• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Reproduction Covers
1 1

78 posts in this topic

This is weird. I've been trying to post to this forum all week, and nothing made it through. Now suddenly, ALL of my posts appear at once. I've been in contact with Brittany from CGC, maybe she worked some magic. Now my question is , HOW do you delete embarrassing, redundant posts ???

update: I hid the redundant ones. Now I feel better. :)

Edited by Cliff R.
found my answer.

These are beautiful.

I had a thought.

DC released the high res print artwork (at least 300 dpi) for "alternate universe" comic book covers that were featured on the TV show Fringe. From what I understand, the actual props were dummy copies.

I've had the idea for awhile to try to mock-up the original interior ads and back cover with the Fringe alternate universe covers. (For instance, a Crisis #7 where Superman dies in place of Supergirl.) Then attach to the original books or closest equivalent.

I wonder if this would be possible... and (perhaps more of a longshot) if the book could be submitted for a qualified or qualified/restored grade.

I would really like to own a slabbed copy of Crisis #7 with the variant cover. There's also a Justice League International with Jonah Hex replacing Guy Gardner.

The other prop covers would be imperfect matches. For example, Green Lantern/Green Arrow became Red Lantern/Red Arrow. Batman #75 with a cover date of 1992. There's no such book to attach the cover to.

But Crisis #7 is doable. And a cheap enough book I'd consider it.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:17 AM, Fedoraman said:

If you have good scans, I can make what you describe.

I have made a few alternative covers such as the Ditko AF#15.

Do you have the alternative Strange Tales #110 cover?

cover.jpg

So - these are super cool! 

I do seem to remember, however, that someone had also done repro versions of dust jackets for the hardcover reprint books from the late 60s & early 70s. Been looking for them, but have come up empty.

I've been working on just such a project for a couple of my books, but will probably stop after this most recent project. I'm curious if anyone else is doing this - it's such a niche market (since the books back then were so scarcely published) I haven't been able to find anything online.

As for my own projects, I've made my repros significantly different enough to be spotted as repros, but I also added "Reproduction by Brian G. Philbin" to the inside for noobs (an advantage of having a two-sided piece which is blank on one side).

My current project (which will likely do me in for this in the future) is a repro of "Secret Origins of the DC Super-Heroes" dust jacket. It's *super* difficult, as I'm nowhere near the artist that Neal Adams is. But what I do is scan at the highest resolution possibly, then blow up specific portions to work with the lines that were too small to reproduce properly (or were distorted by the zip-a-tone style coloring in some areas). With this, I've been able to enhance some of the details lost to the limitations of the printing process of the time, such as Wonder Woman's eyes on the front cover, the linework of the Batman logo on the back (of which there are two) and ensuring that all the blacks are as robust as possible. Mostly, though - outside of color enhancement required due to fading of the scanned source material - I just try to leave alone the actual ink artwork so as to reproduce the intention faithfully.

These projects (the other is Shazam! from the 40s to the 70s) are really for my own pleasure, but if someone else were interested, I wouldn't be adverse to making additional copies available for sale to those who might be interested.

For examples of my reproduction/enhancement work, see the Legion or 100 Page Super Specacular images on my website: 
http://www.metropolisplus.com/LOSH/
http://metropolisplus.com/dc100page/

And if any of you does know of someone providing this service, *please* tell me - I'm feeling very done with this at the moment and would love to have repro dust jackets for my other hardbacks - Thanks!

BP

Edited by BGPhilbiln

That looks cool - not sure if you are trying to solicit buyers in my thread or not lol

But since you bumped - I want to let folks know that I still make reproduction covers.  If I can get source material - I can make the cover.