• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I'm a fan of all things zombie and wanted to love The Walking Dead but its simply poorly written with lousy dialogue. I'm also not a fan of the art. I would love to see a different creative team produce a higher quality book. I do like the show, though.

I'm not a big zombie fan at all (with few notable exceptions) but TWD struck me as well-written from the standpoint that it has a very naturally flowing, everyday dialogue. The only complaint I have in my first 20 issues of reading is that when something *really* needs to be explained, it's done in huge paragraphs of text, which sometimes is distracting.

I can't imagine someone putting out "higher quality" than what we've got. Perhaps a different outlook or perspective on the classic zombie story is what you're looking for?

Another thing I can't figure out is why people are so interested to see/predict its failure, demise or bubble bursting? The damn series is bringing life to a medium we all profess to love, and people are chomping at the bit for it to tank. :doh:

Jim

I don't see many people wanting to see it fail. I see people curious to how long the trend may last for TWD.

Zombies are part of our collective imaginations as a society, just like superheroes are - they will always be around in several incarnations.

Guest Reader
I'm a fan of all things zombie and wanted to love The Walking Dead but its simply poorly written with lousy dialogue. I'm also not a fan of the art. I would love to see a different creative team produce a higher quality book. I do like the show, though.

I'm not a big zombie fan at all (with few notable exceptions) but TWD struck me as well-written from the standpoint that it has a very naturally flowing, everyday dialogue. The only complaint I have in my first 20 issues of reading is that when something *really* needs to be explained, it's done in huge paragraphs of text, which sometimes is distracting.

I can't imagine someone putting out "higher quality" than what we've got. Perhaps a different outlook or perspective on the classic zombie story is what you're looking for?

No, not a different outlook. Just better writing than, "My God, a zombie!" Actual word bubble. And that's only the beginning of a ton of dialogue that no one would actually use.

I don't mean to sound harsh, as I said, I went into this biased and wanting to love it. I really tried. I think that's why I'm so disappointed. It's not like there's another decent zombie title out there. The best one's I can remember were those solo stories in the old Warren mags.

Guest Reader
if Walking Dead was a fad then it would have disappeared already. Find me another recent comic book title that has a tv show, variant mania, etc. This has some legs.

I don't believe it's a fad. It's got a huge fan base and that will carry it. But its really the only show in town right now. What if Stephen King decided to write a series with Bernie Wrightson on board for the art duties. Yeah, I know. But I can dream.

if Walking Dead was a fad then it would have disappeared already. Find me another recent comic book title that has a tv show, variant mania, etc. This has some legs.

I don't believe it's a fad. It's got a huge fan base and that will carry it. But its really the only show in town right now. What if Stephen King decided to write a series with Bernie Wrightson on board for the art duties. Yeah, I know. But I can dream.

I think King has moved beyond zombies.

Another thing I can't figure out is why people are so interested to see/predict its failure, demise or bubble bursting? The damn series is bringing life to a medium we all profess to love, and people are chomping at the bit for it to tank. :doh:

Jim

It is very simple. Haters gonna hate.

Obligatory Video...

Has there been a comic book that has come out that has detailed the beginning, like from initial outbreak to complete breakdown in society? Instead of just starting the story after the zombies are already roaming around and the govt has already fallen.

I think personally the title is on a downward turn. Thats not too say it's crashing but peoples opinion of it is lowering. I hear a lot more complaints about the story and artwork now than I have ever heard. People are starting to stop reading it and big collectors are getting tired off it, especially with the increased number of variants, what this means for back issue sales I don't know but I for one have cashed in and whereas it was my number one book each month I look forward to others more.

Gotta agree with all of this. In my store, for the first time ever, the book is getting a lot of negative feedback. The current storyline is almost a complete rehash of the prison storyline, only with a more cartoony villain. And Kirkman is throwing away characters that people love and not replacing them with anyone of interest. I doubt the bubble will bust as far as early issue prices any time soon, but if current long time subscribers keep dropping the book prices will at least level off.

We saw about a 5% drop in subscribers following issue 100. Normally it would require a creator change on a book to make that many people drop it in one month.

Spawn had a movie, a gazillion variants, countless comic spin offs (i.e,. Medieval Spawn, Curse of the Spawn, Sam & Twitch, etc), a rated R television show/cartoon, and a ridiculous amount of toy lines.

The last 10 years popularity haven't been even close to the first 10 years.

The new readers Walking Dead brought in most likely couldn't care less about the value or condition of back issues, or the print run of variants. They most likely trade wait, or even borrow from the library. The people rushing out, looking for a reason to pump up the value of an odd issue because it has an ad for another comic (First appearance!) or has an actual first appearance of a minor supporting character will either make out like bandits as they sell them off to the same old collectors who think that kind of thing is important, or they will lose big when they realize they spent $80 on a $5 comic. Either way, the people who weren't previously comics readers or collectors who were lured in by Walking Dead will likely not be effected at the bookstore where they buy their trades. I don't hope Walking Dead as a series fails, but it would be nice if the hype was about the story and not the variant covers or the ads in the back or the TV show or the print run.

Edited by dupont2005

Spawn had a movie, a gazillion variants, countless comic spin offs (i.e,. Medieval Spawn, Curse of the Spawn, Sam & Twitch, etc), a rated R television show/cartoon, and a ridiculous amount of toy lines.

Does Spawn still put out a comic book? If it was a fad there would be no more Spawn but it's still around eh? Def not the height it was at before but it's there. I bet Walking Dead will still be around this time next year but it will be a shell of its former self.

Does Spawn still put out a comic book? If it was a fad there would be no more Spawn but it's still around eh? Def not the height it was at before but it's there. I bet Walking Dead will still be around this time next year but it will be a shell of its former self.

People who paid big bucks for early Spawn comics was a fad

Why would you say that?

There have been plenty of Walking Dead fans that have been around for years and it seems to be growing.

Spawn was popular 20 years ago and he's still relatively popular today, especially among all of those people that grew up reading Spawn.

We joke around because they think a Spawn #1 is the 1990's version of an AF #15 but in reality, people still dig the character.

It's no small feat to have character stay popular, talked about and in the collective conscience for 20 years.

Walking Dead is in the same vein, it's going on 10 years now. That's a success by anyone's measure.

While, it's tough to keep pushing zombies I think that if they continue to come up with and develop characters like Michonne who can transcend the series they've got something that will remain successful for some time.

I stopped reading the series at issue 48. The Calm Before the Storm was very slow, the first 37 issues or so were awesome, but it got too slow there. I didn't feel enough of a pay off in issue 48. I had lost interest in Rick and wanted him killed off, of course they refused to do this. The series could easily go on without him. At that point i foubd him to be both physically and mentally weak. I also would have liked to have seen a character like Axel developed more instead of wasted. Somewhere on the boards aroubd 2007 I wrote a parody about how how Rick replaces his hand with a hook and takes to the high seas with Dale "Peg Leg" Horovath with the eye patch wearing Governor and his band of pirates in hot persuit. Someone on the boards actually believed this and PMed me to ask me where I heard this new storyline. Others suggested I sent it in for the letters page.

I agree. Kirkman used to allow me to get invested in characters---now after No One is Safe I assume everyone can die--and as such I don't invest myself in any one character like I did before---and I would even bet that Kirkman has even distanced himself from character development since then. It makes for a soul-less venture where moral ambiguous actions are required for daily survival.

I think Michonne is cliche now...people are propping her up. She hasn't showed much of herself as a person since the Governor's abuse.

People who paid big bucks for early Spawn comics was a fad

I had my comic shop when Spawn early issues were popular, and you'd be lucky to nail $20 for a Spawn #1, and the same price for the first Angela appearance. Never really went beyond that - likely due to the 1,000,000 print run.

Same thing with Preacher, which was a fad for awhile, too. You were getting $50-$75 for #1s and so forth, but it never went past that.

You nailed it. Spawn was (and still is) very popular but the larger print runs kept prices relatively low.

I still hear people talk about Spawn at shows and stores all the time.

Any predictions on when or even if the walking dead price bubble will burst?

After s3 if it is no good?

As s3 starts because everyone will bring their comics to market hoping to cash in?

its crashing now?

I dont know if any of those are true but opinions would be interesting.

Let me attempt to answer your question.

The problem with 'Walking Dead' is that it is a modern issue that is highly speculated on. This is especially true due to the fact that a 'hit' television show has been developed on its concept. Combine this with the current 'zombie' craze and you have something that is going to be sought after. The problem is buying this issue now, would be BUYING at the PEAK of the market. I think after the television show dies down and ends its run this issue will start to fall and prices will 'level' off. It will still be speculative, but then again; I believe that prices on any collectible are speculative for many decades after their release.

That being said, the true test for a comic book like this is what will happen to the value thirty years from now? I honestly think most people speculating on this book are going to be really disappointed because out of everyone whom I know who loves the show; very few know it is even based on a comic book! This is not like Superman or Batman; where the comic book drove the 'craze.' This is the television show actually holding its own; that HAPPENS to be based off of a comic book. There is a major difference, that will become clear a few short years after the television show has 'run' its last episode.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

That being said, the true test for a comic book like this is what will happen to the value thirty years from now? I honestly think most people speculating on this book are going to be really disappointed because out of everyone whom I know who loves the show; very few know it is even based on a comic book! This is not like Superman or Batman; where the comic book drove the 'craze.' This is the television show actually holding its own; that HAPPENS to be based off of a comic book. There is a major difference, that will become clear a few short years after the television show has 'run' its last episode.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I think the true test is what do you expect to be the value between when you own it and when you might want to get rid of it. I think there's a whole class of collectors who only really think about what the book's worth now and whether that matches their desire to own it currently.

For instance, if I had waited 30 years, I could've snagged a higher graded copy of New Teen Titans #1 for less money that I paid 30 years ago. But I think the $5 extra I spent was worth the time I've had it to enjoy.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I think the true test is what do you expect to be the value between when you own it and when you might want to get rid of it. I think there's a whole class of collectors who only really think about what the book's worth now and whether that matches their desire to own it currently.

For instance, if I had waited 30 years, I could've snagged a higher graded copy of New Teen Titans #1 for less money that I paid 30 years ago. But I think the $5 extra I spent was worth the time I've had it to enjoy.

I would agree. However, judging by what the original poster asked; I think he or she may be interested in long term financial value as well. There are plenty of items I own that I just buy without any regard for the future collectivity of the market or the item in question (example: the newer Nintendo 3DS XL system and NEW Super Mario Bros. 2). I wanted to play the game and wanted the newer bigger sized system. I could care less what it is worth in the future, because as a video game dealer I already know. It will never be worth more than what I payed for it now; and most likely if I sold it in the future, I would take a 'bath' on it. It is an entertainment device, and I know this.

That being said, I bought it without hesitation. The individual poster more than likely does not want to get 'hosed' on their purchase; over the long term. I can't say I blame him (or her). This item has been selling for an 'obscene amount' for some time now. It also has all the warning signs of being speculative (newer manuafctured item that accelerates in price way too fast).

Just my opinion. This is another one of those scenerios where 'time will tell.'

Experience tells me that anyone wanting to buy should wait until AFTER the show loses steam and goes off the air; and then strike a year or two later; if not more.

Respectfully,

'mint'