• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I disagree. I think the Walking Dead #1 will be highly sought after years from now, kind of like how TMNT #1's are now. I certainly think it's the king of the modern age books.

I think the key difference between TMNT and walking dead is when the book and show are done that’s the end of it. No future reboots, toys, movies. Ninja turtles can always be new and fresh. Walking Dead will end and that will be it. Walking dead can only go down from here. Turtles can always keep growing. 

7300 ish copies (minus natural loss/damage) will keep a strong residual value on TWD #1

Ironically #2 + #3  have significant 1st apps and are probably, for a fan, equally important - and have similar if not lower print runs.

#1 is Rick, Shane and Morgan

#2 Lori,Carl and Glenn

#3 Dale, Carol and Andrea

I would rate #2 on a par with #1 tbh.

I no longer have a copy of any of these (or #19) - but will be buying should the market substantially drop.

I would doubt that I would be alone in that either.

In short, if there is a collapse, then it would only be a temporary one as collectors jump in to buy these books whilst they are down.

Love it or hate it - TWD was THE big show to watch for millions worldwide - it may now be average at best (Fear TWD is just, well, terrible) - but the early Seasons (even the much maligned Season 2) stand up very well on a re-run.

Walking Dead Keys #1,2,3 and 19 (possibly #27) will always have a significant $$ value.

FWIW - I could see in later years:

#1 settling at $1250 - $1500

#2  at $800 - $900 

#3 I think is undervalued and may even rise a bit - $600 - Carol is a major,major draw for the Show. Andrea likewise in the Comic.

#19 (Michonne)  $300 - $350

#27 (The Gov) may hold at $100

Worth noting that a TWD #1 sold for $1300 in July, #2 for $1000 in August, #3 for $251 in June and #19 for $328 in August this year, all in 9.8

Plenty of buyers around for those books at that price, and even more when they dip lower.

The comparison with TMNT is for another day!

2c

Its weird, this thread is as much of a support/self-help thread for all of the folks still holding onto these books thinking they are going maintain any real value when the show folds, as much as it is a thread for people rave about how valuable these books were, are, and will be. Its like the Good Will Hunting of comic book thread. 

20 hours ago, justafan said:

This is a pump and dump alright but I'm not talking about the comic.  I really don't see this working out for any potential buyer/streamer/investor unless they can put some real "meat" into the movie content and storyline that will not only draw viewers back in but are willing to do so at a premium if they have to pay for a new streaming service or shell out dough at a theater.  This show is already damaged goods hanging on by the little it has left going for it. The "fatigue" that set in is a direct result to 2 key components:

1. loss of key characters: Glenn, Carl, (soon to be Rick). (Daryl is the only one left at this point keeping most of the female viewers still tuning in)

2. Walker population credibility and no hunt for a cure/cause (i.e. tired recycled seasonal plots) (the helicopter flying over dumpster HQ scene piqued my interest but starting to feel a little Lostish)

There's really not much that can be done about the former unless they come back with some really fresh bad-asses and good-guys that can make us fall in love with the new characters but if they don't address #2 there's no point to tuning in or paying to see a stale rehashed plotline dragged out.

I think the show has beat the dead horse to death in answering the question of "what happens after the end of a zombie movie when the heroes escape with their lives?"  The same thing that happens in any other post-apocalyptic movie.  They get to live day to day struggling to survive living in constant fear where other humans are the greatest threat.

I can see AMC making serious bank on selling or negotiating movie rights and then bailing but I'm thinking this will flop.  As for the comic, if there's a spike, I'm going to SELL, SELL, SELL!

I am in total agreement. 

The story is terrible with no end in sight other than some sort of ridiculous dues ex machina. 

The story was driven by the characters, and now most of the characters are dead, leaving no appeal. 

The show has sucked since Neegan arrived. Horrible. 

I think Walking Dead 1 is important from a cultural standpoint, but its time has waxed and waned. 

Buy it if you LIKE it. If you want to make some sort of crazy profit, I'm still not sold on WD1 as the vehicle to get you there. 

Judging by last nights dreadful episode you can see why Andrew Lincoln wanted out.

What a boring show this has become.

I don't recognise it from the brilliant early seasons.

Last 9.8 went for $1800 according to GPA so I'd say the trend downwards is in full flow.

I had 5 copies and sold all 5 a couple of years back - I'll certainly buy another one when prices are at (what i perceive to be ) its lowest - but that will be totally due to the enjoyment I got from episodes #1 - #48 and the first 3 or 4 seasons.

The comic and show have simply run out of ideas.

Edited by Beige

On 9/20/2018 at 10:45 AM, newshane said:

I am in total agreement. 

The story is terrible with no end in sight other than some sort of ridiculous dues ex machina. 

The story was driven by the characters, and now most of the characters are dead, leaving no appeal. 

I think Walking Dead 1 is important from a cultural standpoint, but its time has waxed and waned. 

Buy it if you LIKE it. If you want to make some sort of crazy profit, I'm still not sold on WD1 as the vehicle to get you there. 

I agree.  I just can't believe they cannot introduce something new....i.e. like rumors of a "cure" and quest to find it.  It's all the same and killing off major characters was a big mistake in IMO.  I barely watch it now.  I DVR the shows and speed watch them now.

I confirm that Walking Dead comic sales have dropped dramatically. Have a buyer for our Walking Dead #1 CBCS 9.8, and we agreed to time payments but that buyer seems to have disappeared on us. Not sure what will happen.

As to the TV show:

I just recently cracked open my Season 1-2-3 DVD sets and watched them. I had forgotten how good the TV show was then, I especially like season 2 watching it all together whereas I hated it as it aired on TV. Binge watching season 2 is where it is at.

I stopped watching Walking Dead TV show sometime during last season.

I am trying to come up with where I think the TV show went off track, and I am thinking somewhere in season 4-5.

It does not matter to me. I just finished quietly getting rid of the 1,000 copies I ordered and had slabbed, along with 500 each of 2 and 3. Wish I had kept on ordering, but my wife was angry they were taking up too much space. Sold many of them, traded a bunch and have put together a nice collection of blue chip SA and GA slabs. Oh wait, that's just my imagination playing tricks on me. My bad.

I'm sticking with the shot until the bitter end. No, it isn't nearly as good as it was in the mid seasons, but I've come this far and dammit I'm gonna watch em all. I've assumed all along that the value of the early keys will drop sharply once the show is off the air and the property is out of the collective pop culture hive mind. Its impossible to guess what might happen long term, but unless we see some decent films or at some point a resurgence in the show or a new show with new characters that is done well, ya right :(

Anyway, I'm ready for the tears next Sunday. I don't care what anybody thinks.

No, each show someone shows someone mercy and it bites them in the arse. Rick will soon be dead because he kept Negan alive. Heck, negan is entombed because he didn't kill rick.

Edited by the blob

On 9/20/2018 at 10:45 AM, newshane said:

I am in total agreement. 

It is likely watching NASCAR racing. It keeps looping around and around until the cars crash that excited the fans.  It doesn't excite me anymore. It goes on and goes on like watching the monotonous car racing on the oval lap.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:28 PM, Red84 said:

I think the key difference between TMNT and walking dead is when the book and show are done that’s the end of it. No future reboots, toys, movies. Ninja turtles can always be new and fresh. Walking Dead will end and that will be it. Walking dead can only go down from here. Turtles can always keep growing. 

Walking Dead has a spin-off series, albeit a less popular one. You can kills off the Alexandria folks and have 10,000 other potential plot lines around the world. Now, yes, maybe it all gets boring and repetitive.