• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 52 light blue amulet or light blue ring

54 posts in this topic

Regarding the 2006 reprint...

Written by STAN LEE Penciled by JACK KIRBY Cover by JACK KIRBY. Introducing the sensational Black Panther! In time for the wedding of the century comes this cover-to-cover facsimile of T'Challa's first appearance from FANTASTIC FOUR #52 (July 1966)! Scanned straight from a printed copy of the original, this keepsake edition includes all story pages, ads and text pieces - reproduced exactly as they appeared 40 years ago this month! Cover price $2.99.

That means the reprint has a $2.99 price printed somewhere in the comic?

This should be our ultimate answer to this mystery

Regarding the 2006 reprint...

Written by STAN LEE Penciled by JACK KIRBY Cover by JACK KIRBY. Introducing the sensational Black Panther! In time for the wedding of the century comes this cover-to-cover facsimile of T'Challa's first appearance from FANTASTIC FOUR #52 (July 1966)! Scanned straight from a printed copy of the original, this keepsake edition includes all story pages, ads and text pieces - reproduced exactly as they appeared 40 years ago this month! Cover price $2.99.

That means the reprint has a $2.99 price printed somewhere in the comic?

This should be our ultimate answer to this mystery

^^

There is no price on the reprint cover

I think those reprints the covers are basically color copies. So if the Book they used had the defect that would explain it.

There's an FF 52 club thread in silver. Lots of examples there to look at. I scanned mine yesterday but haven't posted yet.

So what you're saying is the "blue amulet" we see on the BP on some copies of FF 52 is a printing defect? hm

JC Penney used a FF 52 with the printing defect as their "master" to go by when they did their print run for the reprints? hm

Sounds plausible, and I hope you're right.

BTW, I visited the FF 52 Club thread in Silver Age, and no mention was made of this. I guess no one is concerned because it's a non-issue?

I wish I could see the so called "printing defect" up close with a jewelers loupe just to make sure.

You can tell the reprints.

I had a FF 66 that was one of those reprints.

Modern ads were on the back cover.

I'm wondering if you're talking about a "printer's donut". Not sure what the technical term for it is, but a printing artifact. A small random ring of color.

Here's a 52 with one visible right on BP's chest strap...

%24(KGrHqR,!jYE%2BpswuPpDBP7NH)Ym9Q~~60_57.JPG

It's a printers defect. Look at the blue dot on his face also.

Holy :censored: CGC is not perfect. But how many other errors like this have slipped by. An FF 52 9.0 and up that is a JCP reprint that CGC coded as a first print is a difference of lots of $$$ and potentialy could be considered a fraud on any unsuspecting buyers. (tsk)

Imagine this if you bought a 9.8 presented as a first print and later discovered that CGC the be all and end all in gradilng screwed up.

What recourse would you have?

hm

There wasn't any error, so you can rest easy tonight. The slab referenced was an original, 12 cent, 1st print

I'm wondering if you're talking about a "printer's donut". Not sure what the technical term for it is, but a printing artifact. A small random ring of color.

The printing lingo for that is a "hickey". It's a bit of dust or crud on the plate that keeps one of the colors from laying down properly in that area. If it's not on all of the FF 52's, it's probably because someone on the press noticed it, cleaned the plate and resumed the run.

Here's a 52 with one visible right on BP's chest strap...

%24(KGrHqR,!jYE%2BpswuPpDBP7NH)Ym9Q~~60_57.JPG

It's a printers defect. Look at the blue dot on his face also.

This blue dot happens to be the Christmas variant. T'Challa was emulating (or is that amulating) Rudolph's red nose in his own respectful way.

It's highly rare to see T'Challa imitate another religion's symbolism, showing that he was deeply moved in some way in this issue.

We might be seeing a Santa Claus cameo in the movie.

The printing lingo for that is a "hickey". It's a bit of dust or crud on the plate that keeps one of the colors from laying down properly in that area. If it's not on all of the FF 52's, it's probably because someone on the press noticed it, cleaned the plate and resumed the run.

If it's a hickey I suspect it's an erotic variant. CGC should not slab those. They are bad.

Definitively a common printing defect, here's my copy:

So did the modern reprint use a "hickey" cover for replicating? Is that the bottom line? Or are eBayers just hijacking Lone Star's stock image?

'Blue amulet variant'. :ohnoez: Gotta love the creativity. :D

If it's a hickey I suspect it's an erotic variant. CGC should not slab those. They are bad.

Erotic variant... hm

Holy :censored: CGC is not perfect. But how many other errors like this have slipped by. An FF 52 9.0 and up that is a JCP reprint that CGC coded as a first print is a difference of lots of $$$ and potentialy could be considered a fraud on any unsuspecting buyers. (tsk)

Imagine this if you bought a 9.8 presented as a first print and later discovered that CGC the be all and end all in gradilng screwed up.

What recourse would you have?

hm

There wasn't any error, so you can rest easy tonight. The slab referenced was an original, 12 cent, 1st print

I collected the various 1993 and 1994 JCP reprints back in about 1994 and 1995. The 1994 reprints typically had an indicia that indicated "Second printing." Most, if not all, of the 1993 reprints had no indication that they were reprints except for the fact that they had modern ads. So when you have a reprint of FF 51, it's rather obvious it's a reprint because there's a back cover ad with Wolverine in it. But the reprints of the modern books aren't so obvious because they're modern books with modern ads.

I sent a few JCP variants to be graded years ago, and even though I noted them as reprints when I sent them in, I ended up with ASM 330 and New Warriors 3 reprints that are in CGC holders as originals.

AmazingSpiderman330VariantCGC.jpg

NewWarriors3variantCGC.jpg

NewWarriors3bc.jpg

But the reprints of the modern books aren't so obvious because they're modern books with modern ads.

I sent a few JCP variants to be graded years ago, and even though I noted them as reprints when I sent them in, I ended up with ASM 330 and New Warriors 3 reprints that are in CGC holders as originals.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

scared_large.png

But the reprints of the modern books aren't so obvious because they're modern books with modern ads.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

They offered to reholder the books for free, but I opted to hang onto the books as they are.

There was a thread recently that involved one or more mis-identified first prints of TMNT #1. IIRC, CGC resolved the matter to the satisfaction of those involved.

If you want someone who's perfect to grade your books, call God and see if He will do it. Otherwise, you've got humans doing the grading and humans make mistakes. As long as they're willing to resolve the mistakes, I'm okay with it.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

They offered to reholder the books for free, but I opted to hang onto the books as they are.

There was a thread recently that involved one or more mis-identified first prints of TMNT #1. IIRC, CGC resolved the matter to the satisfaction of those involved.

If you want someone who's perfect to grade your books, call God and see if He will do it. Otherwise, you've got humans doing the grading and humans make mistakes. As long as they're willing to resolve the mistakes, I'm okay with it.

Would it be poor form to ask what God's turn around time is?

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

Would it be poor form to ask what God's turn around time is?

Well, he won't be doing any grading on Sundays. :gossip: