• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Any predictions on when, or even if, the walking dead bubble will burst?

After s3 if it is no good?

As s3 starts because everyone will bring their comics to market hoping to cash in?

It's crashing now?

I don't know if any of those are true but opinions would be interesting.

Edited by The-Collector

I think the series picked up steam and viewers as Season 2 unfolded and Kirkman is on a roll and has figured out television. I look for the series to get even better and viewership to grow Season 3. The trend on back issues (I own zero-just read the trades) will stay strong.

Any predictions on when or even if the walking dead price bubble will burst?

As s3 starts because everyone will bring their comics to market hoping to cash in?

its crashing now?

I dont know if any of those are true but opinions would be interesting.

Sell me your issues before the crash :baiting:

I think personally the title is on a downward turn. Thats not too say it's crashing but peoples opinion of it is lowering. I hear a lot more complaints about the story and artwork now than I have ever heard. People are starting to stop reading it and big collectors are getting tired off it, especially with the increased number of variants, what this means for back issue sales I don't know but I for one have cashed in and whereas it was my number one book each month I look forward to others more.

I'm not sure if it will ever 'crash'.

Certainly may stagnate, but something so well-known and popular that has a print run for the lowest no copies (#3, #4, #5??) of just over 4500 isn't going to implode.

I think there were over 1200 #1's on the census out of 7200.

Theres way less than 6000 out there as I know of many boardies that have ungraded copies - myself included.

If you want a set or a low issue no run then the demand, by due of very low no of copies will ensure the supply will not outstrip it.

I think there is plenty of wriggle-room in this book yet,we are not even at the Prison yet, with Woodbury and Alexandria to come...(TV).

Germany etc only had their copies printed this year.

I can see long term growth in this regardless if Charlie keeps on forgetting the background and Kirkman keeps killing people.

A few actual Zombies might be nice now and again though!

This is something I've battled with myself.

I'll admit, I was late to the party. I started reading the comic around issue #68-70 (about a year before the TV series) and back then, I saw TWD #1 at comic shows for $350-500. I wish I had jumped at it then.

I have a hard time bringing myself to spend $800+ on a modern book that I feel, at some point, will inevitably slow down... I look at Spawn (not the best comparable obviously as there was over a million printed of number one) but the characters popularity now compared to what it was 10 years ago isn't even in the same ballpark.

I've noticed the comic is starting to wane a little bit. It's still good, and I love the series, but I don't have the same "oh my god, I can not wait until the next issue" that I had before.

As many have pointed out, I don't think this bubble will ever "burst." I'm just not sure it is a $1K book either.

Most of the people i see driving up the prices of the common are issues are people who just want to read the story. Season 2 ended, they didnt have another episode to watch the following week and they really wanted their walkin dead fix. They went in droves to comic shops and ebay with no knowledge of value, printruns etc and most that come to the shop have no idea what a trade paperback is.

I think once the majority of the people who fell in love with the show have their DVD box sets and read the story, the common issues will crash (ive already seen a huge slowdown vs last winter), but issue 1 will likely be a key for a long time.

its crashing now?

There are slight chinks in the armor beginning now.

The Walking Dead #100 variant covers made a few long-time fans upset that they had to go out of their way to buy multiple copies to keep their collection complete.Some of these variants went for hundreds on Ebay! :o

Another thing I noticed for a good few months between January to about this June Walking Dead dominated the Amazon top twenty graphic novel list. This is not the case anymore. When we check the list this morning we find that most of the Walking Dead graphic novels have fallen out of the top twenty to be replaced by Batman graphic novels.

Yes Batman is now the king of graphic novels according to Amazon!

Does this mean Walking Dead is dead?

of course not but it is not at the mania it was around May.

Could Batman now replacing Walking Dead as the most dominating graphic novel seller on Amazon started the beginning of the end for Walking Dead?

hm

I haven't cared for the last 2 story arc, A Larger World and Something to Fear, as much as previous stories. I don't know if I'm in the minority on that or not but I know some others are saying similar.

That said I think thats the biggest thing that will burst it's bubble, if the story gets bad/people stop wanting to read the current issues, they won't want the back issues either.

I'm still reading it but I don't know how long I will keep it on my pull list.

the greatest TV dramas (and this ain't remotely one of them) have about a 5-7 year shelf life before they either go into decline or when the brilliant creators bring them to an end. so i'd say the show will keep chugging along for another several years, the series will keep on but the buzz will be gone and if the art continues to deteriorate i'd say #200 seems like a logical guess as to when it'll wrap.

I just read issues 96 - 101 yesterday, I don't read moderns at all anymore, TWD is the last modern book I collect and even though #100 was good I don't find it as interesting anymore. I find myself skipping some pages because most of the pages are of the characters talking amongst themselves, too much dialogue; too many words all together hurt my brain!

:insane:

I think the main reason I'm still collecting it is because I have the entire series.

the greatest TV dramas (and this ain't remotely one of them) have about a 5-7 year shelf life before they either go into decline or when the brilliant creators bring them to an end. so i'd say the show will keep chugging along for another several years, the series will keep on but the buzz will be gone and if the art continues to deteriorate i'd say #200 seems like a logical guess as to when it'll wrap.
So what do you think for a current running tv series that could fit in the realm of great is? The Office? 30 Rock? Breaking Bad? Lucky for me I can get into a lot of crime shows like csi,ncis,etc otherwise tv today is lacking greatness. Married with Children and Seinfeld are my most recent favorites so its been a while since I had a drink of greatness on the tube.

its crashing now?

There are slight chinks in the armor beginning now.

The Walking Dead #100 variant covers made a few long-time fans upset that they had to go out of their way to buy multiple copies to keep their collection complete.Some of these variants went for hundreds on Ebay! :o

Another thing I noticed for a good few months between January to about this June Walking Dead dominated the Amazon top twenty graphic novel list. This is not the case anymore. When we check the list this morning we find that most of the Walking Dead graphic novels have fallen out of the top twenty to be replaced by Batman graphic novels.

Yes Batman is now the king of graphic novels according to Amazon!

Does this mean Walking Dead is dead?

of course not but it is not at the mania it was around May.

Could Batman now replacing Walking Dead as the most dominating graphic novel seller on Amazon started the beginning of the end for Walking Dead?

hm

I don't think that makes any sense at all to be honest.

At SOME point everyone has it and it drops off the charts. That doesn't mean they like it any less.

It's just like when a new album from a popular band comes out... or new movie everyone's been waiting for. It dominates the charts for a while then eventually it goes away. Why? Because everyone's seen/bought it.

My friends were buying WD trade paperbacks like crazy the last year. Now they all have it (love it). They aren't buying it any more. Doesn't mean the shows/comic is going downhill. Doesn't mean anything really.