• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 52 club
5 5

286 posts in this topic

Is 52 the new 48?

48 has a very high supply, more than any other key from the low to mid 1960s. If not for the supply differences, 48 would blow 52 away because it is definitely more desirable. Even great copies of 49 and 50--which are the last two parts of the three-part Surfer story as well as the first covers featuring Galactus and Silver Surfer--blow 52 away. If 48 were as hard to get as 49, 50, and 52, it would go for at least triple what it does.

I've liked the growth potential of 52 for quite a while and own three raw copies in the 8.5 to 9.2 range to go along with this one.

ff52.jpg

Is 52 the new 48?

48 has a very high supply, more than any other key from the low to mid 1960s. If not for the supply differences, 48 would blow 52 away because it is definitely more desirable. Even great copies of 49 and 50--which are the last two parts of the three-part Surfer story as well as the first covers featuring Galactus and Silver Surfer--blow 52 away. If 48 were as hard to get as 49, 50, and 52, it would go for at least triple what it does.

I've liked the growth potential of 52 for quite a while and own three raw copies in the 8.5 to 9.2 range to go along with this one.

ff52.jpg

....I remember when you won snagged that one....BIN on eBay. I'm STILL envious. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I just got another one from Dan....a real decent white paged old label 8.5. It's one of my favorite SA comics.....the FF was full of nobility and grandeur back then. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Is 52 the new 48?

Are you saying that up to 48 (included) the magazine had a highest print run?

Curious, because some 15 years ago I had no difficutlty in purchasing decently priced low/mid grade copies of #49, #50 and #52 but #48 was already pricey.

WTTB, bb8!

That's a nice, solid copy! :applause:

Thanks man! I must say, though, your collection is epic. My tastes are along the same as yours: bronze and silver Marvel. Except for very rare exceptions, I stick solely to exactly that. Although I haven't tried collecting all 20 years! Holy , man! What an undertaking!

Are you saying that up to 48 (included) the magazine had a highest print run?

No, I have no evidence that 48 had any larger print run than any other issue of FF, but I have seen evidence that it was hoarded--probably mistakenly--in warehouses and later found. This isn't uncommon at all since newsstand sellers always had the option of returning their unsold copies to the distributor prior to the 1980s. The distributor was supposed to destroy the returned copies, but sometimes that didn't happen either mistakenly or at times on purpose. Chuck Rozanski's Mile High 2 collection was all undestroyed distributor returns, and FF 48 was in that one, although I haven't heard how many copies were present in that find and presume it wasn't all that many. However, I've heard accounts of very large numbers of high grade copies of FF 48 being available before Rozanski found the Mile High 2 stash, so I'm led to conclude that FF 48 was discovered in multiple warehouse finds. Certainly the far higher population of that issue relative to other desirable issues of FF serves to confirm the idea that a lot of copies were stashed away somewhere.

Don't you think that the majority of the hoarded F.F. 48's have been dissipated into collections by now though?

I have a few stashed Dave ;)

FF48.jpg

:applause:(worship) Two of my favorite first appearances in this one with the Surfer and Galactus.