• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Service Do You Use

8 posts in this topic

Free, Associate, Premium, or Elite?

I used the free membership when I first signed up for the registry. At the time I wasn't interested in getting my own books graded since I was just learning the system, not to mention I couldn't read them. I joined a good two years before I purchased my first graded book. I wasn't skeptical about the grading process, I was outright against it. As you can see my opinion has altered.

A few years ago I changed my free membership to an associate membership. This was $39.99. Upgrading allowed me to send in my own books rather than use the same day service CGC provided at Wizard World Philadelphia. During that first year I sent in only ten, after all I still had to test the waters.

If I send a book to CGC, there is a 98% chance I am doing it because I want to keep the book. The 4.5 copy of my New Mutants #15 is a testament to that fact. I have sold or tried to sell books but that was because I wanted to upgrade a book (either by grade or by signature) or possibly get something better. I began acquiring in 84', but I started to seriously collect in 86'. I use the word "seriously" to show the extreme difference between collecting and giving up meals. I don't pass on meals anymore but I will save for a comic book before anything else.

My membership advanced again this year, this time to a premium membership due to winning the best Copper set for my New Mutants collection. This also gave me a coupon for 4 free comics to be graded; of course I just have to figure out which four to send in. I will eventually send more of my New Mutants and Sandman books but I also want to get a few older books graded that might get a 9.0 or higher.

What is your membership tier? How much do you spend to send books in? Or do you buy books already graded. Has anyone purchased an Elite Membership?

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

I've always had a free membership because I don't see the benefit of purchasing a paid membership. Anytime I want to send in books to CGC for grading I just print off one of the various CGC submission forms available from other CGC partners (e.g. comicspriceguide.com, etc.) which also provides a 10% discount.

Going forward though I'll be looking pick up more books that are already graded. It's less stress (are my books going to receive grades that justify what I spent on them?), less hastle (no need to pack/ship myself), and of course there's the instant gratification factor (no waiting 6 months to receive my books). Sure it sometimes costs a little more, but considering the other factors I just mentioned, it's money well spent.

I will still submit my own books on occaision though simply because it's fun not knowing what grades you'll receive, and you could end up with a fantastic bargain.

sig.jpg

I have had a membership for 2 years and I always buy the premium. If you have several high dollar books, the free coupon easily pays for the account. The standard tier for books valued up to 1k is 60 bucks a book. The account costs 125, so you are basically paying for 2, and getting 2 free, but had you paid for those 2 free ones, you would have paid what the account costs, so in a round-about way, the account is essentially free. Provided you have some high dollar books to submit that is.

I got the Associate my first year and then upgraded to Premium this year. The 4 coupons basically pay for the membership, as long as you have some older comics to grade... Hmmm... Elite?!?!! I didn't even realize there was such a thing... I'll have to see what you get with that.

Like you, I had the free membership up until last year. I would only do a book or two at Philadelphia CC each year (soon increasing to at least one book over 3-4 cons per year). I went to premium last year out of necessity.

rantrant Last year the CGC did a benefit signing with Joe Quesada (proceeds went to the Hero Initiative) and I wanted to participate for not only the charity but a first sig series book and for Quesada. The book I wanted done? Wolverine Origins 2 with the Canadian flag variant. The problem? I didn't own it! Time to begin the search for the book.

You may or may not know that I live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest comic store is 30 mins. Second closest is an hour and keep in mind time is of the essence so there was no Ebay or some other online sites because the shipping "could" take too long and I'd miss the event. So I called the closest with no results and followed up with the second. BINGO! He had it! But since he was an hour drive, I wanted to make sure I was getting my money's worth. I didn't want to come back empty handed because he was asking too much.

"Sorry sir. Store policy is we don't share prices over the phone."

WHAT?!?! In the day and age where I can bring up several vendors and the prices on their items in an instant over the internet, they aren't sharing prices over the phone? Already feeling that I was being scammed I just decided to go with what I already owned (maybe sometime in the future I'll get that book). I had the Wolverine Origin series. It was lovingly purchased for me by my wife, at the time when the issues came out. Read them several times, but didn't think they would do well in the grading. Deciding that I really didn't have a choice, if I wanted to participate in the event, I went with issue 1. Now how do I get it there?

Called up my newly acquired friend at the CGC to find out I had to go through a business to have the book sent. Went back to what I could do locally. The dealer 30 mins doesn't participate. The guy an hour away does. I tried to set everything up over the phone and before the conversation ended it was going to cost me $300 just to ship and return the book!!!!

"Well sir, you have to figure my employee's time to pack the book and cost of materials to do so. Store policy is the book needs to be insured for both trips. Our mark up on what the CGC fully charges to get books done..add in this....add in that...."*click* - I just hung up on the dude.

I guess this is just a long winded way of sharing how I came to the Premium membership. The charity got their money. I got my signature. I got a grade of 9.8 on my first SS book, and a book that was important to me on a personal level. And a business (of business that are hard to run in this economy) lost a (what could have been a loyal) customer.

Sure the membership fee was almost half from what this dude was going to charge me, but the benefits way outweigh that. The shipping cost was noting near what the shop was going to charge me. Before the end of that year the "free" submissions and discount way made up what I spent in memberships (and yes I found my Wolverine Origins 2 Canadian variant and used it in the free submission). Like I said earlier I've come around doing 3-4 conventions a year so I don't ship books out I just compile what I want to get done before that convention and submit them on site. With the discount I've been able to fit an extra book or two and still be within my budget.

I've looked at the membership as something I can drop if I can't get my money back out of it. With the free submissions - that makes that choice hard. This year my membership was gifted to me by a family member as a present. Extra bonus!

Will I move to Elite? At this time it is unlikely. Not enough perks to make it worth my while. At this time I don't care what the grader's notes are. Why would I pay extra for that for something that won't change why my comic got the grade it got. I guess it would be a good tool to use to better myself in what to look for in flaws - but I could do that with web research over a yearly membership.

Thank you for joining me for my rant. I hope you found it informative. Please tune in for the next one. lol!

@Sirbestow

Great Story. Would have loved to have read this in the journals all by itself, i feel that it is worthy that everyone would read that rather those that look at my journal. I am curious if you would send me that store that was so uncooperative. Please just send me an e-mail. There are a few people I love to buy things from and go out of my way but I also am unforgiving in stores that treat us like they don't need us. I too would also like to bad him from my list of people I deal with...no matter how far away he might be from me. Thank you for sharing.

@Tnerb thanks! Long time listener, first time caller. (AKA - read the journals written by you, but rarely write. lol)

In reflection the jerk helped me get the membership. I don't think I even considered joining up until then. It was the fateful e-mail from the CGC, a chance to start a Signature Series collection, a chance to help a cause and a chance to get an autograph from a really great guy (met Joe Quesada on several occasions prior). I could have gotten an autograph from him later (and as a matter of fact did! later last year) but this was for something special.

All of the immediate family and myself felt that he was taking advantage and stealing from a charity for personal gain. I mean I understand that you need to cover your costs and make some money for pocket, but at a 500% mark up? Come on! He might not be hurting from not getting my business, but he's not getting new business from it either - nor word of mouth. Shame because I'm extremely loyal to people who do well.

Elite thoughts. I'd like to revisit this topic after going to Baltimore and you know what would make me consider Elite? They can go ahead and keep the little "extra" we'll show you your notes add on, but I think what would sell it for me is a signature series option.

They can either do the 4 books free and 2 signature series books or do something like either use your coupon for 4 free books OR 2 signature series.

I'm getting to the phase of my collection where my collection is moving more towards autographs or original sketch covers. I would LOVE the option to use my coupon (if they don't add a second one) to help me with the hobby.

I do know there are downfalls and possibly restrictions to this. The obvious one is that this only covers your grading. Some creators charge and I would understand that you would have to pay above and beyond for those creators - or some won't be available like Stan Lee where the SS goes through a 3rd party.

The next one might be to pick your battles to when you can use it. I noticed at Baltimore that the CGC underestimated how busy it was going to be and was understaffed for witnesses and other. About mid-day they were turning people down for SS because they didn't have enough witnesses and had run out of forms (of course with the collectors society membership the advantage is having a pre-printed out form AND I was told at one con THAT was the only way they would recognize your Collector's Society membership).

That is what would make me consider Elite. Again if the option was to trade in the coupon for either one or the other, I don't think it would alienate some who might not be into the signatures. The $5 fluff, throw-away option, just isn't for me.