• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALERT! bijoubaby05 now selling on EBAY as "all things comics" and "comix_code"
2 2

117 posts in this topic

And notice as well he mentions no hand-writing on the cover... :facepalm:

looks like he follows your posts pretty regularly...

You posted at 8:18 and within an hour his listing has been edited to not include the no hand-writing part of the description...

though I cant see in the revision history any note about the description change... maybe it was in the title (which was changed)

where are you seeing this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&_trksid=p2047675.l2569&rt=nc&item=261099956968

(shrug) huh? Where am I seeing what?

I see the link, and I see the revision history page (showing changes to the Title and the shipping.... oooooohhh wait *light just came on*

you mean the timing right? there are no edits in the time frame that I mentioned... got it... (typing and realization all in realtime)

Im confused because trmoore made the mention that the listing "mentions no hand-writing on the cover... " but I dont see that in the listing anywhere... so I assumed that the seller (who in the past has been aware of these type of threads) had changed the listing to avoid being caught in an act of deception... but I see your point, he hasnt edited anything but the title... so TR was that where the "mentions no handwriting on the cover" was?

Not sure what is being asked...I didn't say the listing said "no handwriting on cover"... :makepoint: I said he does not mention/disclose that there is handwriting on the cover.

Not sure what is being asked...I didn't say the listing said "no handwriting on cover"... :makepoint: I said he does not mention/disclose that there is handwriting on the cover.

Indeed. But he then provides scan #2 ( with a focus on the top half of the cover) that evidences the signature...

I have seen auction houses list books with Date Stamps / Writings on cover with no mention of such. Scans provided however, evidence these things.

Again, I'm not defending the guy. Just saying I can't see willful deceipt in this particular auction...

OK...one of the latest from all_things_comics...

Purchased restored VG- JIM 83 from Harley Yee for $1200 on 9/11...

Note faint handwritten name on cover above MYSTERY...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOURNEY-INTO-MYSTERY-83-1962-VG-1200-RESTORED-/230850413586?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35bfc1c412&nma=true&si=jLJ%2FeFYnUNCG6oDMgtGSdDDMLs0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

upgraded [alot...to 6.5 :o ] and selling less than one week later for $2100... :boo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-Into-Mystery-83-Vol-1-1962-1st-Appearance-Thor-Fine-6-5-/261099956968?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ccac52ae8

He did his best to make that signature on the front cover hard to detect, but.....this is the same book. And notice as well he mentions no hand-writing on the cover... :facepalm:

Each person's grading is subjective. Yee's VG- is this guy's 6.5. He is giving the grade he thinks the book deserves ( I am giving this comic a grade of Fine+ 6.5 ). It's up to buyers to judge from the scans if they agree/disagree with said grade. He has provided quite a few.

Not sure about the effort made at concealing the signature either. Sig on the book is faint to start, but pic #2 that he provided evidences it.

He has disclosed the resto.

Don't want to play devil's advocate. This guy is probably the piece of everyone paints him to be. Nonetheless, for this particular auction I just don't see it (shrug)

I'm just providing information...Harley Yee is a pretty respected grader/dealer...I've bought raw books off Harley at Cons and in all cases the books sent to CGC came back as either spot-on grade-wise or within 0.5 grade.

You wanna pay 6.5 price that is certainly your choice.

The handwriting on the cover is pretty subtle and could easily be missed by many bidders...of course when they got the book in hand they could be surprised/unhappy and look to return the book but what a hassle.

And come on...if anyone tried to not fully point out the handwriting on the cover on a sale here on the boards they'd be run out so fast it'd be like the Flash on speed...

And notice as well he mentions no hand-writing on the cover... :facepalm:

looks like he follows your posts pretty regularly...

You posted at 8:18 and within an hour his listing has been edited to not include the no hand-writing part of the description...

though I cant see in the revision history any note about the description change... maybe it was in the title (which was changed)

where are you seeing this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&_trksid=p2047675.l2569&rt=nc&item=261099956968

(shrug) huh? Where am I seeing what?

I see the link, and I see the revision history page (showing changes to the Title and the shipping.... oooooohhh wait *light just came on*

you mean the timing right? there are no edits in the time frame that I mentioned... got it... (typing and realization all in realtime)

Im confused because trmoore made the mention that the listing "mentions no hand-writing on the cover... " but I dont see that in the listing anywhere... so I assumed that the seller (who in the past has been aware of these type of threads) had changed the listing to avoid being caught in an act of deception... but I see your point, he hasnt edited anything but the title... so TR was that where the "mentions no handwriting on the cover" was?

ahhh there's the confusion I thought when you said:

"and notice he mentions no hand-writing on the cover.. "

you meant that he stated (mentions) that there was no hand-writing on the cover...

when you really meant that he did not mention the handwriting on the cover

confusion resolved...

I

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOURNEY-INTO-MYSTERY-83-1962-VG-1200-RESTORED-/230850413586?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35bfc1c412&nma=true&si=jLJ%2FeFYnUNCG6oDMgtGSdDDMLs0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

upgraded [alot...to 6.5 :o ] and selling less than one week later for $2100... :boo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-Into-Mystery-83-Vol-1-1962-1st-Appearance-Thor-Fine-6-5-/261099956968?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ccac52ae8

He did his best to make that signature on the front cover hard to detect, but.....this is the same book. And notice as well he mentions no hand-writing on the cover... :facepalm:

Each person's grading is subjective. Yee's VG- is this guy's 6.5. He is giving the grade he thinks the book deserves ( I am giving this comic a grade of Fine+ 6.5 ). It's up to buyers to judge from the scans if they agree/disagree with said grade. He has provided quite a few.

Not sure about the effort made at concealing the signature either. Sig on the book is faint to start, but pic #2 that he provided evidences it.

Don't want to play devil's advocate. This guy is probably the piece of everyone paints him to be. Nonetheless, for this particular auction I just don't see it (shrug)

I'm just providing information...Harley Yee is a pretty respected grader/dealer...I've bought raw books off Harley at Cons and in all cases the books sent to CGC came back as either spot-on grade-wise or within 0.5 grade.

The handwriting on the cover is pretty subtle and could easily be missed by many bidders...of course when they got the book in hand they could be surprised/unhappy and look to return the book but what a hassle.

And come on...if anyone tried to not fully point out the handwriting on the cover on a sale here on the boards they'd be run out so fast it'd be like the Flash on speed...

I agree with you on all points. Sellers on these boards ( at least for the most part ) are beyond reproach. This guy however, has a distinct "history". Surely he hopes to hook a less observant or less informed buyer. Caveat emptor, that is all.

Notwithstanding, I find nothing wrong with this particular listing.

I applaud however your constant diligence and appeal to any potential noob buyer to this guy's MO. :golfclap:

He currently has a JIM #83 F+ listed for $2100 that he purchased as a G+ for $1200. He does mention minor color touch in the description but that's a hefty grade jump.

Again... grading is subjective.

Have seen plenty examples of disagreeing with CGC's attributed grade, much less RAW books as is the case.

Besides, rule of thumb is when buying books they are usually under-graded and when selling, they're usually over-graded. This goes for most on ebay...

Not so sure about that one. I've seen a fair number of listings in sales threads that "let the scan do the talking," which is to say they did not point out writing, apparently rusty staples, tears, etc. that might have been overlooked by a bidder who failed to scrutinize the scan closely enough. Not saying it's necessarily a shady practice, but it happens and people are rarely called out for it -- unless they are newbies.

Not so sure about that one. I've seen a fair number of listings in sales threads that "let the scan do the talking," which is to say they did not point out writing, apparently rusty staples, tears, etc. that might have been overlooked by a bidder who failed to scrutinize the scan closely enough. Not saying it's necessarily a shady practice, but it happens and people are rarely called out for it -- unless they are newbies.

Of course most sellers here that would do that provide good scans (like the original seller of the book did) not pictures taken from strange angles designed to hide imperfections.

Of course most sellers here that would do that provide good scans (like the original seller of the book did) not pictures taken from strange angles designed to hide imperfections.

ala angled images perfected by robojo...

Right. Strange angle... completely obfuscated the writing. :eyeroll:

If censorship is to be based on pic angles, half the sellers on ebay are guilty of it.

130213.jpg.aced032a82517463d40f5adbec932f89.jpg

Right. Strange angle... completely obfuscated the writing.

As compared to:

2012September11_009.jpg

Yes, it is a strange angle that hides the writing.

As compared to:

2012September11_009.jpg

Not all have scanners suitable for CGC books. Many listings ( here, ebay , CL etc..) are done with pics as scanned images are just not possible.

And maybe, just maybe, if the guy took the trouble to take a pic of the top half of the cover, the intent was to show the writing on it...

As compared to:

2012September11_009.jpg

Not all have scanners suitable for CGC books. Many listings ( here, ebay , CL etc..) are done with pics as scanned images are just not possible.

So this guy who sells hundreds or thousands of books posts pictures at odd angles because he can't afford a scanner? Or is it because it is easier to lie about the grade and hide the imperfections with crappy pictures?

As compared to:

2012September11_009.jpg

So this guy who sells hundreds or thousands of books posts pictures at odd angles because he can't afford a scanner? Or is it because it is easier to lie about the grade and hide the imperfections with crappy pictures?

He most probably has a scanner. Why should he go out a buy another one? I own a scanner. Should I buy another one just to provide nicer CGC scans because mine doesn't ? Bid if you will, based on his pics. From what I can tell, he is not forcing anyone to....

As compared to:

2012September11_009.jpg

He most probably has a scanner. Why should he go out a buy another one? I own a scanner. Should I buy another one just to provide nicer CGC scans because mine doesn't ? Bid if you will, based on his scans. From what I can tell, he is not forcing anyone to..

Still having a tough time with the odd angle thing ... Maybe he needs a course in professional photography.

You do realize that book is raw right? What does a scanner being able to do CGC scans have to do with this book. The guy is a scammer, not sure why you are insisting on defending him and his practices.

He most probably has a scanner. Why should he go out a buy another one? I own a scanner. Should I buy another one just to provide nicer CGC scans because mine doesn't ? Bid if you will, based on his scans. From what I can tell, he is not forcing anyone to..

Still having a tough time with the odd angle thing ... Maybe he needs a course in professional photography.

I love a good "devil's advocate" argument as much as the next guy. But I don't think this is hill you want to die on. The seller has been shown to be a scammer in the past. No reason to think anything has changed. Further, just like with Hammer, there's merit to warning people even on the ones where there might not be anything explicitly wrong. If you support people like this, you help them get the funds for other scams.

I love a good "devil's advocate" argument as much as the next guy. But I don't think this is hill you want to die on. The seller has been shown to be a scammer in the past. No reason to think anything has changed. Further, just like with Hammer, there's merit to warning people even on the ones where there might not be anything explicitly wrong. If you support people like this, you help them get the funds for other scams.

Transplant, I agree with you. I am not saying, nor did I ever, that this guy is a trustworthy seller. All I'm saying, from the very start, is that THIS particular listing ... at least to me... I can't find anything wrong with it.

And I applauded trmoore's efforts a few posts back (thumbs u