCH NEEGAN TORTURE SOMEONE AGAIN! 

My wife has made me watch the last few seasons against my will. lol 

She is DONE after season 8, and the only reason I'm considering holding on is to see Rick and Daryl (hopefully) get revenge. 

The show lost its charm a long time ago. Like a aging boxer or musician, the show's writers just don't know when to hang it up. 

4 hours ago, Mackenzie999 said:
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 12:03 PM, Paddy_McShillihan said:

.... all of a sudden there's gas everywhere as well

...and not just gas but fresh, usable gas. How many years into the apocalypse are they now? Gas eventually goes bad.

I actually don't know the answer to this for sure, but doesn't all the corn gas now have a longer shelf life?  You have to work to find real gas anymore.

On 10/27/2017 at 5:01 AM, mysterio said:

FWIW, I was excited to buy a small collection of moderns recently that had about 15 recent issues of WD in it, as I have always been asked for them. They’ve been to three shows now and I’ve sold none of them and requests have stopped. Could be Murphy’s Law of comic selling, but it’s got me wondering. 

Was reminded of this post.  The definitive WD thread is back.

2 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, mysterio said:

FWIW, I was excited to buy a small collection of moderns recently that had about 15 recent issues of WD in it, as I have always been asked for them. They’ve been to three shows now and I’ve sold none of them and requests have stopped. Could be Murphy’s Law of comic selling, but it’s got me wondering. 

Was reminded of this post.  The definitive WD thread is back.

And to update, now five shows and still zero sold.

On 11/20/2017 at 4:00 PM, newshane said:

GROUP FINDS COMMUNITY RAN BY STRANGE CHARACTER > GROUP STARTS TROUBLE AND RUINS/DESTROYS EVERYTHING > GO ON THE RUN AGAIN

Became boring and outstayed its welcome.

Also I think people are in a more optimistic mood now and sick of the doom n gloom culture of the Walking Dead.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 11/20/2017 at 9:39 PM, lizards2 said:
On 11/20/2017 at 4:51 PM, Mackenzie999 said:
On 11/4/2017 at 3:03 PM, Paddy_McShillihan said:

.... all of a sudden there's gas everywhere as well

...and not just gas but fresh, usable gas. How many years into the apocalypse are they now? Gas eventually goes bad.

I actually don't know the answer to this for sure, but doesn't all the corn gas now have a longer shelf life?  You have to work to find real gas anymore.

It also depends on how the fuel was stored.

Bad fuel will still burn, it just doesn't ignite as easily.

You might have trouble running a fuel burning engine in cold weather but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that these cars would run on old gas in Atlanta.

On ‎2017‎/‎11‎/‎20 at 2:00 PM, newshane said:

My wife has made me watch the last few seasons against my will. lol 

She is DONE after season 8, and the only reason I'm considering holding on is to see Rick and Daryl (hopefully) get revenge. 

The show lost its charm a long time ago. Like a aging boxer or musician, the show's writers just don't know when to hang it up. 

Re: bolded part: That is the nature of the environment created by Kirkman. It is a flaw, but it is the core of the story. I don't actually have a problem with it. The stuff I do dislike on the show is the purposeful misdirection. Glenn falls off the dumpster, and is shown being torn apart. Or the ridiculous Rick pointing a machine gun at Negan and hgis Leutenants and counting down 10-9-8-7 SHOOTS but hits NOTHING.

On 2/28/2018 at 4:03 PM, Artboy99 said:

Re: bolded part: That is the nature of the environment created by Kirkman. It is a flaw, but it is the core of the story. I don't actually have a problem with it. The stuff I do dislike on the show is the purposeful misdirection. Glenn falls off the dumpster, and is shown being torn apart. Or the ridiculous Rick pointing a machine gun at Negan and hgis Leutenants and counting down 10-9-8-7 SHOOTS but hits NOTHING.

The thing is, the actual television writers of TWD can, and should change the nature of the show.  It doesn't need to be strictly beholden to the comics, and I think at this point in time it's getting pretty obvious the show will not last to where we are in the comics either.

And, besides, what is wrong with telling a larger story, or at least something different?  Let the comics be what the comics are, and the tv show do something different.