• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boy Comics
3 3

278 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Grail alert!!!

:whee::whee::whee::whee:

My girlfriend bought this for me for my birthday!

jqiGmXp.jpg

71mTj7U.jpg

My girlfriend is the best. <3:cloud9:

This is the copy Metropolis has had up for sale for awhile as a 7.0. hm This is a bit outside my comfort zone for grading. Structurally, it's really nice. Small chiip/tear at top and bottom of spine, one small tear top edge fc, and some small, off "teeth marks" on both the front and back covers up near the top edge in the middle. Not sure what caused that exactly - salad tongs?

However, as you can see there's a dust shadow, which is pronounced on the front upper right corner, and on the back along the top edge. The inside of the cover also has extensive tanning, fairly deep. Pages seem supple enough, but are maybe cream at best. 

Without the dust shadow and tanning I might call this an 8? With it though, I dunno. What do you guys think?

At some point I'm going to get this graded, for insurance purposes if for nothing else. I have just read it, because there's nothing like reading the original :grin: and I have the reprint in #30 of course. 

Now I just need to find a #4 to finish the run!

Hurray!!

Reveal hidden contents

Wow!  Nice book!  Your description of the marks on the top of the book is consistent with a copy that was hung up at the newsstand for display, usually with a clothes pin or other clip.  If you look at some of the photos on this thread, does that make sense?  Just curious.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/118924-1939-newsstand-pic-time-machine-journey-into-the-past/?page=81

What a great cover!

Edited by Randall Dowling

Thanks for the info about the teeth marks, that would not have occurred to me, but it makes sense. I actually like it - it's cool, adds some history and provenance the book. It's not quite a date stamp, but it'll do! :grin:

Case #1001 was the first entry in an ongoing backup series detailing the "true" stories of boys gone bad. It only ran a few issues. This first story is about a kid who became a violent crime boss, only then he fell in love, and when the girl got hurt during a robbery gone wrong, he turned himself in to the coppers. 

Here it is!

The big moment!

After over 10 years, I finally completed my run of Boy Comics!

Here was the last issue I need, no real surprise. This copy was bouncing around ebay for a couple months before I finally bought it. Like many copies of this issue, it's missing the centerfold, so I didn't want to pay too much for this copy, but eventually the price dropped enough for it to be in my wheelhouse. 

Hurray!!

:cloud9::banana:

Ap52P6h.jpg

When I have a chance, I will try to get some group shots with the completed run!

I've been posting about this for while over in my journal, but I wanted to just share something real quick with everyone. 

Some of you may remember that five years back, I mentioned I was planning to self publish my own revival of Crimebuster. I worked on a few pages of that, but it just wasn't working out the way I wanted, so I eventually stopped.

I didn't give up, though!

I've been working on the story, and on my art, and for the last 6 months, I've been toiling away writing and drawing the first issue of a new series starring Crimebuster. I just love the character, and if nobody else is going to do new stories for me to read, I guess I'll have to do them myself! The series is called The Crimebusters, and its a mystery adventure series in the tradition of Scooby Doo, featuring  Crimebuster and his new partner, intrepid girl reporter Trixie Trouble. I should have the first issue done in April, and will be going to Kickstarter at the beginning of June, and you can read a sneak preview of the first six pages on the Crimebusters website right now

Here's a look at the splash page, where I tried to keep the Golden Age flavor with the half splash, and also the traditional morality speech at the start of the issue in the Charles Biro style:

zbvGIhg.jpg

I'm also incorporating a lot of stuff from the original Boy Comics run. I'm continuing the numbering, of course, so my first issue will be #120. I am also picking up on the continuity from the original series. At the end of #119, Chuck was in the second semester of his sophomore year of college, in the spring of 1956. In my first issue, he's starting his junior year of college in the fall of 1956, and I am bringing back the supporting cast from the Curtiss Tech stories in #107-119, including Stu, Jabbo, Weenie Dinkle, Alex, and others. 

I am introducing a new partner, Trixie Trouble. As a kid, I was a huge fan of teen detective novels, like the Three Investigators and, of course, Trixie Belden. I wanted to bring in that feel to the stories, which I think fits perfectly with Chuck's college adventures. I also wanted to give him a human partner to have conversations with — and arguments. Chuck got off easy in the first 117 issues because monkeys can't argue back!

I haven't forgotten about Squeeks, though, as the first issue will have a four page Squeeks solo backup story showing what Squeeks is up to back in New York while Chuck is off at college. 

And I will definitely be keeping Boy Comics alive! I don't have it done yet, but this issue — and any future issues I hopefully will do — will have a Boy Comics variant cover featuring a classic Boy Comics logo, and action in the Charles Biro style. (I do think updating the title to The Crimebusters is in keeping with Biro's way of constantly tweaking the series, though; he was already in the process of changing the title from Boy Comics to Chuck Chandler at Curtiss Tech when the book was cancelled, so this is just the next evolution.)

Anyway, that's it! I'll probably mention it again when my Kickstarter goes live in June, but otherwise, I hope some of you find this interesting. Thanks!

1590401317_coversmall.jpg.51e40c095025c7e60c80bde14ae4b101.jpg