• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sold!!

120 posts in this topic

You people do realize that actual humans print, handle, pack, ship these things right? I have worked with printers and print shops before and there is always an overrun to account for wasted copies during setup and also to cover any errors along the way not to mention a few copies each for the printers themselves. My experience has been with much smaller runs but the overrun is usually about ten percent, I'm not sure what it is with books and I make no claims to that knowledge but suffice it to say that the few copies that have surfaced so far may very well be the tip of the iceberg.

Long story short, Image has CGC grader account for 500 copies (490?) of the signed WD 100 uber special variant. These were sent to retailers with the understanding that they could be sent in once purchased from your LCS, to CGC. Strange way around the CGC SS procedure, but if it was done and understood by both partiest, whatevs, but still sketch. You or I cannot receive a sig and then submit after the fact. It's immediate. But i digress.

CGC acknowledged that 10 copies had not been signed. No one really knew what that meant, but that definitely left the possibility of someone snagging one, faking a sig, then sending it in for CGC SS.

Then, this dude cames along with FIVE COPIES UNSIGNED. Which, sure there could be 5 left unsigned and that's it. But i doubt it. So, there may be others that aren't signed that CGC doesn't know about, which opens them up to forgery scrutiny, all because they wanted to do something that was special and nice and this is why we can't have nice things.

the only thing I'd add to the people saying this person popped up with five copies is that this seller has had at least six copies of this book unsigned. (one sold on ebay, and five for sale now)

must be nice to have friends that is for sure regardless of where he got them!

We had one of the signed copies in the store which we sold within two hours. ( I think it was probably the first copy to reach the UK). The fact that CGC were standing behind this was a factor in making the sale.

It would be a PR disaster if a program to reward retailers should come back on those same retailers.

Somebody from Image/Skybound or CGC needs to say something official about this sooner rather than later.

As others have said, it would be literally impossible to print exactly 500 copies of this. Image would seem to have some responsibility to ensure that the overprints were strictly controlled.

Oh, and no way to remove the sig without it showing on the book IMHO.

You people do realize that actual humans print, handle, pack, ship these things right? I have worked with printers and print shops before and there is always an overrun to account for wasted copies during setup and also to cover any errors along the way not to mention a few copies each for the printers themselves. My experience has been with much smaller runs but the overrun is usually about ten percent, I'm not sure what it is with books and I make no claims to that knowledge but suffice it to say that the few copies that have surfaced so far may very well be the tip of the iceberg.

You're spot on there.

I'm a printer and I can tell you that on a book with a print run of 500 there would be at least 50 extra given to the customer and at least 150 or so extras printed. With larger print runs there would be a much larger percentage of extra copies ran.

It's not uncommon at all to grab copies of things that I like and take them home.

In my opinion, more copies of the unsigned book will surface. $700 is crazy money. I wouldn't normally comment on peoples asking prices but because the OP put this in the wrong thread I think its fair game.

Long story short, Image has CGC grader account for 500 copies (490?) of the signed WD 100 uber special variant. These were sent to retailers with the understanding that they could be sent in once purchased from your LCS, to CGC. Strange way around the CGC SS procedure, but if it was done and understood by both partiest, whatevs, but still sketch. You or I cannot receive a sig and then submit after the fact. It's immediate. But i digress.

CGC acknowledged that 10 copies had not been signed. No one really knew what that meant, but that definitely left the possibility of someone snagging one, faking a sig, then sending it in for CGC SS.

Then, this dude cames along with FIVE COPIES UNSIGNED. Which, sure there could be 5 left unsigned and that's it. But i doubt it. So, there may be others that aren't signed that CGC doesn't know about, which opens them up to forgery scrutiny, all because they wanted to do something that was special and nice and this is why we can't have nice things.

the only thing I'd add to the people saying this person popped up with five copies is that this seller has had at least six copies of this book unsigned. (one sold on ebay, and five for sale now)

Plus the 3 unsigned spotted at Fan Expo over the weekend, plus the copies that Midtown apparently have. So that not only sounds like more than six, it sounds like it is now beyond the 10 known unsigned slabbed copies. So these couldn't be accounted for simply by cracking the known 10 blue labels.

Way to singlehandedly undermine the whole fcking CGC Sig Series.

Also good way to not make the most money out of it that you could by say slowly leaking 1 every couple months.

First...

kool-aid-man.jpg

Secondly, this really feels like the thread to be hanging out in today.

Popcorn_02_Stephen_Colbert.gif

Plus the 3 unsigned spotted at Fan Expo over the weekend, plus the copies that Midtown apparently have. So that not only sounds like more than six, it sounds like it is now beyond the 10 known unsigned slabbed copies. So these couldn't be accounted for simply by cracking the known 10 blue labels.

Midtown's are signed.

Lots of really nice bootlegs going around also for issue 100...

Not saying this is, but some really high quality work out there down to the back cover ad and UPCs...

Orly?

Also good way to not make the most money out of it that you could by say slowly leaking 1 every couple months.

maybe your right... but in the grand scheme of things Im just trying to connect people to their passions.. I'll let someone else take advantage of opportunities in the market..

I have more stuff than I can sell at this point.. So i'd rather use this thread to meet people who not only want all of these together but all the other crazy stuff I'll be getting in the future.. I dont really have time for that sort of power

Not saying this is, but some really high quality work out there down to the back cover ad and UPCs...

:popcorn:

i've seen nothing but BAD bootlegs online.. when you have real copies the fake ones become so obvious.. always do your research when purchasing something that takes such an emotional investment.. otherwise you have no one to blame but yourself

:popcorn:

i've seen nothing but BAD bootlegs online.. when you have real copies the fake ones become so obvious.. always do your research when purchasing something that takes such an emotional investment.. otherwise you have no one to blame but yourself

Bingo! Which is why you're causing such a stir. ;)

People are trying to do their research by asking you (the seller) directly where these came from. But you are refusing to answer. That tells me to avoid you, and it's more likely your copies are counterfeit rather than legit copies taken from the printer before CGC counted how many they had. If they are legit copies taken why not just say so? Cause if it's to keep it on the down low to protect whoever took them, you sank that ship with your eBay auction and posts here. (shrug)

It's very simple...CGC HAS to change policy right now and make it a Green Label book immediately. :sumo:

The book is only three business days old, none have been graded yet. Please CGC put them in Green Labels, not for me but for people like Sean Harmon, and JJ, and Mike Schmidt, who have more time and money invested in the program. Please :foryou:

Jim

maybe your right... but in the grand scheme of things Im just trying to connect people to their passions.. I'll let someone else take advantage of opportunities in the market..

I have more stuff than I can sell at this point.. So i'd rather use this thread to meet people who not only want all of these together but all the other crazy stuff I'll be getting in the future.. I dont really have time for that sort of power

Well that's one way of putting it I suppose...

Can't believe nobody has called you out on this bs yet :lol:

You got $700 for the first one because people (wrongly) assumed it was a freak of a nature - a 1 of 1 book. If you had put up a picture of the 5 other copies you own, bidding would never have gone that high because it's now fairly obvious that there's a stack of these unsigned copies in the wild. You & I both know that this book has nowhere to go but down, so the smart move is get your books offloaded fast - which is exactly what you're trying to do here :thumbsup: