• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALERT! bijoubaby05 now selling on EBAY as "all things comics" and "comix_code"
2 2

117 posts in this topic

I love a good "devil's advocate" argument as much as the next guy. But I don't think this is hill you want to die on. The seller has been shown to be a scammer in the past. No reason to think anything has changed. Further, just like with Hammer, there's merit to warning people even on the ones where there might not be anything explicitly wrong. If you support people like this, you help them get the funds for other scams.

Transplant, I agree with you. I am not saying, nor did I ever, that this guy is a trustworthy seller. All I'm saying, from the very start, is that THIS particular listing ... at least to me... I can't find anything wrong with it.

But, so what? I can assure it comes across as you defending this guy. Again, so what if this one auction is arguably on the up and up?

But, so what? I can assure it comes across as you defending this guy. Again, so what if this one auction is arguably on the up and up?

Wasn't discussing the seller, but the auction.

However, point taken.

You do realize that book is raw right? What does a scanner being able to do CGC scans have to do with this book.

I was in the process of migrating an Oracle DB as I was typing and in hindsight, there was a slight mixup. Not a CGC book in question, correct. Nonetheless, to each his own as to how listings are to be represented.

I have sold raw books in the past and preferred taking pics to scanning them for fear of mishandle placing or removing the books from the scanner.

In the end, you are probably right...there is little reason to believe this fellow has changed his scamming ways.

You do realize that book is raw right? What does a scanner being able to do CGC scans have to do with this book.

I was in the process of migrating an Oracle DB..

Ah a DBA should have guessed, they drive me crazy at work too. :grin:

OK...one of the latest from all_things_comics...

Purchased restored VG- JIM 83 from Harley Yee for $1200 on 9/11...

Note faint handwritten name on cover above MYSTERY...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOURNEY-INTO-MYSTERY-83-1962-VG-1200-RESTORED-/230850413586?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35bfc1c412&nma=true&si=jLJ%2FeFYnUNCG6oDMgtGSdDDMLs0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

upgraded [alot...to 6.5 :o ] and selling less than one week later for $2100... :boo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-Into-Mystery-83-Vol-1-1962-1st-Appearance-Thor-Fine-6-5-/261099956968?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ccac52ae8

He did his best to make that signature on the front cover hard to detect, but.....this is the same book. And notice as well he mentions no hand-writing on the cover... :facepalm:

Each person's grading is subjective. Yee's VG- is this guy's 6.5. He is giving the grade he thinks the book deserves ( I am giving this comic a grade of Fine+ 6.5 ). It's up to buyers to judge from the scans if they agree/disagree with said grade. He has provided quite a few.

Not sure about the effort made at concealing the signature either. Sig on the book is faint to start, but pic #2 that he provided evidences it.

He has disclosed the resto.

Don't want to play devil's advocate. This guy is probably the piece of everyone paints him to be. Nonetheless, for this particular auction I just don't see it (shrug)

I'm just providing information...Harley Yee is a pretty respected grader/dealer...I've bought raw books off Harley at Cons and in all cases the books sent to CGC came back as either spot-on grade-wise or within 0.5 grade.

You wanna pay 6.5 price that is certainly your choice.

The handwriting on the cover is pretty subtle and could easily be missed by many bidders...of course when they got the book in hand they could be surprised/unhappy and look to return the book but what a hassle.

And come on...if anyone tried to not fully point out the handwriting on the cover on a sale here on the boards they'd be run out so fast it'd be like the Flash on speed...

Not so sure about that one. I've seen a fair number of listings in sales threads that "let the scan do the talking," which is to say they did not point out writing, apparently rusty staples, tears, etc. that might have been overlooked by a bidder who failed to scrutinize the scan closely enough. Not saying it's necessarily a shady practice, but it happens and people are rarely called out for it -- unless they are newbies.

Of course most sellers here that would do that provide good scans (like the original seller of the book did) not pictures taken from strange angles designed to hide imperfections.

Good point. (thumbs u

Of course most sellers here that would do that provide good scans (like the original seller of the book did) not pictures taken from strange angles designed to hide imperfections.

Right. Strange angle... completely obfuscated the writing.

As compared to:

2012September11_009.jpg

Yes, it is a strange angle that hides the writing.

This view also brings out the moisture damage or whatever it is in the middle of the book.

As compared to:

2012September11_009.jpg

This view also brings out the moisture damage or whatever it is in the middle of the book.

and its not like he couldnt have just screen grabbed this scan so he could use it in his resale since he doesnt have a scanner (my assumption since he just takes photos) so he made a conscious decision to use his type of photos for whatever intent that may be...

I was in the process of migrating an Oracle DB..

Ah a DBA should have guessed, they drive me crazy at work too. :grin:

Actually not a DBA, but a Engineer. Gotta work with the DBAs on occasion though :eek:

As compared to:

2012September11_009.jpg

that book sold today for $1800. :gossip:

As compared to:

2012September11_009.jpg

that book sold today for $1800. :gossip:

:o Interesting how profitable crooked behaviour can be...at least in the short term... :devil:

However, point taken.

The seller is the most important part of the auction. This guy has a history of hiding restoration and bumping up the grade. I can see a seller disagreeing with the grade of a book he bought but this seller always grades the book much higher. It's his MO and that makes this auction more of the same dishonest behavior.

However, point taken.

The seller is the most important part of the auction. This guy has a history of hiding restoration and bumping up the grade. I can see a seller disagreeing with the grade of a book he bought but this seller always grades the book much higher. It's his MO and that makes this auction more of the same dishonest behavior.

Agreed Dave :hi:

Pattern of deceit is well-established... :sumo:

When that 6.5 purchaser gets that wavy cover in hand oh won't they be pleased... :tonofbricks:doh!