• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

That being said, the true test for a comic book like this is what will happen to the value thirty years from now? I honestly think most people speculating on this book are going to be really disappointed because out of everyone whom I know who loves the show; very few know it is even based on a comic book! This is not like Superman or Batman; where the comic book drove the 'craze.' This is the television show actually holding its own; that HAPPENS to be based off of a comic book. There is a major difference, that will become clear a few short years after the television show has 'run' its last episode.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I think the true test is what do you expect to be the value between when you own it and when you might want to get rid of it. I think there's a whole class of collectors who only really think about what the book's worth now and whether that matches their desire to own it currently.

For instance, if I had waited 30 years, I could've snagged a higher graded copy of New Teen Titans #1 for less money that I paid 30 years ago. But I think the $5 extra I spent was worth the time I've had it to enjoy.

I would agree. However, judging by what the original poster asked; I think he or she may be interested in long term financial value as well. There are plenty of items I own that I just buy without any regard for the future collectivity of the market or the item in question (example: the newer Nintendo 3DS XL system and NEW Super Mario Bros. 2). I wanted to play the game and wanted the newer bigger sized system. I could care less what it is worth in the future, because as a video game dealer I already know. It will never be worth more than what I payed for it now; and most likely if I sold it in the future, I would take a 'bath' on it. It is an entertainment device, and I know this.

That being said, I bought it without hesitation. The individual poster more than likely does not want to get 'hosed' on their purchase; over the long term. I can't say I blame him (or her). This item has been selling for an 'obscene amount' for some time now. It also has all the warning signs of being speculative (newer manuafctured item that accelerates in price way too fast).

Just my opinion. This is another one of those scenerios where 'time will tell.'

Experience tells me that anyone wanting to buy should wait until AFTER the show loses steam and goes off the air; and then strike a year or two later; if not more.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Thanks mint. I am looking at purchasing a large run of back issues and can see my money going down the crapper. But I am buying them for personal enjoyment so a small loss would be ok. But noone ever wants to take a bath on stuff.

Also I am male and excuse all my spelling errors typing on a phone is difficult.

I doubt it, Its getting better big fan base... Mich is gonna be on this season.. killed off some characters to bring in new ones. this season will be very interesting :)... govenor.. Its gonna get bigger remember the prices after season 3 ended. :)..

have fun all, this is gonna be a fun ride..

I have always liked the zombie folk and was thrilled when the walking dead came to TV as an ongoing show. I have been reading the walking dead since issue 40 or so, for me the stories are sometimes slow but when they pick up the pace it is intense to say the least. I am hoping the show will last for a few more years and the comic for a couple more decades. Will the cast in the comic age as the years go, because Carl looks the same as in issue 1. Anyway love the show and I enjoy a good zombie kill. I have the complete run and have had none of my books graded, I think about it and one day I might get the entire lot graded only if they come back 9.8 :devil:retirement funds :headbang:

Edited by reptilekingdie

I doubt it, Its getting better big fan base... Mich is gonna be on this season.. killed off some characters to bring in new ones. this season will be very interesting :)... govenor.. Its gonna get bigger remember the prices after season 3 ended. :)..

Long term all television shows should end. After that time frame, several years after, should be the best time to buy.

Long term all television shows should end. After that time frame, several years after, should be the best time to buy.

Yep!

I expect the bubble will deflate a bit, but not burst, once the tv show's popularity wanes/ends. The concept/tv show/book are simply too engrained in pop culture at this point imo, and it evolved organically over the course of a decade.

I don't know, I see this phenomenon leaning more towards the Star Trek and TMNT side of pop culture (always a demand) than, say, the Valiant or G.I. Joe side of it (definite bubble burst after speculation ended).

I also see Walking Dead as THE definitive book of this comic era, which I think will help maintain its popularity for comic collectors.

Edited by dane323

I don't know when the bubble will burst, but issue 100 definitely jumped the shark.

With the event in that issue why would anyone invest any emotion or time in any character from this point forward?

But Richie, what good would the comic be without the tension of knowing that your favourite character could die any issue? If you knew your favourite character was invincible, in a post apocalyptic world, would the book even be worth reading?

Jim

It really is kinda nuts right now

The last CGC 9.8, 9.6, and 9.4 GPA for Walking Dead #1 all went for GPA records highs. :o

$1750 for 9.8

Anyone who buys this issue for 'investment' at these price levels is either completely stupid or just plain insane. That being said, if they are buying it because they like the item and don't care about the fact that within three to five years this book may sell for half this amount (or even less); rock on!

Just don't try to convince yourself that it is an 'investment' when buying it at those crazy prices. Heck. last time I checked on this book it was $1250 tops. The ONLY people making money on this book right now are those looking for a quick 'flip.' That is where the money is with this book.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

It really is kinda nuts right now

The last CGC 9.8, 9.6, and 9.4 GPA for Walking Dead #1 all went for GPA records highs. :o

$1750 for 9.8

Anyone who buys this issue for 'investment' at these price levels is either completely stupid or just plain insane. That being said, if they are buying it because they like the item and don't care about the fact that within three to five years this book may sell for half this amount (or even less); rock on!

Just don't try to convince yourself that it is an 'investment' when buying it at those crazy prices. Heck. last time I checked on this book it was $1250 tops. The ONLY people making money on this book right now are those looking for a quick 'flip.' That is where the money is with this book.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Or people that know how to find them raw in HG away from the vultures and onsite them for an receive an 9.8 grade at certain conventions. :shy:

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

But Richie, what good would the comic be without the tension of knowing that your favourite character could die any issue? If you knew your favourite character was invincible, in a post apocalyptic world, would the book even be worth reading?

Jim

But it is a fantasy story. And the characters are what readers attach themselves to. If the central characters all die there is nothing left.

Jim

But it is a fantasy story. And the characters are what readers attach themselves to. If the central characters all die there is nothing left.

I agree for the most part. Though I do think a death can certainly shake things up. I can still remember how I felt when Marvel Girl / Phoenix died in X-MEN 137 or Guardian bought it in Alpha Flight 12.

Jim

Then the story ends. I don't think Walking Dead is supposed to last 70 years without anyone aging. I like the fact that I don't know how the issue will end when I crack it open. It doesn't have to be through character death, but in a zombie comic it's going to be most likely. I just don't care when I can look at the cover of the comic and say "Fighting for 20 pages, nobody has a scratch on them at the end of the issue." and be right.

I recently read all 100 issues for the first time in a week and from my perspective, issue 100s death was just part of the entire storyline. I was watching main characters die over and over... so I had the sense that the original characters would all disappear at whatever point in the story Kirkman chose.

and it wasnt a wasted death. it illustrated the danger Dagen poses to Rick, as well as Ricks overconfidence leading into that issue. It was the first time he was really feeing like he had the "new reality" figured out, both the zombie AND human dangers.

THIS new threat will harden him for good, maybe turn him into an unlikable character... Which will make it easier for us when its HIS time to go.

I think Kirkman want WD to be different from other hero character series. The kind you are talking about where all the heroes are always gonna be around. Even in a zombie apocalypse world... does that sound realistic to you? The anarchic world Kirkman sees rings pretty real to me. People are the real monsters!