• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boy Comics
3 3

278 posts in this topic

So, I'm excited to announce that this project is now live on Kickstarter!

It's been over 10 years since I first conceived of the idea of reviving Chuck Chandler and Boy Comics, so it's been a long time coming. But after a ton of hard work, it's finally here!

As I've mentioned before, I have decided to publish this under the title The Crimebusters, and I eventually decided that some versions of the issue would carry a new #1 for new readers. But others versions still have the #120 legacy numbering, and I made sure to have a Boy Comics variant sporting the classic Boy Comics logo and Chuck in full Golden Age action. After all, that was the whole point when I started!

Here's a look at all four covers:

1474904556_coverssquare.thumb.jpg.809a03113ddd099eb40bf755a9b06ea7.jpg

For the Kickstarer campaign, I really wanted to come up with some fun rewards. Probably my favorite reward — and the one I think you guys will appreciate more than anybody else — is the Crimebusters Fan Club Membership Kit.

I've tried really hard with this to capture the feel of those old school fan clubs that were all the rage in the 40's and 50's, and have modeled many of the items after classic fan club stuff.

In each membership kit you get the following:

• a welcome letter from Chuck and Trixie 
• an official certificate of membership signed by both Chuck and Trixie 
• an 8x10 print of Chuck and Trixie suitable for hanging in your treehouse 
• a Junior Crimebuster badge 
• a replica of Trixie's school newspaper press pass 
• a pair of Crimebusters stickers to decorate your casefiles 
• and The Crimebusters Secret Decoder Book!

1235155850_fanclubkit.jpg.32e0f1a1da468b837e1c7bfb8908829f.jpg

The certificate of membership is an homage to the original Supermen of America membership certificate that DC gave to members back in 1939:

532434882_fanclub2.thumb.jpg.f68fe737065171ac446adfabef106f60.jpg

And you Golden Age fans will probably also recognize the inscriptions on the pin-up — they are taken from the back cover pin-up from Batman #1:

pinup.thumb.jpg.416daee623b71d1d8456fa3ab77899ae.jpg

The Junior Crimebuster Badge, of course, is an homage to all those little metal badges that they used to give out. I couldn't find a vendor that did that sort of die-cast work, so mine is just a regular button, but I hope it captures the idea — I put the star behind Chuck to sort of emulate the sheriff badge idea.

And Trixie's Press Pass sort of takes the place of a membership card.

Probably the best part, though, is the decoder book. I didn't know how to make a decoder ring, otherwise I would have. But the decoder book isn't just an homage to that idea. In every issue, there will be messages encoded in one of several weird languages; if you are in the Fan Club and have a Decoder Book, you'll be able to decipher these to get bonus clues, or teases about upcoming stories or characters. I am also going to be including coded messages to Fan Club members in newsletter emails. I'm really happy with this, it's a lot of fun, and I hope someone else appreciate this as well!

Anyway, thanks for reading and supporting this project through the years! Here's the link again if anybody is interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thecrimebusters/the-crimebusters-a-mystery-adventure-into-the-supernatural?ref=3mskzg

Edited by Crimebuster

13 hours ago, Black Bat said:

Love iron jaw but can’t deal with that freaking monkey. 

I know I'm in the distinct minority, but I've never been a big fan of Iron Jaw. Some of the early stories with him are good, and certainly shocking, and he had a great visual design. In general, though, I think the series got better after they killed him off in #15. And it distinctly got worse after they brought him back in #60. It got very tedious watching Chuck chase Iron Jaw around every single issue, and then once they turned Iron Jaw into a comedic character paired with Sniffer, the series really hit bottom. A lot of those Iron Jaw - Sniffer stories from around #83-up are almost unreadable. 

Just wanted to post one final reminder, if anybody is interested in getting a copy of the Boy Comics #120 variant from my Kickstarter, the campaign ends in less than 48 hours, so now's the time! And if not, no worries. I am not printing a lot of these, though, so once they're gone it will be gone. Here's another look at it — as you can see, I decided to do an homage to Captain America Comics #3:

72185471_BoyComicsVariant.jpg.c3304e0d8154132536934b9d5e570dbf.jpg

Thanks for the support, everyone!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thecrimebusters/the-crimebusters-a-mystery-adventure-into-the-supernatural?ref=3mskzg

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I searched under my sold tab

Ha, well I guess that's different.

Is there an easy way to search sold items on CC? You can view a complete listing, but then it appears you need to dig through all of the records to find the items you're looking for.

6 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Can’t wait for my copy!!!! I’m so excited for you bro so wonderful to see all that passion and hard work pay off!! Plus who are we kidding that homage cover is SICK!!!!

Thanks, I appreciate the support! The printer had some kind of snafu and forgot to send any copies of two of the variants, so it's going to be a little while longer before I can send the books out. But hopefully in the next couple of weeks!

32 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Thanks, I appreciate the support! The printer had some kind of snafu and forgot to send any copies of two of the variants, so it's going to be a little while longer before I can send the books out. But hopefully in the next couple of weeks!

No rush brother good things come to those who wait!! As someone who tracks down only the rarest of comics patience is one my greatest virtues 🙌😊 I’m psyched to give er’ a read!!

On 7/17/2019 at 11:34 AM, Crimebuster said:

I was away and unfortunately missed the run out date :( Anyway I can still contribute,get my quills on any issues?Amazing stuff sir,big awesome grats!

9 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I was away and unfortunately missed the run out date :( Anyway I can still contribute,get my quills on any issues?Amazing stuff sir,big awesome grats!

Sure! I have a few copies left and am in the process of setting up an online store on my website; once I have it up and running, I'll shoot you a message. Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it!