• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

This new season continues the same slowing down , long reverential scenes, camera lingering on faces, flowers, trees etc etc.  they need to go back to moving the plot. Less self glorifying the characters trying to fan empathy etc.

problem really is that after so long, 8 seasons or 170 issues, the zombies are not a threat, just an annoying nuisance.  And the thrust of the show like the comic is turning to nation building.  Who really wants to read a comic, or watch a show about rebuilding society, with recurring interruptions of bad guys popping up for drama, and to kill off some lesser characters every now and then?

On Friday, December 09, 2016 at 8:08 AM, comix4fun said:

It hasn't worked, or the model has been different, with almost any other TV or movie related book or character.

If it's a villain to be featured on TV or in a film. The rise and run up of value starts upon announcement of inclusion of the villain, spikes in heat at the first full trailer, continues to rise in value until roughly a week before release....and then starts a slow downward slide in demand and price. Villains are one shots for films. Used and discarded.

Hero books from established characters, like SA marvel, tend to have a run up in demand and price and then remain or maintain prices with a smaller decline than the villain books, and will rise again when a new movie comes out. Those gaps, however, can be several years apart.

TWD #1 can have boom and bust cycles repeating twice a year. That's far more frequent and dramatic in % changes than almost any other book I've seen.

Wow how predictable.  The only people I ever hear complaining about this show is comic collectors. The show is still popular with everybody I know.  I work at the Federal building in Orange County and there are over 100 people that watch the show every week. I have not heard any complaints from 1 person.

Most of the members here have been complaining about the show and comic for years and 5 years from now when the show is starting season 13 and the comic is approaching issue 250 I'm sure it will be the same. 

I can not understand why so many comic book collectors are so against this show/comic. The Walking Dead has brought thousands of people into our hobby. It has done so much for our hobby and therefore you would think most comic collectors would hope it would go on forever instead of year after year predicting its doom.

11 hours ago, raybowles said:

Wow how predictable.  The only people I ever hear complaining about this show is comic collectors. The show is still popular with everybody I know.  I work at the Federal building in Orange County and there are over 100 people that watch the show every week. I have not heard any complaints from 1 person.

Most of the members here have been complaining about the show and comic for years and 5 years from now when the show is starting season 13 and the comic is approaching issue 250 I'm sure it will be the same. 

I can not understand why so many comic book collectors are so against this show/comic. The Walking Dead has brought thousands of people into our hobby. It has done so much for our hobby and therefore you would think most comic collectors would hope it would go on forever instead of year after year predicting its doom.

Not sure why you chose to quote my commentary on the valuation of TWD #1 as an example of what you wrote here, or why this analysis was "predictable" .

However, if you want to talk quality of the show, I'm your huckleberry. 

Why do people have to be slavishly loyal to a show based on a comic just because it came from a comic? Even if they fire effective showrunners? Even if they change style and direction drastically? Even if they replace smart and thoughtful thematic elements with B-movie schlock devices that appeal to the broadest audience regardless of how dumb those devices are?

Maybe it was around the time of Glen's magic dumpster. Or all cheap devices used that season. Or maybe the insulting 1st person angle cliff hanger. Maybe all of them. If you can watch seasons 1 or 2 and then watch either of the last two seasons and not see the drastic difference in the show then, well, I can understand your enjoyment of the show being unabated. 

Edited by comix4fun

TWD, like most shows on television eventually, is simply past its prime. As Bilbo said in LOTR, it feels like "too little butter spread over too much toast." And while I'm certain this show still has a huge audience, most people I know who were fans have moved on. And this has nothing to do with comic collecting.

On 10/31/2017 at 5:18 AM, comix4fun said:

Not sure why you chose to quote my commentary on the valuation of TWD #1 as an example of what you wrote here, or why this analysis was "predictable" .

However, if you want to talk quality of the show, I'm your huckleberry. 

Why do people have to be slavishly loyal to a show based on a comic just because it came from a comic? Even if they fire effective showrunners? Even if they change style and direction drastically? Even if they replace smart and thoughtful thematic elements with B-movie schlock devices that appeal to the broadest audience regardless of how dumb those devices are?

Maybe it was around the time of Glen's magic dumpster. Or all cheap devices used that season. Or maybe the insulting 1st person angle cliff hanger. Maybe all of them. If you can watch seasons 1 or 2 and then watch either of the last two seasons and not see the drastic difference in the show then, well, I can understand your enjoyment of the show being unabated. 

I apologize I did not mean to quote your comments.  I thought I was adding to the discussion.  Again I'm sorry.

6 hours ago, raybowles said:

I apologize I did not mean to quote your comments.  I thought I was adding to the discussion.  Again I'm sorry.

No biggie. I just didn't know what my price ebb and flow post had to do with all that jazz. lol 

So far season 7 has been better that the last couple, at least there has been some action...but they still dragging the whole Saviors/Negan story line out to much. Still enjoying the comic though, maybe it is the smaller doses that keep it interesting.

On 10/31/2017 at 1:55 AM, raybowles said:

I don't think it's complaining, and even though it is still the highest rated cable show Sunday night, it is seeing a real decline in viewers"

"According to Nielsen Live+Same Day data, the episode airing on Oct. 29 drew a 4.0 rating in adults 18-49 and 8.9 million viewers. Not only is that a drop of approximately 20 percent in both measures from the Season 8 premiere last Sunday, but it is also the show’s lowest ratings since Season 2. The most comparable episode to this week’s in terms of ratings was Episode 8 of Season 2, which drew a 4.2 and 8.1 million viewers back in 2012."

From the ridiculous caveman talking junkyard folk, the unfunny and utterly devoid of charisma Negan, characters doing retarded things just to further the plot, the kingdom, etc etc The show has nose dived. 

They go from scrounging for precious ammo to pointlessly shooting out windows at the Sanctuary. And sooo much more

5 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

From the ridiculous caveman talking junkyard folk, the unfunny and utterly devoid of charisma Negan, characters doing retarded things just to further the plot, the kingdom, etc etc The show has nose dived. 

They go from scrounging for precious ammo to pointlessly shooting out windows at the Sanctuary. And sooo much more

The complete waste of bullets for no reason and Rick not killing Negan when he had the chance were pretty absurd, even Gimple couldn't give an answer when someone asked him why Rick didn't shoot Negan. He also said they only have 8 days to make each episode and it shows.

They look like a bunch of cosplayers running around shooting each other and it's poor, lazy writing and just about the least interesting story they could be telling. 

5 hours ago, r100comics said:

The complete waste of bullets for no reason and Rick not killing Negan when he had the chance were pretty absurd, even Gimple couldn't give an answer when someone asked him why Rick didn't shoot Negan. He also said they only have 8 days to make each episode and it shows.

They look like a bunch of cosplayers running around shooting each other and it's poor, lazy writing and just about the least interesting story they could be telling. 

Negan’s Standing in front of all the heavily armed rebels (or whatever) and no one shoots him, they just let him strut around and shoot his mouth off. It’s especially irritating considering Rick just made a speech about only having to kill one person and it’s over. I know it would effectively end the story line but put him behind a steel wall or whatnot. Last season Carl snuck into the sanctuary to kill Negan, has Him standing in front of him with nothing but his stupid bat and doesn’t shoot him! Gah!

I watch the show out of habit because I used to love it. Now I just like to complain about it to off the people who still think it’s a good show. 

10 hours ago, r100comics said:

now there's ammo everywhere... because who doesn't love bullets and guns  ? and car chases .... that s what we need next.. car chases .... all of a sudden there's gas everywhere as well

10 hours ago, r100comics said:

Scott Gimple’s mishandling of this show will, for future generations, replace “jump the shark” as the term of art used to describe the point at which a show or series was irreparably destroyed. 

They will  call it something like “Got Gimpled”or “Pulled a Gimple” or just “Gimpled”.

For example. “Man, that’s Gimpled” 

Used to love this show in the beginning but eventually gave it up just I did the comic.  I could get back into the comic if the writing improved and they got a new artist. Would love to see Sean Phillips take over all art duty for covers and interiors. Here’s the box art he did for the upcoming Blu-ray release of Night of the Living Dead.

F1A9672D-4FFD-47B1-915F-5761FB0F6A15.jpeg

On 10/25/2017 at 12:30 PM, darkstar said:
On 12/5/2016 at 6:49 PM, Jaydogrules said:

And if we have gotten to a place on these boards where fans /admirers/owners of books/artists/ages, etc. cannot discuss their prized possessions without being accused of "pumping" then we are in a sad and cynical place indeed, and might as well just shut the whole thing down.

Pretty easy to spot the difference between fan threads and pump threads. Take note of how often posts concerning sale prices are advertised compared to you know, actual discussion about the artist's work and collectors showing their books/art.   

It's one thing to discuss prices.

It's entirely different to treat a book like a helicopter economy that only goes up, up, up unrealistically.

And yes, the pumpers are easy to spot and are well known. But they'll never admit it. lol

On 11/3/2017 at 9:29 PM, Mercury Man said:

I don't think it's complaining, and even though it is still the highest rated cable show Sunday night, it is seeing a real decline in viewers"

"According to Nielsen Live+Same Day data, the episode airing on Oct. 29 drew a 4.0 rating in adults 18-49 and 8.9 million viewers. Not only is that a drop of approximately 20 percent in both measures from the Season 8 premiere last Sunday, but it is also the show’s lowest ratings since Season 2. The most comparable episode to this week’s in terms of ratings was Episode 8 of Season 2, which drew a 4.2 and 8.1 million viewers back in 2012."

Part of the stats is that there is more to watch every year.

I agree that the quality of the show has been questionable (for me personally) but I am comparing the show to some of the best in television - my standard is Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, which I consider nearly flawless.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

my standard is Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

Those shows at least are going (or have gone in the case of BB) somewhere.  The Walking Dead is a treadmill of one very similar calamity to the next.  It is no longer compelling. 

On 11/18/2017 at 10:32 PM, Reader said:

Used to love this show in the beginning but eventually gave it up just I did the comic.  I could get back into the comic if the writing improved and they got a new artist. Would love to see Sean Phillips take over all art duty for covers and interiors. Here’s the box art he did for the upcoming Blu-ray release of Night of the Living Dead.

F1A9672D-4FFD-47B1-915F-5761FB0F6A15.jpeg

Love Sean Phillips’ zombie stuff, here is a Walking Dead piece he did a while back for “The Artists of Splash Page Comic Art”:

66_CF291_B_9_A5_D_4_E53_9_E2_F_7_B5_B3_A

1 hour ago, EvilAsh said:

Love Sean Phillips’ zombie stuff, here is a Walking Dead piece he did a while back for “The Artists of Splash Page Comic Art”:

66_CF291_B_9_A5_D_4_E53_9_E2_F_7_B5_B3_A

I’ve seen that before, is that yours?  I love it, compare it to the original splash and there is no contest.