• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAMOUS MONSTERS #4 / GHOUL'S EYE STICKER VARIANT

25 posts in this topic

I'd be more concerned with those "Production" creases (or whatever they are) on the #1 and the considerable edge tanning on the #4.

Still, I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed... :)

and another question; does the stamped pence prices on those sent over to the british market, affect the price much?? (My # 3 has the black Pence stamp on it).

I could NOT live with #1 and the spine roll. I hate spine roll and it would drive me crazy knowing that the spine roll is there. I noticed those creases, too. I could probably live with those two or three creases if the magazine did not have spine roll.

#4 and most of the older issues have some edge tanning. That is caused by Warren's cheap paper emitting acid and gases on a molecular level from the page to the cover. The process can be stopped if you put micro-chamber paper between the front cover and first page, and back cover and last page. Also, sticking a sheet in the center (like I do with my old issues) wouldn't hurt. That spine issue (bulge/indentation) with #4 is indicative of poor storage, looks ugly, and could affect the entire solidity of the magazine pages.

If the pence price stamp affects the collector price, it should be UPWARD! After FM ##1 and 2 NO other issues of FM were actually printed in the U.K. Warren shipped copies of FM printed in the U.S. to the U.K. where the magazine stores stamped them with the 2'6 in the small circle before distributing them. The FMs sold in the U.K. are EXACTLY the same as those sold in the U.S., except for the British price stamped on the cover.

No one really knows the true number, but logic would dictate that there are at least 20 FMs without the British price stamp to those with it (the ratio is probably alot highter). Which is rarer??? If you come across a high grade older FM the British price stamp is a nonissue. At worst, it is a neutral factor in determining the condition of the magazine.

Mike

The auction ended yesterday and after 40 bids someone paid $1,875 for the FM #1 with spine roll and creases! - Mike

Famous Monsters of Filmland #1 (Warren & Ackerman, 1958) Very Scarce!

Ended: Sep 17, 201221:38:00 PDT

Winning bid: US $1,875.00

[ 40 bids ]

Shipping: $3.95 Standard Shipping

Item location: Yonkers, NY, United States

Seller: hotrodjr87 ( 217)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Famous-Monsters-of-Filmland-1-Warren-Ackerman-1958-Very-Scarce-/330790845185?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=zoB9T7rJxr2w4%2F9BK5QCr9d99ck%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

i have a beautiful copy with the ghouls eye sticker. My problem is that i sent it in to be graded and they returned it saying they could not authenticate the sticker so they would not grade it. Does your 2.0 have the variant aknowleged on the label?

This is insane! :o

Does CGC expect you to get a sworn affidavit from James Warren to attest to the fact the Ghouls Eye sticker is authentic?

Perhaps it may be worthwhile to write an email to Mr. Warren? You have nothing to lose. Explain your situation and include the written response of CGC.

Jim Warren has a website: http://jimwarrenpublishing.com/

He may take an interst in this extremely unique situation.

I believe CGC recognizes the variant, but the grader told me that it would be to easy to make a sticker and add it after the fact. Has anyone seen any comic or magazine with a sticker acknowledged on a CGC label? Maybe this is their internal rule.

i can see their point though. would it be that hard with technology we have today to print those stickers and put them on regular number 4's? it would massively increase the value.

I don't know. You would have to be an expert forger who has worked with paper before (counterfeiting philatelic material, paper money, etc.). Complicating the process would be obtaining the paper they used to print the stickers.

If it wasn't done right even a novice collector would pick up on a forgery of the "Ghoul's Eye" sticker. Look at the reissues. Granted, they weren't trying to counterfeit an original, but anyone just casually glancing at the reissued magazines can tell they are not originals.

Also, if a forger was going to go through all that trouble he would not do it just to sell one magazine. He would be looking to sell multiple copies. That means he would have to obtain the normal FM #4 at great expense in order to affix a sticker and get 30% or 40% more than he paid for it when selling the counterfeit.

Sorry, but someone who is good at this kind of thing can make big illegal bucks putting in less time on something else. Counterfeiting monster magazines is probably not high on the forger's list of projects! lol

CGC simply has no category for the FM #4 and FM #6 sticker variants and that is, more than likely, the real reason they won't grade them!

Mike