• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Eric B said:

The thing is, the actual television writers of TWD can, and should change the nature of the show.  It doesn't need to be strictly beholden to the comics, and I think at this point in time it's getting pretty obvious the show will not last to where we are in the comics either.

And, besides, what is wrong with telling a larger story, or at least something different?  Let the comics be what the comics are, and the tv show do something different.

I do agree. In fact the further they expand on the adventures of the characters I read about the better in my opinion.

I have to laugh at myself: I am willing to suspend belief that the dead walk the earth but I am not able to forgive that a vehicle with a machine gun in the back can't hit another vehicle chasing it down a highway. :p

19 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I've said it before, AMC has no reason to ever let end this show. Worst case, there are so many ways they can lower the budget to keep it going with even just its smallest core audience. I've always thought it could be a long-term franchise for them. One spin-off doesn't stick? Re-cast, re-set, different point in the timeline, and spin up the next one.

But I didn't say I'd watch all of them. :nyah:

Edited by BCarter27

17 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Interesting read! Thanks ;)

With that semicurrent dip with prices recently, some will make off like bandits, presumably. But lol when they compare it to star trek, those books don't have too many keys. Maybe a show that is based on a comic turned movie etc will do better (thumbsu

17 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

And don't forget the cross-over with Game of Thrones!!!

Coming to an arena near YOU!!!!!!

836406857_onice.jpg.67f9b13a4696dc4620a45277f734a472.jpg

With Its Zombies, AMC Is The Walking Deal

With AMC stating their intention to double down on The Walking Dead franchise and even seek partners on future TWD projects, this Bloomberg reporter wonders if this is the first step in selling the company.  

What would the long-term lifespan of the franchise be under the Disney or NBC Universal (Comcast) umbrella? hm 

Buy! Buy! Buy! 

Edited by delekkerste

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

This is a pump and dump alright but I'm not talking about the comic.  I really don't see this working out for any potential buyer/streamer/investor unless they can put some real "meat" into the movie content and storyline that will not only draw viewers back in but are willing to do so at a premium if they have to pay for a new streaming service or shell out dough at a theater.  This show is already damaged goods hanging on by the little it has left going for it. The "fatigue" that set in is a direct result to 2 key components:

1. loss of key characters: Glenn, Carl, (soon to be Rick). (Daryl is the only one left at this point keeping most of the female viewers still tuning in)

2. Walker population credibility and no hunt for a cure/cause (i.e. tired recycled seasonal plots) (the helicopter flying over dumpster HQ scene piqued my interest but starting to feel a little Lostish)

There's really not much that can be done about the former unless they come back with some really fresh bad-asses and good-guys that can make us fall in love with the new characters but if they don't address #2 there's no point to tuning in or paying to see a stale rehashed plotline dragged out.

I think the show has beat the dead horse to death in answering the question of "what happens after the end of a zombie movie when the heroes escape with their lives?"  The same thing that happens in any other post-apocalyptic movie.  They get to live day to day struggling to survive living in constant fear where other humans are the greatest threat.

I can see AMC making serious bank on selling or negotiating movie rights and then bailing but I'm thinking this will flop.  As for the comic, if there's a spike, I'm going to SELL, SELL, SELL!

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

With Its Zombies, AMC Is The Walking Deal

With AMC stating their intention to double down on The Walking Dead franchise and even seek partners on future TWD projects, this Bloomberg reporter wonders if this is the first step in selling the company.  

What would the long-term lifespan of the franchise be under the Disney or NBC Universal (Comcast) umbrella? hm 

Buy! Buy! Buy! 

The thing is the majority of the audience has outgrown it. When my son was 14 he thought it was cool, now at 17 he finds it boring.

The young audience has outgrown it.

Think of teens in the 80s who thought Freddy and Jason movies were cool, but by the time they became young adults they moved on to Schindler's List.

It is hard to top the season premiere from a couple of seasons ago when Lucille met Glen and Abraham. That was likely the peak for shock TWD television.

Still, 11.4 million viewers is better than I thought it would be based on the number of people I know who just binge-watch the season at the end instead of tuning in for each episode.

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

I disagree. I think the Walking Dead #1 will be highly sought after years from now, kind of like how TMNT #1's are now. I certainly think it's the king of the modern age books.

Likely, but TMNT #1 took a dip and was cold for a while as well.

For me, my bubble had busted away. I stopped watching TWD tv series two seasons ago. I don't like to be tied to their fixed time slot every week. 

Maybe when it finally is over. I will watch on reruns. Just not now.

As for the TWD #1 being the king of modern age. Sure, if I find one or early numbers.  I will flip for $$.

I don't collect and keep moderns anyway. Nor that series.  But is fun to read. 

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I disagree. I think the Walking Dead #1 will be highly sought after years from now, kind of like how TMNT #1's are now. I certainly think it's the king of the modern age books.

It's a great read, but I don't think it will be king once the dust settles.  I'd believe that will be a book featuring a character tied to a larger universe. BA #12 or some variant cover? Not sure, but I don't see new readers/collectors jumping onto WD at this point.