• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 52 club
5 5

286 posts in this topic

No way have I got the quality of issues that you lads have but over 11,000 in total……however…………I started collecting in the early 70’s, stopped reading around mid 80’s but continued collecting until 2004………soooooooo well over 15 years of totally unread comics……………does that classify as OCD :grin:

That is a bingo my friend. (thumbs u

No way have I got the quality of issues that you lads have but over 11,000 in total……however…………I started collecting in the early 70’s, stopped reading around mid 80’s but continued collecting until 2004………soooooooo well over 15 years of totally unread comics……………does that classify as OCD :grin:

Yep, you're one of us :insane:

No, I have no evidence that 48 had any larger print run than any other issue of FF, but I have seen evidence that it was hoarded--probably mistakenly--in warehouses and later found. This isn't uncommon at all since newsstand sellers always had the option of returning their unsold copies to the distributor prior to the 1980s. The distributor was supposed to destroy the returned copies, but sometimes that didn't happen either mistakenly or at times on purpose. Chuck Rozanski's Mile High 2 collection was all undestroyed distributor returns, and FF 48 was in that one, although I haven't heard how many copies were present in that find and presume it wasn't all that many. However, I've heard accounts of very large numbers of high grade copies of FF 48 being available before Rozanski found the Mile High 2 stash, so I'm led to conclude that FF 48 was discovered in multiple warehouse finds. Certainly the far higher population of that issue relative to other desirable issues of FF serves to confirm the idea that a lot of copies were stashed away somewhere.

Don't you think that the majority of the hoarded F.F. 48's have been dissipated into collections by now though?

If you're asking me if I think they're still sitting either in a warehouse or en masse in a dealer's inventory, no, I think they've all entered collections...but so many collections that it is the most-flipped issue of Fantastic Four I've ever seen by a huge margin as compared to almost all others. At any given time there are usually half a dozen to several dozen high grade copies up for sale. There are a few other issues that were quite clearly present in some sort of stash--44 and 59 jump immediately to mind--but 48 sees more traffic due to its popularity and price.

Here is my 3 so far.......

forforums_FF52_foreigngroup.jpg

Pretty threesome! The one on the right (German?) is a nice contrast as it shows more details on Black Panther with the lighter colors.

Yes German... (thumbs u I just sent the money on a deal for the Dutch one today so I hope to have that addition to this set soon.... :wishluck:

Yea, I like the lighter colors as well.... I agree its cool to see more detail in Black Panther's outfit! (thumbs u