• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the 1st Full Darkseid?

39 posts in this topic

As far as i'm aware none of these books have it written on the CGC label. Jimmy Olsen 134 says "1st Darkseid Cameo". Jimmy Olsen 135 says "Darkseid Cameo" but that came before Forever People 1 which says "2nd Darkseid Cameo"?

In Jimmy Olsen 134 he's only in one panel and he's colored wrong so what's the first full Darkseid?

DarkseidJO134pg22_sml.jpg

December 1970:

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen (1954) #134

January 1971:

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen (1954) #135 - 'Evil Factory!'

Feb/Mar 1971:

Forever People (1971) #1 - 'In Search Of A Dream!'

The New Gods (1971) #1 - 'Orion Fights For Earth'

March 1971:

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen (1954) #136 - 'The Saga of the D.N. Aliens'

Apr/May 1971:

Forever People (1971) #2 - 'Super War!'

The New Gods (1971) #2 - 'O' Deadly Darkseid'

Jun/Jul 1971:

Forever People (1971) #3 - 'Live Vs. Anti-Life!'

Aug/Sep 1971:

Forever People (1971) #4

The New Gods (1971) #4 - 'O'Ryan Gang And The Deep Six'

http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=277

CGC got it wrong. Darkseid is in 2 panels in JO 135, so that's the 2nd cameo. In FP 1 he is on 7 panels spread over 4 pages and has an extended conversation with Superman and the Infinity Man. I think that qualifies for a full appearance.

New Gods #1 appeared well after Forever People #1. I believe Kirby had a cadence of every 3 weeks a new issue of Forever People / New Gods / Mr. Miracle came out. Jimmy Olsen was scattered in between. The order was always FP, then NG, then Mr. M.

I found an old post here that touched on this:

I figure this is about as good a place as any: Where's Darkseid's first "full" appearance? He makes a few cameo appearances (first in Jimmy Olsen #134, then Forever People #1.)

Darkseid's only appearance in JO 134:

41862-1stDarkseid.jpg

Darkseid's only appearance in JO 135:

41863-2ndDarkseid.jpg

His first "full" appearance is in FP #1: 7 panels over 4 pages. The first few are like these: a face on a picture phone. But the latter few panels have him live, in the flesh, speaking with Superman and the Infinity Man.

I know Overstreet has FP #1 and New Gods #1 "tied," but FP #1 came out a couple of weeks earlier than New Gods, and Darkseid only appears in the final (but memorable) page of New Gods #1.

I tried doing it from memory.  Up to the first issue of New Gods I could only remember a few panels and a splash page, here and there.  Nothing as substantial as, say, the introduction of Thanos in IM 55. Understandable, though, in order to make Darkseid more a primal, behind-the-scenes manipulator of events.

Wolverine, Sgt. Rock, Rick Grimes, and now Dardseid?

They are comic books not nuclear arms control talks. Why is this so difficult. If only DC had know. We would have had Wonder Woman and Green Arrow on the cover of their first appearance. We would have had a banner on Jimmy Olsen 134 declaring- "Don't miss the collectors issue first appearance of Darkseid."

Wow. Could someone explain to me how much it takes to constitute a "full appearance"? Jimmy Olsen 135 fits the bill in my opinion.

Does it take a "crotch shot" to make it so?

No, wait. There was one of those in Hulk 180, so that ain't it.

More than 1 page.

Wolverine, Sgt. Rock, Rick Grimes, and now Dardseid?

They are comic books not nuclear arms control talks. Why is this so difficult. If only DC had know. We would have had Wonder Woman and Green Arrow on the cover of their first appearance. We would have had a banner on Jimmy Olsen 134 declaring- "Don't miss the collectors issue first appearance of Darkseid."

No, that wouldn't work.  You're missing a poly bag and trading card. And the extra incentive of collecting coupons for a sendaway copy of Darkseid issue 0.

Old books hyper-analysed by obsessive-compulsive comic geeks? That's never happened before. :)

Wow. Could someone explain to me how much it takes to constitute a "full appearance"? Jimmy Olsen 135 fits the bill in my opinion.

More than 1 page.

Then why is xmen annual 14 a cameo for Gambit? He's like in 8 pages.

More than 1 page.

Then why is xmen annual 14 a cameo for Gambit? He's like in 8 pages.

Been a long time since i flipped through annual 14 but you might have a point there.

Based on ebay sales pricing the collecting community treats 134 like a lot more than just a cameo to be priced at less than the "first full" appearance though. I remember what a brute it was selling a slabbed 8.5 forever people 1 for anything approaching guide and recent ebay sales seem to show that is still the case, while 134 does pretty well.

that, of course, is irrelevant to the question.

I kindah feel like 135 is "full enough". We see him in 2 panels and his word balloon is in another, but who am i to judge?

The annual 14 takes place after xmen-266 , it was less than a month, and the UXA said see x-men 266 om the book.

Annual was July 1990

http://marvel.wikia.com/Uncanny_X-Men_Annual_Vol_1_1990

266 late August

http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/13807/uncanny_x-men_1963_266

Was 266 delayed?

The annual 14 takes place after xmen-266 , it was less than a month, and the UXA said see x-men 266 om the book.

Annual was July 1990

http://marvel.wikia.com/Uncanny_X-Men_Annual_Vol_1_1990

266 late August

http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/13807/uncanny_x-men_1963_266

Was 266 delayed?

Probably just a simple case of really poor planning. hm