• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

In terms of valuable last issues of a series, would Iron Fist #15 be because its a final issue or because it is an early-ish new X-Men team crossover drawn by Byrne? Also, not an expensive book really. Decent copies can be had for $20-30

Some last issues of a series command money because the print run was low. If memory serves me, the last issue from Marvels Conan run can be hard to find and sometimes expensive. But I think you would be hard pressed to find a final issue valued more than $50. Perhaps in very high grade...

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

I'll give credit to Walking Dead where its due. The show never did anything for me. The comics were good but I got bored around issue 115 or so and never continued on. I just felt like I was never going to get answers, and I just had to accept the fact of a zombie world. I like getting an explanation and hey, maybe it did happen and I missed it.

I also wanted to see the zombies gain or develop some sort of intelligence. I also wanted to see someone get bitten but fight the effects and sort of live as a limbo zombie. I also wanted a cure which, I guess was accomplished in a way in the last issue (again, have not read it but have heard enough people talk about how it ends). Oh and I also was interested to know the scope of the infection. Just the US? All of NA? The world?

If a lot of what I have said has you screaming "these were all answered" or "these happened you fool!" then I guess I need to continue reading.  

They could make a feature length movie (or a set of movies with sequals) surrounding just the cure and how it comes about.

They'd be silly NOT to do something like this.

I haven't watched TWD in a few years. I started to give it around the time Ezekiel showed up.

How is Fear The Walking Dead fairing compared to TWD?

Any news on the longevity of those shows?

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:
1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

I'll give credit to Walking Dead where its due. The show never did anything for me. The comics were good but I got bored around issue 115 or so and never continued on. I just felt like I was never going to get answers, and I just had to accept the fact of a zombie world. I like getting an explanation and hey, maybe it did happen and I missed it.

I also wanted to see the zombies gain or develop some sort of intelligence. I also wanted to see someone get bitten but fight the effects and sort of live as a limbo zombie. I also wanted a cure which, I guess was accomplished in a way in the last issue (again, have not read it but have heard enough people talk about how it ends). Oh and I also was interested to know the scope of the infection. Just the US? All of NA? The world?

If a lot of what I have said has you screaming "these were all answered" or "these happened you fool!" then I guess I need to continue reading.  

They could make a feature length movie (or a set of movies with sequals) surrounding just the cure and how it comes about.

They'd be silly NOT to do something like this.

and if it somehow turned out to be Rick's fault too lol like he through something in the trash and when it ended up at the dump, a chemical annihilation took place :shy: 

On 7/4/2019 at 7:08 PM, wikked said:

It's a square bound book, so plenty of these will end up 9.9s.

Has there ever really been a valuable end of series book? I'm not talking $20... at least $50+, or whatever these goofy speculators are paying for them.

Final issue of GI Joe ... Here is the current 2019 data but the highest paid price was in 2008 when someone paid over $700 for a 9.8.

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 12.33.04 PM.png

On 7/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, Ken Aldred said:

It’s a good thing.

Invincible by Kirkman was, for me, a far superior series that came to a natural and satisfying conclusion with issue 144.

Walking Dead should do the same if the writer feels it’s run its course.  I’m surprised it dragged on as long as it did.

I’ve read both books and I still truly believe that Invincible is the far superior read. It’s sort of an odd start and I think as a result didn’t hook people early on. It’s the much better read though, IMO. TWD just sort of goes in circles. 

Edited by ChrisInBaltimore

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Spoiler

There isn't a cure, they have safe zones that are patrolled and kept clear of any undead.  Carl's own daughter has never seen a walker and she looks to be maybe 6.

34 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I haven't watched TWD in a few years. I started to give it around the time Ezekiel showed up.

Any news on the longevity of those shows?

I watched the first season of Fear only. Lost interest in it very quickly.

I thought they had an amazing opportunity to focus on the changes the "zombie disease" brought to the modern world. A gradual change as people discover the new threat to life and our way of existence instead became an immediate thing.

As an example I enjoyed seeing the students watching the video of the police engaging the "crazy guy on the street", they shot at him multiple times and he didn't go down. Was that real or was it just a cool youtube video upload? Most likely people would think it is faked. Show scenes of a person dying in a hospital and then coming to life and causing some issues. Do the authorities reveal what has happened or is it kept quiet until they can learn more? Most likely it is kept quiet but then more of it is discovered as it spreads. I wanted to see the slowly discovered threat, instead after only a couple of episodes what you have is the same stuff as seen in the Walking Dead but with far less interesting characters and "newer zombies".

Just my opinion.

Edited by Artboy99

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Me too. Only watched a few episodes.

36 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I disliked Fear for much of season 1, mainly because of certain characters that have since passed, Travis specifically.  I feel it is starting to get too fantastical for its own good.  The most recent episode really got a bit much.  They have added in tidbits of the paramilitary force that took Rick, which fine I can "believe".  But the regulars are going outside of what I feel they are capable of doing to the extreme.  This might seal the deal on Fear for me.

I was hoping the Dwight story arc would help but it hasn't yet.  Also adding Morgan, but that hasn't helped much either.  They also placed what could be a great villain then seemingly walked away from it right at the beginning.

Now they are on a path to stop essentially Chernobyl in that area.

To be honest I think it started to go down when they off'd Nick.  I feel he was Fear's "Rick".

2 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

I disliked Fear for much of season 1, mainly because of certain characters that have since passed, Travis specifically.  I feel it is starting to get too fantastical for its own good.  The most recent episode really got a bit much.  They have added in tidbits of the paramilitary force that took Rick, which fine I can "believe".  But the regulars are going outside of what I feel they are capable of doing to the extreme.  This might seal the deal on Fear for me.

I was hoping the Dwight story arc would help but it hasn't yet.  Also adding Morgan, but that hasn't helped much either.  They also placed what could be a great villain then seemingly walked away from it right at the beginning.

Now they are on a path to stop essentially Chernobyl in that area.

To be honest I think it started to go down when they off'd Nick.  I feel he was Fear's "Rick".

As I only saw season one I felt the characters were very weak compared to The Walking Dead.  The most interesting character in season 1 was Victor Strand because he was mysterious and driven. I didn't like what they did with him at all though.

The only other character I liked was Alicia but only because I found her very attractive.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

As I only saw season one I felt the characters were very weak compared to The Walking Dead.  The most interesting character in season 1 was Victor Strand because he was mysterious and driven. I didn't like what they did with him at all though.

The only other character I liked was Alicia but only because I found her very attractive.

They had some good story arcs in the other seasons, getting out of the city was the main focal point initially.  Then they were out on open water for a time on the ship.  Then stuck in a hotel.  Etc....

Strand is currently one I am hoping they off.  Alicia is still around, they have turned her into the show's Carol as best they could.  I like Al, I wish they would focus on her more.  Do more one off episodes of her recorded sessions with people she has met along the way.  I feel right now she is the strongest character.  Morgan is too stuck on his staff or rather losing it.

I missed a chunk of fear when they were in Mexico or whatever, but picked up last season and this. They are driving me nuts trying to be so good, but I still want to watch.

20 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Same here..I barely got through season 1.  Haven't watched it since.  I now record "Walking Dead" and fast forward a lot...seems I don't miss anything important doing this for me anyway.

I was only able to get through the first season and some of the second the boat thing got annoying and boring to me quickly and never watched it back, but I might give it a go back again if it seems to have improved. 

On 7/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, comicginger1789 said:

In terms of valuable last issues of a series, would Iron Fist #15 be because its a final issue or because it is an early-ish new X-Men team crossover drawn by Byrne? Also, not an expensive book really. Decent copies can be had for $20-30

Some last issues of a series command money because the print run was low. If memory serves me, the last issue from Marvels Conan run can be hard to find and sometimes expensive. But I think you would be hard pressed to find a final issue valued more than $50. Perhaps in very high grade...

Correct. And those same last issues weren't selling for big money's right out of the gate. For the most part they were so undesired by collectors that none really knew nor cared about them being last issues.

Which, altogether, is not the case with WD 193

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Correct. And those same last issues weren't selling for big money's right out of the gate. For the most part they were so undesired by collectors that none really knew nor cared about them being last issues.

Which, altogether, is not the case with WD 193

I honestly think folks were not thinking about this stuff in the 70s - early 90s. #1s, hot artists, 1st apps, "rarer" platinum edition, sure, maybe a big story arc... "I'll buy the last issue because the print run is low," not so much....maybe they bought it because the book was going out with  a bang for the last issue (and some last issues were simply set-ups for a re-boot). I got Conan 275 out of a quarter box as a leftover from the rack that did not sell. Great cover, amazing it did not sell out at my old shop just from nostalgia.  IF 15 was worth something because it was Byrne's 1st X-Men work. Maybe Star Wars 107 was selling for a slight premium a few years after it came out? Honestly, I cannot remember. That title was so dead for years, I bought #1s out of $1-$2 boxes. The interweb gives one a better sense of whether something is hard to find. "Rare" last issues, variants, etc. all became more of an issue on the interwebs. When did people start caring en masse about the 30/35 cent variants outside of Star Wars 1?

On 7/3/2019 at 11:19 AM, Buzzetta said:

I went to the LCS just to take a glance at noon.

already sold out 

fools! I said - I do not want to buy it I merely want to thumb through it!

so... we took one out of someone’s pull bag and I thumbed through the last few pages. 

Hide contents

Old Carl is alive and well and telling his daughter about their adventures in the zombie apocalypse.  Read it again his daughter asks... 

should be interesting how they pull that off on the show. 

WTF???

48 minutes ago, the blob said:

I honestly think folks were not thinking about this stuff in the 70s - early 90s. #1s, hot artists, 1st apps, "rarer" platinum edition, sure, maybe a big story arc... "I'll buy the last issue because the print run is low," not so much....maybe they bought it because the book was going out with  a bang for the last issue (and some last issues were simply set-ups for a re-boot). I got Conan 275 out of a quarter box as a leftover from the rack that did not sell. Great cover, amazing it did not sell out at my old shop just from nostalgia.  IF 15 was worth something because it was Byrne's 1st X-Men work. Maybe Star Wars 107 was selling for a slight premium a few years after it came out? Honestly, I cannot remember. That title was so dead for years, I bought #1s out of $1-$2 boxes. The interweb gives one a better sense of whether something is hard to find. "Rare" last issues, variants, etc. all became more of an issue on the interwebs. When did people start caring en masse about the 30/35 cent variants outside of Star Wars 1?

Yup. The titles sold poorly which is the reason why they were cancelled. And I wouldn't know if last issues were spec worthy as they are now, but Chuck Rozanski used to talk about all spec possibilities in his monthly N.I.C.E newsletters as far back as 1988, but then again he would try and sell you on ANYTHING. My thoughts on WD is that it is selling for the exact opposite reason of why final issues sell on the secondary market. Hype.